Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the subject of animals!

Options
  • 16-09-2008 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭

I know its late but I’m bored and can’t sleep so humor me.

If there is no God, and all we are is a species of animal like all the other species of animals, then where do we get off assuming that we are the highest form thereof? Wouldn't this be considered "species-ism" by other species? To where do we anchor this assumption that we are the highest? Because we make tools? Other animals will just say that they don’t need tools, that all their tools are built in naturally and they do not need to extend their sensory apparatus any more than they have to in order to survive, so you could say that they are more advanced than us in many different ways, because if we are only just another species then our primary functions is to survive also.

And if we are not the highest form of animal then how can a non religious humanistic moral value system be regarded as the better order on which to live one's life than the religious one? If there's no God, then what does the humanist anchor its idea of their moral value system to? How is it derived? And why if we are just animals should we adhere to it? Why not adopt the crocodile’s moral value system if that’s' the case? They've been around longer than us and will probably outlive us too, so why not adopt their moral value system (whatever that is) if we are not the highest form of animal? Theirs at least has a proven track record due to their longevity of survival, and as already said if all we are is animals then our primary objective is to merely survive as a species for as long as possible anyway.

Whether God exists or not, man is not the source from which any moral value systems are derived. Why? Because if God does exist then He is the source from which we derive our value system. And even if He doesn't exist where do get off thinking we are the source? We are just a byproduct of an evolutionary process which will become extinct in a relatively short space of time anyway, so where do we get off thinking that our system is the highest moral good? If all we are is just another species of animal then who is to say that if a super intelligent race of aliens came to earth that they would pick us as the primary species to study and not say, cows or bears or eagles or ants?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I know its late but I’m bored and can’t sleep so humor me.

If there is no God, and all we are is a species of animal like all the other species of animals, then where do we get off assuming that we are the highest form thereof?

Personally, I don't consider humans a higher form of life than other animals. Each species has it's own niche in the biosphere which has maintained equilibrium (more or less) for billions of years.
    Once the next mass extinction passes it will be time to judge again. We won't seem so mighty if we don't make it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

No organism is "higher" than any other, simply because there is no means to measure evolutionary height. We are fit to our environment or we are not. We reproduce or we fail to. We are measured only by the perpetuation of our genes. By that measure, bacteria, beetles and an overwhelming number of parasitic worms are doing just as well as us if not better.

Now, we could go by complexity, but there's plenty of animals that match us or beat us in that regard.

Now, we could go by complexity, but there's plenty of animals that match us or beat us in that regard.

Dam you octopus!!!

*shakes fist* :mad:

*Octopus shakes back, times 8!* :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

To where do we anchor this assumption that we are the highest?
    To my mind, we don't anchor it anywhere since us atheists don't believe ourselves "higher" than anything else -- we're all here on this earth, puttering along, doing our best, maintaining our ecological niche, same as every other organism.

Our eyes are less well designed than octopuses, we see less clearly than eagles, we run slower and smell less accurately than dogs, we don't live as long as trees, we swim worse than fish, we don't fly at all and pound for pound, we'd probably lose a fight with most animals our size. Not much to be proud of there.
    If there's no God, then what does the humanist anchor its idea of their moral value system to? How is it derived?
    It's derives from the effort and the informed consent of the ruled -- perhaps like a bit like a statute-book version of wikipedia.
    And why if we are just animals should we adhere to it?
    Because under the above, we agree to be bound by the rules that we create. And why, as animals, should we not stick to our word?
    Whether God exists or not, man is not the source from which any moral value systems are derived.
    Nonsense. There are very simple, very convincing, explanations about why co-operation and honesty are much better choices than defaulting and dishonesty and none of them require gods. There are plenty of other species that exhibit the same kind of extensive co-operative social behaviour that humans do -- it's not that special at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If there is no God, and all we are is a species of animal like all the other species of animals, then where do we get off assuming that we are the highest form thereof?

This is an arbitrary objective judgement. A side effect, I assume, of your belief in an omnipotent God.

Humans are smarter and more complex than most other animals. That doesn't make us "better".
    And if we are not the highest form of animal then how can a non religious humanistic moral value system be regarded as the better order on which to live one's life than the religious one?

