Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cheap beer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

whats the taste like? good or good for the cost ? ta

Tastes great typical german pills flavor, it's normally €6.29 which is still great value..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    For anybody crossing the border.

Asda 20x440ml Stella Artois £9 :)
    I just checked the asda UK website and am astounded that theres next to no difference between some of their specials and that down south.

i.e. Becks is 2 six packs for 8 pounds, so 10 euro more or less for 12 bottles.
    Sounds great.

But then in Tesco Cork there was 18 bottles of becks for 15 euro there at Easter (and possibly still the case?).
    So exactly the same.
    5 euro per 6 bottles.

[note, both north and south youre dealing with 275 ml bottles]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

bryaner wrote: »
    perlenbacher down to €4.29 for 6 500ml bottles in lidl for a week get on it
    Got this last night, couldn't believe the price, it is a great beer. Are you sure that offer is only for a week? i must stock up so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Jigga wrote: »
    Got this last night, couldn't believe the price, it is a great beer. Are you sure that offer is only for a week? i must stock up so!

Think it ends on saturday but don't panic it will only go back to €6.29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Bavaria is ****. Dutch is worse. Karpackie is best. 4 cans for 4.60,5%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Regarding cans, there's no such thing as a good cheap beer in a can really, taste wise they're all pretty poor and much of a muchness. Especially not from a can. The only thing i'd drink from a can is stout or cider. Defo not beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

grenache wrote: »
    there's no such thing as a good cheap beer in a can really
    "Really"? Really really, or "I just think so" really? A few of us did a blind tasting recently and the Tesco Premium Lager (<€1 a can) fared remarkably well. Dunno if "good" is the word, but I don't drink much lager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Regarding cans, there's no such thing as a good cheap beer in a can really, taste wise they're all pretty poor and much of a muchness. Especially not from a can. The only thing i'd drink from a can is stout or cider. Defo not beer.

Utter utter grade A sh!te.:) Plenty of decent beers around the 1 euro mark.

Utter utter grade A sh!te.:) Plenty of decent beers around the 1 euro mark.
    from a bottle maybe but from a can? What are these beers you speak of?

And to BeerNut, yes that's just my opinion. Everyone has their own differing tastes. I've just yet to come across anything i like from a can. The aluminium certainly doesn't add to the flavour.

I've just yet to come across anything i like from a can. The aluminium certainly doesn't add to the flavour.

Ever drink Tyskie, Lech, prazsky, zywiec?? If none of these seem in any way tasty to you then i would begin to question your judgement!!!:confused:

• Advertisement

Ever drink Tyskie, Lech, prazsky, zywiec?? If none of these seem in any way tasty to you then i would begin to question your judgement!!!:confused:
    i just think they taste much better from a bottle. I'm just a taste bud snob when it comes to cans. Tyskie, Lech and Zywiec are a similar price for a bottle as they are for a can so i dont know why you would buy the canned version to begin with. But meh, different strokes for different folks and all.

i just think they taste much better from a bottle. I'm just a taste bud snob when it comes to cans. Tyskie, Lech and Zywiec are a similar price for a bottle as they are for a can so i dont know why you would buy the canned version to begin with. But meh, different strokes for different folks and all.

The aluminium certainly doesn't add to the flavour.
    Um, you're not actually drinking straight from the can, are you? You're going to get metal flavours if there's a sheet of aluminium directly under your nose as you drink. But the beer itself never touches metal because the can is lined on the inside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Bottles, most def. All of the above, plus Okocim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Has to be Fosters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

poisonated wrote: »
    Has to be Fosters.

God, noooo! Fosters is for people who hate beer :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

bryaner wrote: »
    Think it ends on saturday but don't panic it will only go back to €6.29
    Is the offer over now do you know bryaner? i got 24 of them last night just in case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Brahma in Tesco 10 euro for 12 bottles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've just yet to come across anything i like from a can. The aluminium certainly doesn't add to the flavour.
    Do mind the stainless steel in contact with kegged beers? and the plastic beer lines?
    The only thing i'd drink from a can is stout or cider. Defo not beer.
    Stout was a beer last time I checked!

I had a few beers last night. A few bottles of perlenbacher & a couple of cans of Tyskie. I honestly didn't get any taste of metal from the tyskie & in fact the bottled perlenbacher didn't taste great after drinking the canned polish beer.:)
    What im saying is i think the 'canned beer tastes like metal' theory is rubbish. Oh & i never drink beer from a can unless im at a bbq or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not sure if it was a mistake or not but I just bought 2 bottles of London Pride for €1.98 in Dunnes!!:D

rubadub wrote: »
    Do mind the stainless steel in contact with kegged beers? and the plastic beer lines?
    The only thing i drink on draught is stout and i find no fault in how it tastes, regardless of how its stored. Aluminium is different to stainless steel though, and stifles the quality of the beer. The same with coke in a can. Like beer, coke from a glass bottle tastes much better.
    Stout was a beer last time I checked!
    Lager is what i meant to say.

Aluminium is different to stainless steel though, and stifles the quality of the beer.
    :D Where did you get this from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Not sure if it was a mistake or not but I just bought 2 bottles of London Pride for €1.98 in Dunnes!!:D

I got three today, it was all they had left. Clearing the stock from the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Gotta be Dutch Gold haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

:DStella, tis an aquired taste...
    I just think it has this really unique taste to it and at first I hated it and then I just started to love it. And it gets you hammered, but if you drink enough of it you blank out, not in the same way as you do when you drink any other alcoholic beverage in excess though...
    tubourg also goes down easy

Yeah, I find that with a few people I drink with. I think it's an excellent drink. Got a bit of power to it, but I try not to abuse if it watching football matches back to back - things can get a bit messy if it's carried on for a few hours. Can't really comment on its hangover inducing qualities. Any excessive drinking does that. There isn't much of a differerence, but I don't get very back hangovers.

But back to the point, there's a rash of 1 euro offers in O'Brien's these days. Miller, Stella, Hollandia (which is fine), Sol. They've got a drink called Dos Equis for 75cent too, which is probably a cut above the rest. I'm sure they won't stay on the shelves for too long though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I love Stella from a can and actually prefer it to the bottles. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Great deal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Con Con

6 Fosters for 5 euro in Oddbins. 44cl cans but I think still cheapest beer going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Becks
    15 x 275ml for a tenner in tesco.

Advertisement