Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starter motor probs

Options
  • 16-09-2008 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

Ok... I know shag all about cars.
    I get in, drive, fill up with fuel and get to my destination. If I need i can change light bulb and tyre. After that, I'm lost.

Now comes the prob.
    I g/f has just gone off for a couple of weeks to see her parents in Oz. Yesterday she had car trouble and called AA. They came out, got it going again and said its the starter motor thats on the way out.

I called in to garage and asked for rough figures to get it fixed. They said anything from NZ$300-$700(€320). Would that sound right to you?

Gonna ask in another place tomorrow. The car is still starting, but now and again it struggles.

The problem is, if it cost $700 dollars then she'll sell it and get a diff car. Its only worth $1500 according to the insurance.

The car is a 1995(i think) Nissan BlueBird.

Any idea of the usual cost for a starter motor to be fixed, or getting a refurbished one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You can always buy a hammer for about $10.00 that will do the job, every time the starter fails to start you give it a belt with the hammer, the shock will help release the bendix and start the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Hammer :D
    +1.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

That is what the AA guy did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

you can also push start too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Its my g/f's car. She'll be driving it most of the time. Push starts and hitting it with a hammer aren't long term solutions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Where i'm working we sell new and we recon starters and alternators. €200 would be around the max to get a starter recond, depending obviously what car it is. We also remove and fit the starters, 58 quid an hour, generally talking 2 hours for it to be done. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Another solution is to get her to park on a hill every time she need to stop, this will eliminate the hassle of pushing and also the need for a hammer,.:D

Advertisement