There is no best moral system. Just the ones we prefer. We can agree on certain basic principles, such as "people suffering is bad" and "people deserve to be happy" and such things, and then argue about how that is best achieved.

Sometimes we just can't discuss it usefully, such as with religious values. If a Christian asserts that what is "good" is what God wants, then thats the end of the conversation. This is the central thrust of Sam Harris' arguments. He is terrified of the immunity to rational discussion that faith brings. I can't convince a fundamentalist Muslim that infidels don't deserve to die, because God says they do, and God is right.
    If there's no God, then what does the humanist anchor its idea of their moral value system to? How is it derived?

Feelings. It sounds a little soft but still, most people share feelings about how we should treat each other, and sometimes we can agree on how we'll behave.

And why if we are just animals should we adhere to it?

Because we want to. Lets not be naive, if someone wants to behave in a manner others will find reprehensible, they'll do it anyway. Hence the amount of rapists and murderers in the world.
    If all we are is just another species of animal then who is to say that if a super intelligent race of aliens came to earth that they would pick us as the primary species to study and not say, cows or bears or eagles or ants?

Yes, they might. But I doubt it. Like I said, our distinguishing trait is advanced intelligence, which allows us to have technology. Thats a trait an alien species is likely to share, and therefore find us interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Galvasean wrote: »
    Personally, I don't consider humans a higher form of life than other animals.
    No organism is "higher" than any other, simply because there is no means to measure evolutionary height.
    robindch wrote: »
    To my mind, we don't anchor it anywhere since us atheists don't believe ourselves "higher" than anything else
    Zillah wrote: »
    This is an arbitrary objective judgement. A side effect, I assume, of your belief in an omnipotent God.

Humans are smarter and more complex than most other animals. That doesn't make us "better".

I'm amazed. In practical terms in everyday life I bet every one of you values a human life as "higher" and "better" than animals. We wouldn't swerve into a child on a pavement to save a dog in the road, we wouldn't allow drugs be tested on children that might save chimpanzees in the long term, we don't keep humans as pets and we certainly wouldn't kill and eat another human.

Now maybe you're all playing clever word games with "better" and "higher", but I certainly value human life a lot higher than all animal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

pH wrote: »
    Now maybe you're all playing clever word games with "better" and "higher", but I certainly value human life a lot higher than all animal life.

In terms of my own subjective feelings, yes, I will frequently value human life over other forms of life. I don't think that stems from any inherent superiority of human life. I won't for a second defend it as anything other than a feeling I have.

Apparently you share this feeling. Good, lets build a society. But if you'll sit in an armchair and try to argue that human life has some universally objective superiority then I'll call you a fool. I'll do it! I can take the infraction!

The religious would of course attempt to counter this with the childish notion of the soul. Twice the fools I say!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

And if we are not the highest form of animal then how can a non religious humanistic moral value system be regarded as the better order on which to live one's life than the religious one?
    If you believe religion is made up, then there is no material difference between a non religious humanistic moral value system and a religious one. One system is dynamic, and created from inherent human compassion with the requirement for a structured society to live in, the other is, for example, a static one created by bronze age nomads.

Value systems can be perfect, it's the lack of adherence to them that's the problem.
    There are very simple, very convincing, explanations about why co-operation and honesty are much better choices than defaulting and dishonesty and none of them require gods. There are plenty of other species that exhibit the same kind of extensive co-operative social behaviour that humans do -- it's not that special at all.
    QFT...

The very fact that other species (e.g. primates) live within primitive social structures is evidence against the notion that a God especially "gave" humans morality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Among all species on earth, humans probably have the most computing power. Maybe that's why some people consider themselves 'higher' than animals. But humans also waste the earths resources, and we go to extreme lengths to eliminate our rivals and cause mass bloodshed, so maybe that 'balances' out our value here on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

If there is no God, and all we are is a species of animal like all the other species of animals, then where do we get off assuming that we are the highest form thereof?...

because we can. As a species we have a selfish need to protect ourselves and our genes and propagate them on to another generation. All species share this unstoppable urge to exist. Do you think a Lion weighs up whether it is better for that gazelle to live rather feeding its cubs? No, it kills it instinctively to keep its genes propagating.

