Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Why the Irish Voted No - The Economist

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Fer Jaysus sake lads -were in a recession we fuppin need EU money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The EU didn't find the NR bailout uncompetitive some months before the Irish banks situation. Yet, a couple of months later, after being requested for help and being told that 'we were on our own' an investigation is launched and we are threatened with fines.
    So now you're complaining that the Irish bank bail-out was investigated? Just like the British government’s buyout of NR was investigated? I fail to see the inconsistency. What fines are you referring to by the way?
    Well, it would seem from the latest polls, that it is written assurances on corporate taxation, neutrality, a commissioner are what is required for a Yes vote.
    Such assurances are apparently not that effective. A safeguard on our position re abortion was included in the treaty in black and white, yet some people still cited "It would allow the introduction of European legislation in Ireland, such as gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia" as a reason to vote 'No'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Apologies Leonard about the vagueness of my posts. Perhaps it will help you understand why some people are a bit concerned about the vagueness of the Lisbon Treaty and why some assurances might be the difference in changing the vote.

As for the bullying claim - apologies again, I didn't notice your post at the end of the other thread and that is why I didn't respond (I do have to do some work every now and again!).

The sequence of events that I recall (and I don't have time to look up newspaper references are).

1. On the morning that the Irish Gov. bailout of Irish banks - Brian Lenihan said on 'Morning Ireland' that he had contacted the EU for advice to be told by the EU that we were on our own. (I think they have now set up a hotline for Finance Ministers! ;) )

2. Later that day the Commissioner responsible for competition announced that this could be uncompetitive.

3. It was after this that the British Gov. complained.

Key thing to remember here is that according to Brian Lenihan, he did contact the EU. How come someone didn't mention uncompetitiveness then?

Its the results of their involvement that is the important thing. The EU didn't find the NR bailout uncompetitive some months before the Irish banks situation. Yet, a couple of months later, after being requested for help and being told that 'we were on our own' an investigation is launched and we are threatened with fines.

All this is dropped when it is discovered that the rest of Europe is in exactly the same mess as we are!

Firstly, apologies if I was bit abrupt in my post; I get that way sometimes.

Just a couple of points: I don't remember, and can't find any reference to what Brian Lenihan was told by the EU at the outset of the bank plan. To be told "we were on our own" seems strange considering the plan clearly would be very controversial regarding financial sector competitiveness (as it proved to be, particularly with British institutions). I'd really like to know in what context Brian Lenihan was speaking, or the context of exactly what he was told by the EU.

Also, I think you're getting caught up in the minor details over the reaction of the EU to the NR bailout and the Irish plan. The main point, imo, is that the EU investigated both plans in the context of anti-competitiveness. I definitely don't consider the EU to be "bullying" Ireland in this regard, as the original plan was hastily put together and had quite a few problems, which have since been sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Firstly, apologies if I was bit abrupt in my post; I get that way sometimes.

Just a couple of points: I don't remember, and can't find any reference to what Brian Lenihan was told by the EU at the outset of the bank plan. To be told "we were on our own" seems strange considering the plan clearly would be very controversial regarding financial sector competitiveness (as it proved to be, particularly with British institutions). I'd really like to know in what context Brian Lenihan was speaking, or the context of exactly what he was told by the EU.

Also, I think you're getting caught up in the minor details over the reaction of the EU to the NR bailout and the Irish plan. The main point, imo, is that the EU investigated both plans in the context of anti-competitiveness. I definitely don't consider the EU to be "bullying" Ireland in this regard, as the original plan was hastily put together and had quite a few problems, which have since been sorted out.

It was a quote from Brian Lenihan on 'Morning Ireland' (probably about 7.20am) on the morning of the announcement that the Irish Gov. were going to guarantee Irish banks. Perhaps it is archived on RTE, but I don't have time to look for it now.

I would not expect to find that quote in the Irish Times somehow or other. ;)

As regards anti-competitiveness - the EU had investigated NR and somehow or other it was not deemed to be anti-competitive (imo, it doesn't matter what the economic climate is - it either is or it isn't anti-competitive) but it seems strange that 3/4 hours after being told we were on our own, the EU announces that we could be in trouble with competitiveness. Why didn't they say to Brian Lenihan that we could be in trouble/fined for anti-competiveness.

