Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the subject of animals!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

where do we get off assuming that we are the highest form?

What are you on about? Where did you pull that out of?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

pH wrote: »
    I'm amazed. In practical terms in everyday life I bet every one of you values a human life as "higher" and "better" than animals. We wouldn't swerve into a child on a pavement to save a dog in the road, we wouldn't allow drugs be tested on children that might save chimpanzees in the long term, we don't keep humans as pets and we certainly wouldn't kill and eat another human.

Now maybe you're all playing clever word games with "better" and "higher", but I certainly value human life a lot higher than all animal life.
    Most here claim they do not but actually do value humans above other animals.
    Sure they don't believe they do, sure it is only a 'feeling' that makes them value a human more.

However if somebody lets their child get in front of a car I was driving, and the dog is on the footpath well, I wouldn't be holding out that I value a human over a dog. The problem with my moral values is that if I did agree with eating meat/killing animals humans would be included in that, and let's just say I'd have a wiki page...

Advertisement