The difference is one set of morals puts the onus on all humans to decide what's right and wrong, the other set of morals puts the onus on a small minority of humans to decide what is right and wrong because they believe a magical spirit speaks to them.
    I'm amazed. In practical terms in everyday life I bet every one of you values a human life as "higher" and "better" than animals.

Nothing really that amazing tbh. I accept that I have as much right on this planet as any other creature, but I also accept that I am human and want my species to survive over all others. This opinion of being "higher" really is subjective. Put any of us alone in the middle of the Amazon and tell me you feel higher in importance than any of the other animals living there.

• Advertisement

In practical terms in everyday life I bet every one of you values a human life as "higher" and "better" than animals.
    Nope, I think you're misinterpreting what was said. We're not "better" than animals -- we are animals -- we're the same as them. That means that we don't adopt the influential religious view that:
    god wrote:
    And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    ...in which the world is thought to exist for the benefit of human beings alone.

I'd imagine that most atheists believe that we're all in this together and we should treat life and the earth with as much respect as possible. It's not as though we're prone to thinking that god's going to show up with a new earth if we break this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

The real question should be why religionists believe they are/have to be the higher form of life (apart from sky-daddy of course). Currently we Humans are the most intelligent life form on Earth well suppose to be cough.."Soul Winner". But in real society the most intelligent don't aspire to being at the highest level....George Bush for example.

Soul Winner: you just want to feel special, the world was created just for you, the trees, the flowers, rainbows, cancer. cop-on and grow up gods'-little-child.

Tomk1, you cop on, and stop dragging the discussion down to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Ok lets go a little deeper with this.

If there is no God, then how do we judge what is good and what is evil? One of the reasons that atheists are atheists is that they cannot believe that a God who is supposed to be all good would allow evil (as we see it) to exist.

Ok so, let us assume that there is no God. From what do we derive our moral judgment on things? Can animals be evil or just humans? If only humans can be evil, then why only humans? If all we are is just another form of animal? Why aren’t male lions for instance considered evil for killing cubs from another male lion in order that the mother lioness will become receptive again and produce cubs for him? If a human man did that he would be adjudged evil wouldn’t he? Why not the male lions? Are monkeys in a sense evil for their casual sex behaviour and promiscuity? Do they even know any of these concepts? And even if they did know and still did these things would that make them evil? Why do humans have these concepts if all we are is but a by-product of an evolutionary process like all other animals? Where do we get this stuff from? What use is it? If we are just animals then where did this seemingly solely human trait arise? Where is the evolutionary advantage in it? Where will it lead? Why have it if it ultimately has no purpose for anything?

Why is it immoral (in our view) for somebody to rape and yet animals do it all the time? Don’t get me wrong I am not advocating an anything goes behaviour type world, I just want to get into the world where we have no God, never had one, never made one up, or were never exposed to any form of deity in our entire history, we only ever lived in a world where we and all the other animals exist. Would it be right or wrong to rape or kill? If wrong then why is it wrong? How do we define wrong and why do we define wrong? Why are there things that are deemed unacceptable? And why is it that only humans are hung up on this if all we are is just another (and in most cases) lesser form of animal?

To presume something is evil, then we must have some sort of standard by which we measure what is deemed evil and what is not. If there is no God and therefore no law from God then by what standard do we deem something as evil whereby we may not do the evil and do the good? Why are we bound to have a law at all if there is no God? What is the evolutionary advantage in having a law that prohibits certain types of behaviour that seem natural for other animals to do in order that they maybe propagate and survive? And allow other more acceptable behaviours like love and compassion and charity? Are we freaks of evolution? It would appear so if there really is no God. Why do we value ourselves more than animals? From whence comes this value system, if not from God? And if we are not more valuable then why do we have these traits? What use are they and what purpose do they serve? Why hasn’t Natural Selection eliminated them yet if there is no ultimate purpose in evolving such traits?

Why do we value ourselves more than animals?
    Er, did you read any of the posts up above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Er, did you read any of the posts up above?

+1 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Ok lets go a little deeper with this.

