Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cheap beer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

BeerNut wrote: »
    :D Where did you get this from?
    from my taste buds ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

grenache wrote: »
    from my taste buds ;)
    Have you tested your observation blind?
    /labcoat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    I love Stella from a can and actually prefer it to the bottles. :rolleyes:

A 'MEN BEHAVING BADLY' FAN ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

Not sure if it was a mistake or not but I just bought 2 bottles of London Pride for €1.98 in Dunnes!!:D

Just got some myself the other day, 99c each. Perhaps its a stock clear out? Good beer this cheap can't last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A 'MEN BEHAVING BADLY' FAN ?
    More likely a decent beer fan, most stella in bottles here is brewed in the UK, most cans I see are proper belgian stella, though I expect some UK brewed cans might be out there nowadays. People were always confused why cans were €2+ while bottles cost next to nothing.

As said most cans are lined with plastic so if you are "tasting" aluminium it is probably from smelling it if you are drinking out of the can

grenache- you did not answer if you drink lager from the can, I expect you pour out your stout and if you drank lager from the can you would get the smell. If you had aluminium under your nose drinking from a bottle you should get the same effect, I have noticed it if foil is left on the top of bottles.
    grenache wrote: »
    Tyskie, Lech and Zywiec are a similar price for a bottle as they are for a can so i dont know why you would buy the canned version to begin with. But meh, different strokes for different folks and all.
    Some might have experienced bottles effected by light and been put off them for good, a can will obviously not be effected by the light. Lech comes in green bottles, the others should fare better. They might even prefer properly stored bottles over cans but will not take the risk, i.e. a bad bottle might be much worse to them than a standard can -which should be more consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Kerpackie a beaut of a beer at 5% but good god does it give you a whomper of a hangover;)
    Tyskie is a nice one too:D

Usually Prazsky is a good bet too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

rubadub wrote: »
    More likely a decent beer fan, most stella in bottles here is brewed in the UK, most cans I see are proper belgian stella, though I expect some UK brewed cans might be out there nowadays. People were always confused why cans were €2+ while bottles cost next to nothing.

As said most cans are lined with plastic so if you are "tasting" aluminium it is probably from smelling it if you are drinking out of the can

grenache- you did not answer if you drink lager from the can, I expect you pour out your stout and if you drank lager from the can you would get the smell. If you had aluminium under your nose drinking from a bottle you should get the same effect, I have noticed it if foil is left on the top of bottles.

Some might have experienced bottles effected by light and been put off them for good, a can will obviously not be effected by the light. Lech comes in green bottles, the others should fare better. They might even prefer properly stored bottles over cans but will not take the risk, i.e. a bad bottle might be much worse to them than a standard can -which should be more consistent.

I must say, I got a strong tinny taste from the cans I bought recently of Newcastle Brown Ale. I had to buy a bottle and taste them side by side and there was a big difference. The bottle was nicer. I always pour ales into a glass.

Unfortunately the Stella is all UK brewed now from what I can see and is now lower in alcohol. It has dropped from 5.2 to 5.0 but I have to say, its still my favourite BUL lager.

BTW Going to Dunnes to check out the London Pride and also to see if the Newkie is still under 1.30 a can. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 murpolopoliss

Fosters is the best cheap beer..!! i love it..!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

duvel @1.95 in tesco is great value and a fav of mine

No London Pride in Dunnes Cornelscourt. In fact no bottles of English ale. I did however get Newkie Brown for the unbelievably price of €1.29 a can :D

I cant see that price lasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

No londons pride in kilkenny either :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gone from Blackpool, Cork (where I originally got it)!:mad:

pa990 wrote: »
    duvel @1.95 in tesco is great value and a fav of mine

yeah agreed. what % is it, i think its fairly strong and what size bottles. ta.
    nice taste tho.

is it just me or does anyone else think carlsberg is probably the worst beer in the world.

i just cant stand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 On the Bench

Carlsberg is awful.. What do people think of Grolsch? Its 8.99 in Tesco for 6 small bottles, a bit too dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Carlsberg is awful.. What do people think of Grolsch? Its 8.99 in Tesco for 6 small bottles, a bit too dear.

An green bottle are not a good way to store beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

No London Pride in Dunnes Cornelscourt. In fact no bottles of English ale. I did however get Newkie Brown for the unbelievably price of €1.29 a can :D

I cant see that price lasting.

Pretty sure it was that price for the last few months, decent cheap beer.

London pride should be back in dunnes from this week on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

ive never heard of or tasted this london pride. Is it a good beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its a nice robust ale that isn't hard to drink and tastes slightly sweet (imo). At the 98c a bottle last week it was brilliant value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Had 6 cans of Stoyas & 4 Karpackie last nite (6 cans of Stoya is €6.49 in my local Dunnes, Karpackie is €4.50 for the 4), both nice cheap beers and I was perfect this morning, :) Also like Tuborg (My local centra does it a euro a can :D), Bavaria and Dunnes own Germania lager at 99c a can is pritty decent too :)

Nick

tuburg is pretty ok . for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

4 packs (4 x 330mls) of Leffe & Hoegaarden on offer in Tescos for €5.

Beer Offers valid till 01/06/2010

London pride should be back in dunnes from this week on.

And probably back to just under 3 yoyos a bottle :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Go to Tesco then, it's 1.99 there, and they also stock Fullers Organic Honeydew at the same price.

Only got a case in this week and it's unavailable to order again. Don't know when or if it will be back. There are some new english ales coming in to dunnes in a few weeks so london pride may well be gone for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Right all this talk about karpackie has made me want to get some this weekend.:D
    Cant go wrong at that price.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

London pride for €.99?? Did I miss the boat?
    Damn it.

A decent ale that. I don't find it as interesting as I did a couple of years back but it is a solid English ale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Hackenberg, or Karpackie, delicious and cheap as chips

I've noticed that Hackenberg, Karpackie and Tyskie can sometimes be very low in actual alcohol volume - despite what printer on the label.

- We bought a few boxes of Tyskie Christmas before last in ALDI and I went off to bed sober as a Judge every time I lashed back a few :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Raiser wrote: »
    - We bought a few boxes of Tyskie Christmas before last in ALDI and I went off to bed sober as a Judge every time I lashed back a few :eek:
    That is not surprising, people are usually pigging out at christmas, food makes a massive difference to blood alcohol levels achieved with the same amount. I can get on my way with 4 cans on an empty stomach, it would take about 8-10 to do the same after a big christmas dinner, also at christmas people tend to drink more frequently, day after day, so you build up a tolerance. A mate of mine used to brag about the amount he ate, but he would leave the pub and have sneaky bags of chips & burgers, once he had a full chinese meal and came back to drink more.

Advertisement