Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cheap beer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Right so this weekend i will mostly be drinking tesco premium beer.

Have to check it out, its getting some serious praise on here.

Not always available and its not on their website. Must check my local Tesco's again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ya, st etienne v stella............

there is the similar can colours thing going on .

Right folks, done the blind taste of between Stella and St Etienne.

Stella won hands down. The SE was lighter than the SA and had less flavour. Maybe the .2% ABV made the difference. Still a fine enough lager well chilled for the money thumbupyellow.gif

Fantastic beer deals in the Lidl starting Monday. I will be stocking up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I think Bavaria is king of cheap beers.

Probably one of my favourites regardless of price.

Although I have been having some stomach issues the morning after a Bavaria session lately...so I had to switch to Coorls Light as it really is light. Almost alcoholic water with a hint of beer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Antrim_Man wrote: »

Where did you see this? I cant find a link on the lidl website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

koHd wrote: »
    Almost alcoholic water with a hint of beer :)

What's the point? I mean don't get me wrong, fair play for at least knowing you are drinking piss but what is the point of drinking alcoholic water? If it is just to get drunk without feeling full then you are better off going with some cheap whiskey or vodka.

Personally I only drink beer because of the flavour so it has to be good. Getting drunk is actually an unintended (sometimes fun) side effect that I try to avoid or minimise as much as possible.

I am very much enjoying my Brooklyn lager at the moment. 6 Pack in Tesco for €8 and some change and it is one of the best lagers on the planet in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Saruman wrote: »
    I am very much enjoying my Brooklyn lager at the moment. 6 Pack in Tesco for €8 and some change and it is one of the best lagers on the planet in my opinion.

Never heard of it TBH. I also only really drink beers that I like. I must have a look in tesco tomorrow and pick up a 6 pack if they have it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Chewabacca wrote: »
    I also only really drink beers that I like.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Never heard of it TBH. I also only really drink beers that I like. I must have a look in tesco tomorrow and pick up a 6 pack if they have it.

It is hoppy and almost like an American Pale Ale in how much citrus is going on. If you have had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale then it is similar in many ways but it is a lager.

Look for it along with Sam Adams Boston Lager (also not bad).

Plenty of reviews here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Saruman wrote: »
    What's the point? I mean don't get me wrong, fair play for at least knowing you are drinking piss but what is the point of drinking alcoholic water? If it is just to get drunk without feeling full then you are better off going with some cheap whiskey or vodka.

Personally I only drink beer because of the flavour so it has to be good. Getting drunk is actually an unintended (sometimes fun) side effect that I try to avoid or minimise as much as possible.

Well I'm not like you then. The main exercise the *majority of the time I drink is to get a slightly inebriated.

Spirits would get me too drunk too quickly. They also give me terrible hangovers. Plus, I'd prefer the taste of Coors than a mixed drink, or spirits straight.

I don't know what the big deal people make over Coors Light. It's not all that bad. Granted it's not the most amazing beer you'll ever have. But seriously, some people go on as if it's the devil himself.

It's smooth, has a nice refreshing taste of beer about it and leaves my stomach in good order the next morning. Sorted.

*there is the odd time I just drink one or two different beers for the taste, not to get drunk

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Prazsky is nice aswell, having a few atm, can't go wrong at just 1.15 a can, Had a can of budweiser last nite (someone left for me), dreadful stuff!

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Antrim_Man wrote: »

what beers will they have ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

pa990 wrote: »

Check out the Lidl beer thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Have to say lads, that Perlenbacher stuff is quality. Especially for the price of it like.

pa990 wrote: »

I picked up 2X15X275ml bottles of San Miguel for €9.99 each this week.
    Also Shepherd Neame Goldings Summer Ale €1.49 each for 500ml bottle

Also got to try in Aldi 4X440ml Lowenstein 4.5%ABV for €2.99 and must say its a very fine cheap beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 croppy

hi lads,
    I work in an independant offie and have to say my favourite beer at the moment is moosehead, quality beer on only €7.50 for 6 bottles.
    but my long time fav is stella bottles very cheap €1 a bottle nice taste and strong as well. Lech and tyskie are favourites as well but I do not like karapackie at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Well I'm starting college next week so I'm probably gonna have to start looking into trying a lot more of the cheaper beers from now on... Up til now I've just always stuck to pints of Guiness and maybe whiskeys later on in the night but econmics and college life dictates that I switch to the cans

Usually I drink Bavaria but I'm looking to expand my horizons on these cheap beers... but saying that I don't want to buy something that is just terrible and would put me of drinking for good :o

What would you guys recommend for me to try and what to avoid at all costs:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tractorist

There's a new shop open on Lower Rathmines Road, they sell home brewing equipment there. I have already made very good Ale. It tastes very good, way better than Bavaria and other cheap beers.

I’m basically paying 1€ / Liter. They do home delivery as well, their website is http://mybeerandwine.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kayla__kat

becks aint too expensive its kinda like stella der is dat 8 % beer dat could get u far :o:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It all depends on your personal taste really, I can't stand cheap beers like Karpackie and Bavaria but find the cheap beers in Lidl and Aldi are grand if you're on a budget. The little 250ml bottles work out very cheap and they're good cause you don't get that nasty bit at the end of the can that goes all warm.

These little bad boys from Tesco are grand too.

4086168638_49cf03f00c_z.jpg

Normally though I'd treat myself to a nice craft beer or imported lager before going on the cheaper stuff. :)

Tuborg, Prazsky, Bavaria, Stoya, Karpackie

There not actually bad either of them... Theres always dutch gold which is not great but drinkable all the same, Dunnes lager is 79c a can, 12 cans for < €10 is a good bargain but I noticed these ones to be very hit and miss :D :P :pac:

Nick

kayla__kat wrote: »
    becks aint too expensive its kinda like stella der is dat 8 % beer dat could get u far :o:eek:

Bavaria 8.6? Been meaning to try it alrite, only seen it in very few offies, prob a good reason for that :pac:

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Bavaria export is damn good! Its the green and silver can, not the blue ones. But in general i'm a bavaria fan, I even drink it in pubs on draught if available!

Where can I get my hands on the 8.6% Bav :D:D:D I'm heading to Dublin for college so what off licenses around the DCU or city centre would stock this liquid gold :p

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Where can I get my hands on the 8.6% Bav :D:D:D I'm heading to Dublin for college so what off licenses around the DCU or city centre would stock this liquid gold :p

Only ever seen it in my local spar which I venture into very rarely, centras, dunnes, tescos etc dont seem to stock it! Also its only 7.9% volume I think, and around €2 a can, I was tempted before but went with something else instead :D

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

“I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor. It is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country.”

William McKinley
    25th President of the USA

“I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor. It is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country.”

William McKinley
    25th President of the USA

I'll use "cheaper than premium priced beers" next time ;)
    2 pints of Guinness will cost the same as a 6 pack of "cheaper than premium" beer- unfortunately money speaks when your going to college and with no part time work even - that's just the way it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I was joking, but still I'd rather 3 great beers than 10 mediocre or crap ones

Advertisement