If there is no God, then how do we judge what is good and what is evil?
    I little bit of common sense?
    One of the reasons that atheists are atheists is that they cannot believe that a God who is supposed to be all good would allow evil (as we see it) to exist.
    It does seem unlikely.
    Ok so, let us assume that there is no God. From what do we derive our moral judgment on things? Can animals be evil or just humans? If only humans can be evil, then why only humans?
    Well, where does the term evil come from? Who decides what evil is? Evil is a term which has been ascribed to certain behaviours which are seen in the animal kingdom. I think that as we see ourselves as more developed (arguably) we hold ourselves to a higher set of values. Therefore actions which may be natural and still happen in other animal species are not acceptable in our particular social setting.
    If all we are is just another form of animal? Why aren’t male lions for instance considered evil for killing cubs from another male lion in order that the mother lioness will become receptive again and produce cubs for him?
    Because in the case of a lion it is perfectly natural and it is the way things are done in that society.
    If a human man did that he would be adjudged evil wouldn’t he?
    Evil, perhaps, it is a bit of an emotive word. Bad? Yes. Operating outside of normal social norms and values? Most definitely.
    Why not the male lions?
    Because they aren’t human. They have no concept of evil.
    Are monkeys in a sense evil for their casual sex behaviour and promiscuity?
    But then I would not call a human exhibiting the same behaviour evil.
    Do they even know any of these concepts?
    I don’t know.
    And even if they did know and still did these things would that make them evil?
    Evil to who?
    Why do humans have these concepts if all we are is but a by-product of an evolutionary process like all other animals? Where do we get this stuff from? What use is it? If we are just animals then where did this seemingly solely human trait arise? Where is the evolutionary advantage in it? Where will it lead? Why have it if it ultimately has no purpose for anything?
    Because there is an advantage to behaving that way.
    Why is it immoral (in our view) for somebody to rape and yet animals do it all the time?
    We think it is wrong to rape because we live in a civilised society that protects the rights of its people.
    Don’t get me wrong I am not advocating an anything goes behaviour type world, I just want to get into the world where we have no God, never had one, never made one up, or were never exposed to any form of deity in our entire history, we only ever lived in a world where we and all the other animals exist.
    I think that there are advantages to not raping and murdering willy nilly.
    Would it be right or wrong to rape or kill? If wrong then why is it wrong? How do we define wrong and why do we define wrong? Why are there things that are deemed unacceptable? And why is it that only humans are hung up on this if all we are is just another (and in most cases) lesser form of animal?
    We live in a highly developed society. As such the advantages of raping and murdering are probably reduced. We have developed norms and values as well as procedures which most people follow. In addition, there are punishments for not following these norms and values. A lion has good reason for killing the offspring of another mail. It makes genetic sense, there is only advantage. He kills of the genes of a competitor and get the chance to spread his own. He won’t be looking over his shoulder for the cops and is unlikely to get much resistance from the females when he wants to mate. The same cannot be said for human society.
    To presume something is evil, then we must have some sort of standard by which we measure what is deemed evil and what is not.
    Evil is slightly different. You call things evil because the bible tells you so. As I get older I become less comfortable with the term evil. As an atheist I am not sure that I can really use the term evil as you do.
    If there is no God and therefore no law from God then by what standard do we deem something as evil whereby we may not do the evil and do the good? Why are we bound to have a law at all if there is no God?
    Because a stable society needs law.
    What is the evolutionary advantage in having a law that prohibits certain types of behaviour that seem natural for other animals to do in order that they maybe propagate and survive?
    The group benefits from these laws. The society is more stable and people have a better chance of surviving and therefore passing on their genes.
    And allow other more acceptable behaviours like love and compassion and charity?
    Love help to keep society stable. As does compassion and charity. We are looking after our own for the benefit of the species.
    Are we freaks of evolution?
    Perhaps. Our lives are a lot easier than they used to be. Obviously evolution is still working on us, but it is very very slow and we have developed other method to allow ourselves to survive in changing environments.
    It would appear so if there really is no God. Why do we value ourselves more than animals?
    I am not sure that everyone does, as has already been pointed out to you.
    From whence comes this value system, if not from God?
    How did we get to the point where religion developed?
    And if we are not more valuable then why do we have these traits? What use are they and what purpose do they serve? Why hasn’t Natural Selection eliminated them yet if there is no ultimate purpose in evolving such traits?
    I think the obvious answer is that they have not been eliminated because they do not cause a fatal disadvantage.

That is my uneducated & very simplistic 2 cents anyway.

MrP

Depends on the human TBH.
    I'm amazed. In practical terms in everyday life I bet every one of you values a human life as "higher" and "better" than animals.
    Depends on the animal.
    We wouldn't swerve into a child on a pavement to save a dog in the road,
    Replace 'child' with 'murderous paedophile' and I'm sure a lot of people will save the dog.
    we wouldn't allow drugs be tested on children that might save chimpanzees in the long term,
    Again, replace 'children' with 'Hitler' and some of us might.
    we don't keep humans as pets
    Some people are kept as pets. I would provide links to fetish websites but I don't think that is allowed.
    and we certainly wouldn't kill and eat another human.
    Again some people do. I'm sure it would be more common were it not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Why do we value ourselves more than animals?

Evolutionarily that has worked out well for us don't ya think? Most other animals do it don't they? We've just been particularly good at it or better at it for now at least. A lion values itself more than a dear when it eats it.
    From whence comes this value system, if not from God? And if we are not more valuable then why do we have these traits? What use are they and what purpose do they serve? Why hasn’t Natural Selection eliminated them yet if there is no ultimate purpose in evolving such traits?

Again same question? Why can't morality be an animal trait? Why do you have such low opinions of animals? :D After all with all due respect you and I are both animals.

I recall reading somewhere that certain kinds of monkey/ape shun those in their society who commit rape.
    I'd find a source but I'm not in a position to google 'monkey rape' right now.

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote: »
    Evil is slightly different. You call things evil because the bible tells you so. As I get older I become less comfortable with the term evil. As an atheist I am not sure that I can really use the term evil as you do.

Now hold on a minute. We hear all the time that God cannot exist because evil is allowed to exist don't we? That one is non stop from atheists as an argument to prove that God does not and cannot exist. If there is no God because evil is there then it is a non Biblical evil isn't it? It is an evil adjuged so by atheists who contend that God is not there, so it cannot be derived from God or the Bible. It is not the evil that I was thought from the Bible because God doesn't exist which makes that version of evil invalid. So if it’s a non Biblical evil then who decides that it is in fact evil? Don't turn the tables on my Biblical views, we all know that they are stupid and invalid now because God doesn't exist. I'm talking about evil outside of the Biblical frame, the atheist’s evil. By what moral compass does an atheist regard something or someone as evil outside the Biblical frame? Common sense doesn't really cut it. What is common sense and what purpose does it serve? Collective good maybe but morally what does it achieve? Why do we want to be moral?

While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp." So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses.

I think it's safe to say that nobody on this forum gets their morals from 'God'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

....Why do we want to be moral?

Cause doin business is easier than fighting :D

Galvasean wrote: »
    I recall reading somewhere that certain kinds of monkey/ape shun those in their society who commit rape.
    I'd find a source but I'm not in a position to google 'monkey rape' right now.

Here’s the deal: We are told that Natural Selection is a purposeless non sentient process that eliminates traits that weaken the survival chances of a species and keeps the ones that are more advantageous.

So why hasn't morality in these primates been eliminated by Natural Selection? What advantage does it have? Wouldn't they be better off without this trait as it would avoid the necessity of lessening their numbers and strength as a group through shunning? Surely this shunning is not advantageous to the species unless it has a purpose. And if its purpose is to strengthen the group then how can we say that Natural Selection is purposeless process? You can’t have it both ways, can you?

I think it's safe to say that nobody on this forum gets their morals from 'God'.

That's my point, we've already established that God doesn't exist so where do we get off calling something evil? You seem to not respect what that scripture says, and that is because it doesn't live up to a standard you have in your head about what is and is not acceptable. My question is, where did you derive this value judgment? If God doesn’t exist because of evil then what is evil?

Here’s the deal: We are told that Natural Selection is a purposeless non sentient process that eliminates traits that weaken the survival chances of a species and keeps the ones that are more advantageous.
    NS doesn't eliminate or keep anything. Better genetic traits simply have more chance of survival, and hence propagate.
    And if its purpose is to strengthen the group then how can we say that Natural Selection is purposeless process? You can’t have it both ways, can you?
    You are the only one who continues to use the word "purpose", the effect of which is only to confuse yourself it seems.