Either they (EU Bureaucrats) are not up to the job of running the EU, or else they were trying strong arm tactics to bully Ireland (which will never work on us). They really are clueless when it comes to PR though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

According to RTE news Programmes, it did. I choose to believe what RTE reports.

Okay so who questioned the NR move and what became of it? A link would be nice.
    Well, it would seem from the latest polls, that it is written assurances on corporate taxation, neutrality, a commissioner are what is required for a Yes vote.

Our Corporate Tax was not under threat from the Treaty. I have seen absolutely no proof to suggest it was in months of debating the point.

Our neutrality was secured in that we did not have to partake in action if we did not want to.

The reduction of the Commission was set in stone in the Nice Treaty, not in the Lisbon Treaty. While the Lisbon Treaty did in fact specify that "we" (they are not representatives of Ireland, buit lets ignore that point for now) would lose a permament Commissioner I'm at a loss as to what the alternative is for a small country like Ireland on a reduced Commission. What better deal could we have gotten other than complete equality with all other states?
    Are you going to stop this nonsense of ignorant 'no voters' etc now? And stop making clueless judgements as to how I vote. I'm beginning to think you work for Libertas, because your posts are enough to turn anyone away with having anything to do with the EU.
    Indeed - Pro-European organisation - disclaimer on inside cover even from them that they don't stand over this report.

Oh, and Peter Sutherland is Chairman of the organisation.

More EU propaganda!

If you read my post correctly I made no such judgements on No voters as a whole. In fact I said things like "if" the data we were seeing was true and qualifying my statements by saying things like "some" No voters were ignorant as "some" Yes voters were also. If you can prove the studies wrong or prove that all No voters were completely enlightened on the Treaty then please fire away, otherwise stop leaping to conclusions about what I was saying. The evidence that we have seen thus far suggests ignorance, its not me saying that.

Your points above show a blatant ignorance of the Treaty themselves anyway. You lambast me for taking certain peoples words for things yet you seem all too happy to do the same with a different shower. At the very least I have provided numerous links over the months to substantiate my position. Rather than poo-pooing them maybe it might be a bit more productive to provide some of your own.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    So now you're complaining that the Irish bank bail-out was investigated? Just like the British government’s buyout of NR was investigated? I fail to see the inconsistency. What fines are you referring to by the way?

I'm not complaining about the Irish bank bail-out being investigated. I'm pointing out that the EU failed to point out the Brian Lenihan when he contacted them that we could be subject to fines if it was found that what we were doing was anti-competitive (not that we had much option other than to bail them out).

Fines for breaching EU anti-competition law. (when other countries started doing the same thing as Ireland, all mention of anti-competition was dropped).
    Such assurances are apparently not that effective. A safeguard on our position re abortion was included in the treaty in black and white, yet some people still cited "It would allow the introduction of European legislation in Ireland, such as gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia" as a reason to vote 'No'.

I know a few people who voted 'No' to Lisbon. Not one of them voted 'no' for the reasons you give above.

I'm not complaining about the Irish bank bail-out being investigated. I'm pointing out that the EU failed to point out the Brian Lenihan when he contacted them that we could be subject to fines if it was found that what we were doing was anti-competitive (not that we had much option other than to bail them out).

Do you know exactly what he told the EU and exactly what their response was, or do you just know Cowens paraphrased version? If, for example, the EU had said "Listen do what you need to but if there are complaints you're on your own" that would be a very different kettle of fish. Are we even sure that Cowen gave them a decent run through of the proposals, or did he just paraphrase there too? With so little background detail its very hard to know.
    Fines for breaching EU anti-competition law. (when other countries started doing the same thing as Ireland, all mention of anti-competition was dropped).

This may sound like a silly point, but if everyone is doing it how could it be anti-competitive?
    I know a few people who voted 'No' to Lisbon. Not one of them voted 'no' for the reasons you give above.

Fair enough, and most of us have admitted that there are genuine reasons for a No vote and not every No voter was "ignorant".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

It was a quote from Brian Lenihan on 'Morning Ireland' (probably about 7.20am) on the morning of the announcement that the Irish Gov. were going to guarantee Irish banks. Perhaps it is archived on RTE, but I don't have time to look for it now.

