Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cheap beer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

rubadub wrote: »
    Cans of UK brewed cobra 5% are €25 for 24 in O'Briens at the moment. Have yet to taste it.

yes cobra is one of the best imo.
    used to get in many indian restaurants in uk.
    its usually alot more spinny than this tho.

tuburg - drinkable and good value.
    dont like the taste of many of the polish/cheq stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Thomasheen wrote: »
    Gotta be bavaria. Or tuborg. Actually anything for 6 under 8 euro

+1 for that ! I havent had bavaria in a while but i used to get it in tesco, 10 bottles for 9.99. Been drinkin tuborg now a while. I didnt know it has lessened in alcohol but i have seen the price go up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Just got 48 330ml cans of Stella for £15 in Tesco's up North :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Antrim_Man wrote: »

that's mad ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Huh??!! Where, please?! Thats in or around 47 cents a bottle?! *hope Jester doesn't reply with something like "Prague, mate!"

Not quite Prague

<---

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Galahad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I pay 50 - 70 cent for a 500ml bottle of beer in the local drink market :D

One of the advantages of living in Germany.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

KTRIC wrote: »
    I pay 50 - 70 cent for a 500ml bottle of beer in the local drink market :D

One of the advantages of living in Germany.
    Until you want a stout, a hoppy pale ale, or anything else that isn't lager or wheat beer, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

BeerNut wrote: »
    Until you want a stout, a hoppy pale ale, or anything else that isn't lager or wheat beer, right?

Pretty much :(

Thanks for killing my buzz !!

KTRIC wrote: »
    Thanks for killing my buzz !!
    Sorry. I have to speak up for the chronically-gouged Irish beer drinker when I can ;) At least we have variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They can be got but you will be paying Irish prices for them. Got some Bishops Finger and Hobgoblin last week in a local store and they were €3 a bottle! That's a 6:1 price difference to the local beer :(

Antrim_Man wrote: »

WTF I missed that when i was up last week,what was it,a two for one offer?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Poltergoose

Was out the other night and found probably the best deal in town.€3.50 for pints and spirits in Macturcaills pub, couldnt believe it.so for me thats the best cheap drink.it was like going back in time could get drunk on a twenty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

if in Cork:

Weihenstephaner Dunkleweiss €1 a bottle (just out of date)
    It don't get much better than that.

Also Corbinian 4 for €10

6 Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale + Glass €15

All at the abbott's

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

watch out for lidils offer of 18 bottles of stella artois for €12, ya cant go wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Hey folks, just stumbled accross this thread. Im not too fussy when it comes to beers, however, I was in lidl there yesturday and got 8 cans of Excelsior. Its just under 90 cent a can and must say its probably the nicest bear I have ever had!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Hackenberg, or Karpackie, delicious and cheap as chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just in case anyone missed the bargain alerts thread, 24 bottles of corona for 24 euro in Dunnes Stores. Of course you gotta factor in the cost of the lime, but for me it's the perfect summer beer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Hackenberg, or Karpackie, delicious and cheap as chips

Agreed, both great beers, and at 4 for a fiver can't go wrong :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

You know I really have to laugh when I see Tuborg so cheap here, so I would assume that a lot of punters would think "it must be muck if it's that cheap". Now I'm normally a cider drinker myself, but I do like beer now and then, and my fave would have to be Tuborg, and the oddest part of it all, my brother lives in Norway, where a beer can be quite expensive (well, a little more pricey than here) and it's one of the most expensive drinks you can buy there =/ lol when he was over visiting at Christmas he couldn't believe how cheap it was!!!

Just my 2c

Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

You know I really have to laugh when I see Tuborg so cheap here, so I would assume that a lot of punters would think "it must be muck if it's that cheap". Now I'm normally a cider drinker myself, but I do like beer now and then, and my fave would have to be Tuborg, and the oddest part of it all, my brother lives in Norway, where a beer can be quite expensive (well, a little more pricey than here) and it's one of the most expensive drinks you can buy there =/ lol when he was over visiting at Christmas he couldn't believe how cheap it was!!!

Just my 2c

Al

Watery and tasteless springs to mind. Did your brother comment on the difference on the quality??

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

Good old damburger. they've a green label and a red one. green is 4.1% €1 a can and the red is 5% selling at 4 for €5. i've only ever seen it in munster really though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

tippguy wrote: »
    Good old damburger. they've a green label and a red one. green is 4.1% €1 a can and the red is 5% selling at 4 for €5. i've only ever seen it in munster really though
    I've seen damburger in dublin, the 5% one at around €2 a can :O Granted thats in a Centra but still :S

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

Hackenburg 4 for a fiver or cans of Newcastle brown ale at €1.75 a pop are the best of the cheap options.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

Just my 2c

Al

Tuborg is rotten.

It's high time someone did a cheap beer blind taste taste, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

An optician told me 22cans of dutch gold blinded a patient of his.
    992476789a6243882237l.jpg

I'm still on the karpackie, 4 for €5, kept icecold in supervalu deansgrange. I hate places that never chill cheaper beers, or those fridges that are barely turned on at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes a blind tasting might have literal results. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

Anoeta wrote: »
    Hackenburg 4 for a fiver or cans of Newcastle brown ale at €1.75 a pop are the best of the cheap options.

Another vote for Newcastle Brown Ale, great stuff for €1.40 (at Dunnes). I don't really drink lager any more, so this is one of the best options for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

5% of course, do you know nothing??

I was only messing, but they did change it and it went un-noticed by many, price remained the same though they use less ingredients and there is less duty on it now too.

It's mad to think that a strong 33cl bottle of beer has more alcohol than a 50cl can. A bottle of Sam Adams Honey Porter (who says I'm not on topic) has as much alcohol as a can of tuborg and is only c. 75c extra.
    I love drinking low % beers, I remember in China downing 1 or 2% beers all day long, couldnt get too drunk and stay nicely hydrated.

Whereabouts was that? I only ever saw the 2% stuff in the village beside Huang Shen. Mostly it was 3-4%.

Advertisement