Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post weird road names here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Ring Street

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

boneless wrote: »
    I grew up around the area so never found it funny but people always laugh when I say there is a place called Fumbally Lane.

Maybe Gav can help me out here... I once heard that the name is a corruption of Fumble Alley. Any one else hear this?

I read once that Fumbally was a corruption of 'Bum Bailiff'.

Definition of Bum Bailiff from here
    "A Bum Bailiff was a Sheriff’s officer, who arrests debtors; so called perhaps from following his prey, and being at their bums, or, as the vulgar phrase is, hard at their a-ses. Blackstone says, it is a corruption of bound bailiff, from their being obliged to give bond for their good behaviour."

As far as I can recall, there was a bailiff's office on Fumbally Lane at one stage, so perhaps it has some credence. I read all this as part of a school project many moons ago, so I dont have the original source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Engine Alley and Red cow lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

deswalsh wrote: »
    I read once that Fumbally was a corruption of 'Bum Bailiff'.

Definition of Bum Bailiff from here
    "A Bum Bailiff was a Sheriff’s officer, who arrests debtors; so called perhaps from following his prey, and being at their bums, or, as the vulgar phrase is, hard at their a-ses. Blackstone says, it is a corruption of bound bailiff, from their being obliged to give bond for their good behaviour."

As far as I can recall, there was a bailiff's office on Fumbally Lane at one stage, so perhaps it has some credence. I read all this as part of a school project many moons ago, so I dont have the original source.

Thanks for this info Mate! It does make some sense and is probably researchable. reminds me of how "Hangmans Lane" became Hammond Lane. The fact that a public gallows was there was forgotten but the name remained in a corrupted sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Atmospheric Road (Dalkey)

Probably named after the railway :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalkey_Atmospheric_Railway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

vektarman wrote: »
    Engine Alley

Next time you're passing look at how it's spelled in Irish. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Lover's Lane off Mount st!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

boneless wrote: »
    I grew up around the area so never found it funny but people always laugh when I say there is a place called Fumbally Lane.

Maybe Gav can help me out here... I once heard that the name is a corruption of Fumble Alley. Any one else hear this?

McCready's 'Dublin street names dated and explained' (1892) says
    Fumbally's (Fumbailie's) - lane (off New Street) 1789
    A corruption of Bumbailiff's lane 1756

Ho ho, even better - top of the class Des.

**edit**
    There are some cool old names of Dublin streets.
    Phrapper lane
    Dunghill lane
    Gocoue's lane
    Rapparee alley
    Cabbage garden lane
    World's end lane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Not a street or a road name, but an area, one we are all used to, so we don't bat an eyelid....

Ballsbridge!

I always liked the few streets in Coolock that were built around the first lunar landing, street names are (from what I can remember):

Apollo Way
    Eagle Park
    Tranquility Grove
    Armstrong Walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I had just started to do the research Spurious but you saved me a pile of reading :)

Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There are a few odd names in Ringsend for example

Hope st
    Doris st
    Joy st

All beside each other, so Doris had hope and joy in the area :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Findlater Street

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

gurramok wrote: »
    Lover's Lane off Mount st!

I'm pretty sure the it's just Love Lane.
    I used to live down there in The Northumberlands. The name Love Lane lends itself to a more seedier side than Lover's Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lightening wrote: »
    Apollo Way
    Eagle Park
    Tranquility Grove
    Armstrong Walk.
    All together with one more - Woodville Court. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Victor wrote: »
    All together with one more - Woodville Court. :)

Yeah, it's really weird.

And some absolute tosspot residents association decided to re-name two other estates around the area "Woodville" too, with massive boulders up all over the place.

I don't live in Woodville, but the stone says I do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Not a street or a road name, but an area, one we are all used to, so we don't bat an eyelid....

Ballsbridge!

I always liked the few streets in Coolock that were built around the first lunar landing, street names are (from what I can remember):

Apollo Way
    Eagle Park
    Tranquility Grove
    Armstrong Walk.

Doesnt Aldrin get a road named after him too in the same estate: Aldrin Walk. Also, AFAIK the Michael Collins who stayed on board the Apollo gets a road after him too, but I cant remember the name of it. Probably Collins Short Straw Avenue or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

I know of a police station in England that was built on a roundabout and the 5 yards of cul-de-sac leading to the station was (and is) known as 'Lettsbey Avenue'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sambongo

Paradise Place linking Saint Mary's Place and Lower Wellington Street in Dublin 1 is a fantastic one. It's ironic in that it's a pretty grotty little laneway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Xavier avenue -Northstrand road Dublin

Bit sci-fi

Or

Crow's lane-Temple bar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Cats Ladder in Dalkey off Vico Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Crow92 wrote: »
    Xavier avenue -Northstrand road Dublin

Bit sci-fi

After St. Xavier no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

F.R. wrote: »
    Cats Ladder in Dalkey off Vico Road

Or "Middle Third" in Killester ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

After St. Xavier no doubt.

...and the only road in Dublin beginning with an X.

I live there - woohoo - our little street got a mention in the Interweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

love lane just off mount street

eagle hill in blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

Or "Middle Third" in Killester ..

...which is right beside another road called "Demesne".

How about "Protestant Row", just off Wexford Street, D2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

This one's from Edinburgh, I laughed every time I walked by it. I just had to get a picture.:rolleyes:

Cockburnstreet.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Ballsbridge!

Apollo Way
    Eagle Park
    Tranquility Grove
    Armstrong Walk.
    The Mooneys lived there next door to Mahers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 shionnach

step a side
    kilmocow
    kilmocat
    kilmoboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 silurian1980

Not sure if any used to be named here in Ireland but London used to have several 'Gropecunt Lane's' which apparently were frequented by unsavoury ladies looking for 'work'.

Hard to believe it now but true!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

At the back of Dublin Airport there's a place called Passifyoucan.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement