Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cheap beer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

lazzday wrote: »
    Perlenbacher from Lidl....6 500ml bottles for €7(they sometimes go down to €5), and a hell of a lot nicer than most mainstream brands!

Perlenbacher is down to 4.99 for a six pack at the moment.

my current favourite "cheap beer" is Wolters Pilsener

5.49 for 6 * 330ml ( its 4.0% ) in Eurospar

any comments on Wolters from the resident afficianados ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've never tried it. However, the aficionados of RateBeer have awarded it 12 marks out of 100.

I see Nastro Azzurro is given a mark of 6 on ratebeer so Wolters 12 is not a bad score :-)

Nastro Azzurro is given a mark of 6
    As much as that? They must all be on the happy pills :p

I don't think it was scored on that criteria ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 lazzday

Perlenbacher is down to 4.99 for a six pack at the moment.

my current favourite "cheap beer" is Wolters Pilsener

5.49 for 6 * 330ml ( its 4.0% ) in Eurospar

any comments on Wolters from the resident afficianados ?

Good....time to stack on the aul "pearls!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Saruman wrote: »
    Sheperd Naeme beers are great, especially Bishops Finger! Fantastic stuff.

As you said, pricey but I only drink good beer these days and cans of Tuborg and muck like that do not cut it.
    Premium craft beer all the way. You get less for your money but you enjoy it so much more.

Was up North and Tesco had 3 for £4 for Bishops Finger. Got a load as they are €2.99 a bottle in O'Briens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

posted over in bargain alerts .
    Slab of guinness (24x500ml) in tesco douglas for 26.99
    Thats 1.12 per can

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Was up North and Tesco had 3 for £4 for Bishops Finger. Got a load as they are €2.99 a bottle in O'Briens.

All Sheperds Neame beers are €1.99 a bottle in Tesco if i remember rightly. Gone off Bishops finger....drank way too much of it over xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Duvel 330ml bottle is €1.88 in tesco at the moment, well in ballybrack tesco anyway. The 8.5% one with the white label. I think leffe blonde was 4x330ml for €6

Stella 5%x330mlx24 bottles was €15

Carlsberg 500ml cans €1 in O'Briens

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Duvel 330ml bottle is 1.88 in tesco at the moment, well in ballybrack tesco anyway. The 8.5% one with the white label. I think leffe blonde was 4x330ml for 6

Stella 5%x330mlx24 bottles was 15

Carlsberg 500ml cans 1 in O'Briens

The duvel was 1.95 recenty in tesco.. I must check it out.. If it's 1.88 i'll stock up on some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

MacArdles Ale.Its fantastic.
    e1.something per can.

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    e1.something per can.

Must try it now that I see its been recommended ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

When i'm stuck for a few quid lately, i find myself turning to the 6 btl pack of Efes, a Turkish delight! Sort of an earthy flavour to it. Defo good value at E7. Other than that, Lech and Tyskie are a steal for less than E2 a bottle.

rubadub wrote: »
    Duvel 330ml bottle is 1.88 in tesco at the moment, well in ballybrack tesco anyway. The 8.5% one with the white label .....

1.95 in tesco wilton, twas never reduced :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I like Fosters, it's cheap, goes down easy, quite like the taste. Much prefer it on tap, but I rarely get the option unless I'm in UCD.

Miller tastes like vomit. :)

Bavaria is quite good too.

fosters was a lot nicer when it was made in ireland..

Lidl this week. 18 bottles of Stella Artois for €11.99 :)

PS £6.99 in Lidl N.I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

At the moment my weekend beers are Perlenbacher (6.25 for 6 500ml in lidl) & Tyskie (4 cans for 6.15 in dunnes). Im sure your all familiar with them.:)
    I'd been looking around for a quality budget beer for a long time & eventually settled on this combo.

Perlenbacher is a fine pils thats very clean but has a slightly sharp aftertaste. Its good but not something i would drink all night.
    Tyskie is just excellent & possibly the nicest canned beer on the market. Its a matter of time till the 4 pack in dunnes gets a price bump.

Looking forward to trying Zywiec & prazsky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Lidl this week. 18 bottles of Stella Artois for €11.99 :)

I can usually drink most things without any ill effects. But even just ONE bottle of Stella gives me the WORST heartburn, acidic hell!

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    I can usually drink most things without any ill effects. But even just ONE bottle of Stella gives me the WORST heartburn, acidic hell!

I love the stuff. Easily my number 1 BUL lager ( I normally avoid BUL's at all costs) and the best value one on the market.

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    e1.something per can.

Just in Dunnes there. McArdles is €1.44 a can and Newcastle Brown Ale is €1.29 a can, so bought a load of NBA and a one can of McArdles just to taste :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kenneth5

Moosehead - decent strong canadian lager. Seven quid for a six pack. For fans of Sam adams ( O'Donovans )

Stoya - same price as moosehead, not as nice imo but definetly worth a pop if your able to stomach prasky or dutch mould. ( O'Donovans, spar )

Munsterbrau - french blond beer, comes in those small bottles that cost a fiver for ten. Take your time drinking it if you don't want your stomach to be half eroded in the morning. ( carry out )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I had a few bottles of Bavaria last weekend & it wasn't half bad. Not very strong though at only 4.2% alcohol but its very cheap. A euro a bottle in my local offie. Ive been told its rotten from a can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kenneth5

I had a few bottles of Bavaria last weekend & it wasn't half bad. Not very strong though at only 4.2% alcohol but its very cheap. A euro a bottle in my local offie. Ive been told its rotten from a can.

It's addicitve from a can. I had more bavaria than blood in my system two months after I first started drinking. Had to cut back since, that much wheat beer destroy's my stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Fosters for sure. Had it for the first time about a month ago and all I'll drink now is that and Bud

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

kenneth5 wrote: »
    It's addicitve from a can. I had more bavaria than blood in my system two months after I first started drinking. Had to cut back since, that much wheat beer destroy's my stomach

Do Bavaria do wheat beers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Tyskie is topps but will knock your runners off pretty quick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Tubourg without a doubt. It's even in a Kings Of Leon and an Eminem music video.....

Advertisement