I would not expect to find that quote in the Irish Times somehow or other. ;)

As regards anti-competitiveness - the EU had investigated NR and somehow or other it was not deemed to be anti-competitive (imo, it doesn't matter what the economic climate is - it either is or it isn't anti-competitive) but it seems strange that 3/4 hours after being told we were on our own, the EU announces that we could be in trouble with competitiveness. Why didn't they say to Brian Lenihan that we could be in trouble/fined for anti-competiveness.

Either they (EU Bureaucrats) are not up to the job of running the EU, or else they were trying strong arm tactics to bully Ireland (which will never work on us). They really are clueless when it comes to PR though!

I'm just repeating myself now, so this is my last post on this (I hope!). We don't know in what context Brian Lenihan was speaking, and we don't know exactly what was said by the EU when they were contacted about the bank guarantee. I've done a lot of searching and I can't find any links or sources.

The EU investigated the NR bailout and found it wasn't anti-competitive. One reason, from the FT is:
    British officials pointed Dublin to the example set when the government nationalised Northern Rock last February: the bank promised it would not use its taxpayer guarantee to boost its market share of retail deposits above 1.5 per cent.

The original Irish guarantee was clearly anti-competitive, as also described in that FT link. Once the Irish plan was tightened up, the EU were happy with it.

I personally find comments about the EU being "bully's", or phrases like "United States of Europe" ridiculous in the extreme; I really think people should have a bit more common sense. I don't see the problem in the EU's response to the bank guarantee, but it's an easy target for eurosceptics to put a lot of spin on.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Okay so who questioned the NR move and what became of it? A link would be nice.

I don't know who questioned the NR move.

It was Neelie Kroes, European Commissioner for Competition who quetioned the Irish Gov. bank guarantee (on the same day as the announcement of the Guarantee). The British Gov. got in on the act a couple of days later (2/3 days).
    Our Corporate Tax was not under threat from the Treaty. I have seen absolutely no proof to suggest it was in months of debating the point.

Thats the thing - we don't trust the EU on this because we know that the two most powerful countries in the EU (France & Germany) would prefer if we didn't have a 12% tax rate. Written assurances might help.
    Our neutrality was secured in that we did not have to partake in action if we did not want to.

You believe it, quite a few don't feel so assured about it.
    The reduction of the Commission was set in stone in the Nice Treaty, not in the Lisbon Treaty. While the Lisbon Treaty did in fact specify that "we" (they are not representatives of Ireland, buit lets ignore that point for now) would lose a permament Commissioner I'm at a loss as to what the alternative is for a small country like Ireland on a reduced Commission. What better deal could we have gotten other than complete equality with all other states?

You seem to have forgotten that the Nice Treaty was rejected the first time and then we had to vote again 'the right way.' There is a problem with democracy in Europe.

If you read my post correctly I made no such judgements on No voters as a whole. In fact I said things like "if" the data we were seeing was true and qualifying my statements by saying things like "some" No voters were ignorant as "some" Yes voters were also. If you can prove the studies wrong or prove that all No voters were completely enlightened on the Treaty then please fire away, otherwise stop leaping to conclusions about what I was saying. The evidence that we have seen thus far suggests ignorance, its not me saying that.

Sorry, my interpretation of your posts is that you think 'No' voters are quite stupid, and really should not have a vote.
    Your points above show a blatant ignorance of the Treaty themselves anyway.

:D:D
    You lambast me for taking certain peoples words for things yet you seem all too happy to do the same with a different shower. At the very least I have provided numerous links over the months to substantiate my position. Rather than poo-pooing them maybe it might be a bit more productive to provide some of your own.

I'm not lambasting you - I just pointed out that it was hardly a 'neutral' source.

I don't provide too many links because most of the sources are biased one way or another. RTE News is probably the only ones who report 'News' without some sort of a spin. Thats a little more difficult to provide links to. The Irish Times are shockingly biased. Long gone are the days that it was the "paper of record.'