Why do you see morality in primates as a disadvantage, but believe humans need morality as prescribed by God? Only a few short years ago humans were still banging rocks together and dragging their knuckles. Morality seems to have brought them some way along.

Now hold on a minute. We hear all the time that God cannot exist because evil is allowed to exist don't we? That one is non stop from atheists as an argument to prove that God does not and cannot exist.
    That, I believe, is using your definition of evil.
    If there is no God because evil is there then it is a non Biblical evil isn't it? It is an evil adjuged so by atheists who contend that God is not there, so it cannot be derived from God or the Bible.
    Well that is kind of my point. I don’t believe in god, so I am not sure, personally about the use of the word evil. To me it has religious or biblical connotations. For example you think that having loads of sex is evil. I don’t even necessarily think that is bad, let alone evil.
    It is not the evil that I was thought from the Bible because God doesn't exist which makes that version of evil invalid. So if it’s a non Biblical evil then who decides that it is in fact evil?
    I would not say evil. I would say bad, or unethical, or anti social or just plain nasty.
    Don't turn the tables on my Biblical views, we all know that they are stupid and invalid now because God doesn't exist.
    You said it, not me.
    I'm talking about evil outside of the Biblical frame, the atheist’s evil.
    Does evil exist outside the biblical frame? This is what I am questioning. I don’t know myself. When I use the term evil I am not 100% comfortable with it.
    By what moral compass does an atheist regard something or someone as evil outside the Biblical frame?
    See above.
    Common sense doesn't really cut it.
    I would has to disagree with you there. Common sense tells us we should not do certain things.
    What is common sense and what purpose does it serve?
    It allows us to make behavioural decisions based on incomplete information. You can visit a country and not know the laws, common sense would tell you they are likely to be similar to those you are familiar with.
    Collective good maybe but morally what does it achieve? Why do we want to be moral?
    I tend to give us humans a bit more credit than you seem to. I know how I like to be treated and how I don’t like to be treated. I have children and I have very strong feelings about how they should be treated. I want to be moral because that is how I believe humans in a civilised society should behave.

MrP

That's my point, we've already established that God doesn't exist so where do we get off calling something evil? You seem to not respect what that scripture says, and that is because it doesn't live up to a standard you have in your head about what is and is not acceptable. My question is, where did you derive this value judgment? If God doesn’t exist because of evil then what is evil?

Dawkins likes to go on at length about just where we get our morals from. He believes that there are Darwinian reasons for the behaviour we now call 'good' behaviour. The whole 'treat others as you would have them treat you' thing seems to make sociological sense.

EDIT: Another good answer might be "We don't yet know".

So why hasn't morality in these primates been eliminated by Natural Selection?
    This has already been answered a couple of times.
    What advantage does it have?
    It doesn’t necessarily need to have an advantage, just not have a lethal disadvantage.
    Wouldn't they be better off without this trait as it would avoid the necessity of lessening their numbers and strength as a group through shunning? Surely this shunning is not advantageous to the species unless it has a purpose. And if its purpose is to strengthen the group then how can we say that Natural Selection is purposeless process? You can’t have it both ways, can you?
    It is not having it both ways. I am no expert, but I think it is possible to see an reason why the shunning could still exist. Over a long period of time the animals in question will have developed a method for reproduction and the continuance of their species. Presumably this will be along the lines of limited access to the females for the purposes of mating. One of the number that carries out a rape, will presumably be bypassing the “normal” mating procedure for this group, after all, if he was allowed to mate with the females then it would not be rape. Therefore this type of behaviour goes against that which is seen as acceptable for the group. The animal is shunned by the group. This will reduce the likelihood of this particular animal passing on its genes. As the group do not like the behaviour of this particular animal, this is good as it prevents this behavioural trait from being passed on, assuming of course there is a genetic reason for the behaviour.

Therefore this shunning behaviour will have the effect of preserving the mating behaviour that has developed over a long period of time. Again there is no purpose required. Either there is an advantage or not.
    I think people use the term evil because you use it.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Botany Bay

Soul Winner.

Read the Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins.

Advertisement