Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance

Options
  • 16-09-2008 6:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Just doing a general check of insurance costs yesterday and I decided to see how much the difference is depending on where you live.
    Discovered that County Louth is much higher than the rest of the country, almost 50% in some cases compared to County mayo for instance, why is that?
    Is it because it is close to the border?
    County Meath is a lot cheaper but is right next to Louth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Insurers don't like big towns and cities.
    For instance some charge a "Dublin surcharge", they do in motorbikes anyway :mad:

You have more chance of an accident and certainly more chance of thieves in a town than a rural area.
    Louth has massive towns like Drogheda and Dundalk and a huge percentage of commuters on the M1 every day.

Of course Mayo has towns and commuters and it's a far bigger county but it probably has less claims than Louth. The insurance company can only go by their own records and predications and I'd say this is the reason.

Yes, I know there are loads of accidents on rural roads, I'm no actuary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

micmclo wrote: »
    Insurers don't like big towns and cities.
    For instance some charge a "Dublin surcharge", they do in motorbikes anyway :mad:

You have more chance of an accident and certainly more chance of thieves in a town than a rural area.
    Louth has massive towns like Drogheda and Dundalk and a huge percentage of commuters on the M1 every day.

Of course Mayo has towns and commuters and it's a far bigger county but it probably has less claims than Louth. The insurance company can only go by their own records and predications and I'd say this is the reason.

Yes, I know there are loads of accidents on rural roads, I'm no actuary!

The quotes though were so much higher in Louth compared to every other area including dublin, cork, galway and limerick.
    Is Louth the car crime capital in the insurance statistics?

Advertisement