I'm pointing out that the EU failed to point out the Brian Lenihan when he contacted them that we could be subject to fines if it was found that what we were doing was anti-competitive (not that we had much option other than to bail them out).
    That's nothing but here ‘say.
    So why did they vote 'No'?
    Thats the thing - we don't trust the EU on this because we know that the two most powerful countries in the EU (France & Germany) would prefer if we didn't have a 12% tax rate. Written assurances might help.
    I'm sure there are plenty of other things France and Germany would prefer did not exist - should we get written assurances for every possible future outcome? Because I would imagine that would make the treaty a whole lot longer and a whole lot more complex.
    You seem to have forgotten that the Nice Treaty was rejected the first time and then we had to vote again 'the right way.' There is a problem with democracy in Europe.
    Why is the result of Nice II any less valid than the first? Are people not allowed to reconsider their position?
    Sorry, my interpretation of your posts is that you think 'No' voters are quite stupid, and really should not have a vote.
    Most of the reasons I have seen for voting 'No' have been pretty stupid. I'm sure there were plenty of stupid reasons for voting 'Yes' too.
    RTE News is probably the only ones who report 'News' without some sort of a spin. Thats a little more difficult to provide links to.
    I'm sure you won't have too much trouble finding RTE coverage of the bank guarantee scheme and the EU's reaction to it.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    That's nothing but here ‘say.

I'm surprised you are not referring to it as more Libertas lies.

Anyway, here is a reference to when competition laws were first mentioned:
    EC to study details (Tuesday, 30th Sept. 2008) RTE website

The European Commission has said it would study details of the decision to see whether the move complied with EU competition rules.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0930/economy.html

I believe the British Gov. didn't complain until the following Thursday!

You will have to listen to the Morning Ireland programme to hear what Brian Lenihan had do say.
    So why did they vote 'No'?
    Main reason was loss of sovereignty - neutrality / no wish to contribute or be involved in an EU Army / corporate tax rate (some friends working for US companies in Ireland) basically quite happy with the present relationship we have with the EU and no interest getting any closer to the EU.

Please, please don't give me another lecture now on Lisbon.
    Why is the result of Nice II any less valid than the first? Are people not allowed to reconsider their position?

Who said it was invalid. Problem with it was that it was pointless voting in the first place.
    Most of the reasons I have seen for voting 'No' have been pretty stupid. I'm sure there were plenty of stupid reasons for voting 'Yes' too.
    I'm sure you won't have too much trouble finding RTE coverage of the bank guarantee scheme and the EU's reaction to it

:D:D:D:D

You crack me up!

I'm just repeating myself now, so this is my last post on this (I hope!). We don't know in what context Brian Lenihan was speaking, and we don't know exactly what was said by the EU when they were contacted about the bank guarantee. I've done a lot of searching and I can't find any links or sources.

Presumably Lenihan let his tongue run loose a bit and then was told to pipe down. The Telegraph probably quoted him. :D They are as bad as the Irish Times when it comes to bias.

As far as I can recall, it was mentioned about 7.20am Tuesday 30th Sept. on Morning Ireland. I don't read every newspaper in the country, so I don't know if he was quoted anywhere else.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0930/morningireland.html

I don't know who questioned the NR move.

It was Neelie Kroes, European Commissioner for Competition who quetioned the Irish Gov. bank guarantee (on the same day as the announcement of the Guarantee). The British Gov. got in on the act a couple of days later (2/3 days).

You know someone questioned the NR move but you don't know who then? So how can you compare the EU reaction between the NR take-over and Irish bank takeover if you're not sure of the details?

The written assurance is the Treaty. Nowhere in there are there changes to domestic taxation policy meaning that it would still not be a competancy of the EU and they would have no control over it. The only way that this can change is through unanimous decision allowing the EU competency in the area. And we don't want that, the UK have said they will block any moves in this area and there are a handful of other countries opposed to it aswell.
    You believe it, quite a few don't feel so assured about it.

"Quite a few" people believe the earth is only several thousand years old, doesn't make it so. If you have any proof to the contrary then please share it.

Is there a particular reason that the second referendum is less democratic than the first? A particular reason that makes the peoples voice in the second referendum less relevant and important than the first?

Well then that sums things up quite nicely given that I have clearly stated my opinion on all voters in this thread as well as numerous others. Your interpretation blatantly ignores those statements, i.e. the facts, in favour of things that sound good for your point. Nowhere have I said that No voters should not have a vote, in fact I have quite clearly stated before my belief that people should not be denied the right to vote.
    I'm not lambasting you - I just pointed out that it was hardly a 'neutral' source.

I don't provide too many links because most of the sources are biased one way or another. RTE News is probably the only ones who report 'News' without some sort of a spin. Thats a little more difficult to provide links to. The Irish Times are shockingly biased. Long gone are the days that it was the "paper of record.'

At least its a source. It may not be completely nuetral but if you have a source that provides a different figure then please provide it. People can only work off the information they have available to them. In this thread the 2.08% figure is the only figure so far provided that has any sort of backing.

You know someone questioned the NR move but you don't know who then? So how can you compare the EU reaction between the NR take-over and Irish bank takeover if you're not sure of the details?

No, I don't know who questioned the NR move. All I know is that the NR was nationalised a couple of months prior to the Irish Gov. attempting to offer a guarantee to all Irish banks.
    The written assurance is the Treaty. Nowhere in there are there changes to domestic taxation policy meaning that it would still not be a competancy of the EU and they would have no control over it. The only way that this can change is through unanimous decision allowing the EU competency in the area. And we don't want that, the UK have said they will block any moves in this area and there are a handful of other countries opposed to it aswell.

"Quite a few" people believe the earth is only several thousand years old, doesn't make it so. If you have any proof to the contrary then please share it.

Is there a particular reason that the second referendum is less democratic than the first? A particular reason that makes the peoples voice in the second referendum less relevant and important than the first?

Well then that sums things up quite nicely given that I have clearly stated my opinion on all voters in this thread as well as numerous others. Your interpretation blatantly ignores those statements, i.e. the facts, in favour of things that sound good for your point. Nowhere have I said that No voters should not have a vote, in fact I have quite clearly stated before my belief that people should not be denied the right to vote.

At least its a source. It may not be completely nuetral but if you have a source that provides a different figure then please provide it. People can only work off the information they have available to them. In this thread the 2.08% figure is the only figure so far provided that has any sort of backing.

All your opinion and I did say I didn't want another Lisbon Treaty lecture.

And if you can't see how disrespectful you are to people who voted no, I give up.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...basically quite happy with the present relationship we have with the EU...
    ...so they vote "no" in order to f*ck up that relationship.

Yup. Perfectly sensible approach.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...so they vote "no" in order to f*ck up that relationship.

Yup. Perfectly sensible approach.

No, we havent 'f*cked up' anything - according to the Irish Ambassador to the EU on tv last night. ;)

No, I don't know who questioned the NR move. All I know is that the NR was nationalised a couple of months prior to the Irish Gov. attempting to offer a guarantee to all Irish banks.

But you were comparing the two scenarios. You now admit t knowing very little at all about the NR scenario so how can you possibly compare the two with any degree of accuracy?
    All your opinion and I did say I didn't want another Lisbon Treaty lecture.

My apologies I had it written before you posted that comment, just didn't hit the submit button for a while. Either way should you wish to inform yourself these points have been discussed with links and proof galore to show that "my opinion" is actually pretty accurate. I didn't pull it out of my arse, in fact I was initially inclined to a No vote myself until I took the time to go through the details of the Treaty properly.
    And if you can't see how disrespectful you are to people who voted no, I give up.

I am not in any way disrespectful to No voters as a whole. There are No voters out there (as I have already said) with genuine reasons for voting No just as there are Yes voters out there that were ignorant. Unless of course I'm also being disrespectful towards Yes voters too?

I may concede to being disrespectful to your opinion here. The reason for this being that you are one of a small number of individuals who have partaken in the Lisbon debate for a good number of months now, who's points have been addressed with plenty of proof to the contrary and yet you still spout the same lines. How can I possibly respect an opinion that is held against all of the evidence and with no evidence of its own though?

BTW don't get that disrespect of an opinion confused with disrespect of you as a person. I don't know you so don't have an overall opinion at all.... ;)

But you were comparing the two scenarios. You now admit t knowing very little at all about the NR scenario so how can you possibly compare the two with any degree of accuracy?

Dear Lord! I don't believe this. Once more - this is what I understand to have happened and the sequence.

1. NR was not viewed to be uncompetitive by the EU (despite it being nationalised) a couple of months previous (I don't know if it was investigated by the EU - just that NR has been nationalised an as far as I know it has not been fined by the EU).

2. Brian Lenihan said he contacted the EU the night before the Irish Gov. announced the Irish Banks Gov. guarantee. The EU told him he was on his own (reported on Morning Ireland that morning).

3. Later that same day, Neelie Kroees announced that the Irish Gov. Bank guarantee would be investigated for anti-competitiveness and their could be EU fines.

4. I would personally view nationalisation of a bank to be far more anti-competitive than offering an Irish bank gov. guarantee. (i.e., more people would be more likely to deposit their pensions in NR than in any other bank because it is fully backed by the British Gov.).
    My apologies I had it written before you posted that comment, just didn't hit the submit button for a while. Either way should you wish to inform yourself these points have been discussed with links and proof galore to show that "my opinion" is actually pretty accurate. I didn't pull it out of my arse, in fact I was initially inclined to a No vote myself until I took the time to go through the details of the Treaty properly.

I think most people have cottoned onto Goebells (sp!) propaganda theories of frequent repetition etc. etc. of the same thing, that it eventually become true. Please give over!
    I am not in any way disrespectful to No voters as a whole. There are No voters out there (as I have already said) with genuine reasons for voting No just as there are Yes voters out there that were ignorant. Unless of course I'm also being disrespectful towards Yes voters too?

You protest too much.
    I may concede to being disrespectful to your opinion here. The reason for this being that you are one of a small number of individuals who have partaken in the Lisbon debate for a good number of months now, who's points have been addressed with plenty of proof to the contrary and yet you still spout the same lines. How can I possibly respect an opinion that is held against all of the evidence and with no evidence of its own though?

BTW don't get that disrespect of an opinion confused with disrespect of you as a person. I don't know you so don't have an overall opinion at all.... ;)

I'm here over 2 years - you are here since May.
    The words kettle, pot, black come to mind ;)

I've mostly only posted here when I've seen posts that I know/consider to be factually inaccurate or that I disagree with.

One thing I'd check would be your sources and would tend to disregard the following: EU press releases, Irish Time, Irish Indo., The Telegraph, Daily Mail etc. are the main ones.

RTE News/BBC News I would also rate - in fact anyone who doesn't have some agenda or who actually quote people directly.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

One thing I'd check would be your sources and would tend to disregard the following: EU press releases, Irish Time, Irish Indo., The Telegraph, Daily Mail etc. are the main ones.

RTE News/BBC News I would also rate - in fact anyone who doesn't have some agenda or who actually quote people directly.
    The Irish Times don't quote people directly?

They do quote directly, after they have put editorial spin on their headlines and text like most newspapers do.

This is something they have started doing since Geraldine Kennedy took over as Editor and why I stopped buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

They do quote directly, after they have put editorial spin on their headlines and text like most newspapers do.

This is something they have started doing since Geraldine Kennedy took over as Editor and why I stopped buying it.

I now read both Times and Indo (and Herald) online, but while I read the front page articles in the Times, then look at the Letters page, I usually read a bunch of the news stories in the Indo. I rarely read the features in either.

Alas.

The Economist piece seemed no more biased than most. Perhaps the bias is more obvious when it's against the side you agree with.

Surely the reason most 'no' voters voted 'no' is fairly straightforward: they don't like the direction the EU is going, with power sucked inwards to the big states, and Ireland left hanging, again, powerless on the periphery of an empire.

The idea that a bunch of grown-ups couldn't make an agreement because there were too many of them is... disappointing.

I think we've established that highground likes his point of view the way it is regardless of little things like facts and evidence. See his above reply to my post, where when I had previously said that not all No voters were ignorant of the Treaty he ignored the point, when I re-iterated/clarified it he claimed I was protesting too much. Its a lose-lose situation. So what's the point in debating that? It's real pissing against the wind stuff.

I think we've established that highground likes his point of view the way it is regardless of little things like facts and evidence. See his above reply to my post, where when I had previously said that not all No voters were ignorant of the Treaty he ignored the point, when I re-iterated/clarified it he claimed I was protesting too much. Its a lose-lose situation. So what's the point in debating that? It's real pissing against the wind stuff.

Wrong, molloyjh - I will change my vote and point of view if the Lisbon Treaty is changed.

Your 'debate' pronouncements on the Lisbon Treaty will not change my mind, because as far as I can see, my concerns are still valid and you have been unable to dispel them (no offence to you intended).

Prior to voting, I did do a bit of research on the Treaty which included speaking to 'Yes' canvassers like Enda Kenny and Jim Mitchell among others.

Since the vote, I'm even more convinced that 'No' was the correct answer to the Lisbon Treaty as presented and borne out by the reaction/behaviour of the EU since the Irish vote. The Treaty will have to change for my vote to change to 'Yes' and assurances etc. would help to get a 'yes' vote.

My point about you protesting too much was about you claiming that you respect the 'no' vote/voter. Its a matter of opinion, and my opinion is that you display little respect for those who voted 'no'.

My point about you protesting too much was about you claiming that you respect the 'no' vote/voter. Its a matter of opinion, and my opinion is that you display little respect for those who voted 'no'.

As there's no point in going through the points re Lisbon again (you don't want another lecture, I don't want to give one!;)) let me just assure you that my respecting No voters is a matter of fact and not opinion. If my father were contributing to this board he could tell you himself. He voted No, I understand why he did and I respect his decision. I don't agree with it but that is the great thing about democracy after all.

I will also try to have a look for a post of mine directed at a No voter who understood the Treaty pretty well and voted No for a reason that was factualy accurate and, to him at least, totally relevant. I told him at the time that I respected his opinion and thanked him for contributing it because the majority of No voters posting here at the time weren't so factually accurate. The post in question was a good while ago (before the referendum if I remember right) so may take a good while to dig up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

luckat wrote: »
    The Economist piece seemed no more biased than most. Perhaps the bias is more obvious when it's against the side you agree with.
    Actually the Economist is normally fairly anti-EU. The article that they penned just after the referendum certainly was.
    Surely the reason most 'no' voters voted 'no' is fairly straightforward: they don't like the direction the EU is going, with power sucked inwards to the big states, and Ireland left hanging, again, powerless on the periphery of an empire.
    Perhaps. The alternative that we become a Switzerland or Norway isn't terribly realistic, neither is the belief that we'll just reverse gears and become like EFTA. That unfortunately would leave us, powerless outside the periphery, as another Iceland - but without the hot chicks.

Anyway, here is a reference to when competition laws were first mentioned
    No mention of fines there.
    You will have to listen to the Morning Ireland programme to hear what Brian Lenihan had do say.
    I did; he scarcely mentioned the EC.
    Main reason was loss of sovereignty - neutrality / no wish to contribute or be involved in an EU Army / corporate tax rate (some friends working for US companies in Ireland) basically quite happy with the present relationship we have with the EU and no interest getting any closer to the EU.
    “Sovereignty” is meaningless, unless of course you can tell me how it is measured? The concept of an “EU Army” is a myth. Neutrality and corporate tax rate have been done to death and, as yet, not one single poster has produced a shred of evidence (beyond Libertas, etc.) that either will be affected by Lisbon. So, “sovereignty”, “EU army”, neutrality and corporate tax rate together constitute a list of stupid reasons for voting ‘No’ to the Lisbon treaty, in my opinion.
    Please, please don't give me another lecture now on Lisbon.
    :rolleyes: Perhaps you should check the title of this thread. If you don’t want to discuss Lisbon, then why are you posting here?
    Who said it was invalid. Problem with it was that it was pointless voting in the first place.
    :rolleyes: Sure it was. Just like it was pointless voting on Lisbon; the government went right ahead and ratified the treaty regardless. Oh no, wait now…
    Brian Lenihan said he contacted the EU the night before the Irish Gov. announced the Irish Banks Gov. guarantee. The EU told him he was on his own (reported on Morning Ireland that morning).
    We’ve yet to see any evidence of this. The Morning Ireland segment you linked to contained no mention of this.
    Later that same day, Neelie Kroees announced that the Irish Gov. Bank guarantee would be investigated for anti-competitiveness and their could be EU fines.
    I could be wrong, but I don’t believe we’ve seen a source for this either.
    luckat wrote: »
    But of course, I’ve yet to see anyone demonstrate that the Lisbon Treaty proposes for “power” to be “sucked inwards to the big states”. Can you?
    I will change my vote and point of view if the Lisbon Treaty is changed.
    Changed how? How many assurances, against inaccurate (and often mythical) claims, need be included before you’ll vote ‘Yes’? What if somebody decides that Lisbon may allow the EU to harvest the organs of new-born Irish babies; will you insist that the treaty contains an assurance that the EU will not attempt to harvest babies’ organs before you are willing to vote ‘Yes’?

Advertisement