Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Match Thread** Mon 22-Sep-08 - St. Colmcilles 19:00 Iona v Boardeaux

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    And I thought I'd done alright over the last few seasons. Thanks for bringing me down to earth el capitan ;)

Ah save it for Oprah Martin :p you know that's not what I meant - point I was making is that the standard has gone up a few notches across the board so whereas before some of the more epxerienced players in the squad like ourselves could play short of full fitness (e.g. the compartment syndrome was killing my mobility) and still be doing a decent job for the team, now there's no margin for that as the standard is better across the board so everyone needs to be on top of their game to get into the team.

Personally I'm hoping the surgery has worked and I can run without the legs wanting to literally explode for the first time in living memory, but I've no interest in coming back too early this time as I won't be doing myself justice or adding anything to the team. So I'm gonna take the time to get it right and come back when it's right and fight for my place then. Was just suggesting you consider taking a similar approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Loads of good points about the set pieces lads. What would be ideal would be to get a half an hour before a game to go through it on a proper pitch. Failing that, talking through it and putting lads in place on a pretend pitch would still do no harm.

Interesting view on the marking. I've had coaches who went for a zonal marking system and ones that went for man marking (was always more successful). Best coach didn't agree with defaulting to fullbacks on posts - fullbacks are generally better in the air than wingers, so why not stick wingers on the posts and let fullbacks win it, unless the wingers are too small to do a job on the posts.

It really does require a loud centre-half (say hello to Ed everybody :) at the first corner to make sure he's happy with who's marking who. We generally went with either marking the fella you were marking in the game or (what I preferred) matching up based on height/aerial ability. I've seen tall lads who are muck in the air as they won't put their head in amongst a crowd to win it, and likewise have seen smaller lads who'd get a nick on anything. Berbatov is a classic example of a tall lad with no interest in fighting for the team so I wouldn't be relying on him for anything (whatever about Robbie for 20 odd million, 30 odd for him was way to much for me!).

We could do the same and get organised for our own corners too. We had a great system at Parkvale where 3 of us would line up diagonally at the far corner of the D and make different diagonal runs when it's in the air - kicker would give a call which one he was hitting. We scored a bucketload with it cos simple as it sounds a lot of teams just couldn't deal with it.

Oh yeh, have to say the throw-ins on Monday were a thing of beauty compared to last season :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Interesting view on the marking. I've had coaches who went for a zonal marking system and ones that went for man marking (was always more successful). Best coach didn't agree with defaulting to fullbacks on posts - fullbacks are generally better in the air than wingers, so why not stick wingers on the posts and let fullbacks win it, unless the wingers are too small to do a job on the posts.

This could be a good approach.
    It really does require a loud centre-half (say hello to Ed everybody :) at

He's certainly loud enough to the ref!

Oh yeh, have to say the throw-ins on Monday were a thing of beauty compared to last season :D

No excuse for the foul throws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Best coach didn't agree with defaulting to fullbacks on posts - fullbacks are generally better in the air than wingers, so why not stick wingers on the posts and let fullbacks win it, unless the wingers are too small to do a job on the posts.

My best coach said the exact opposite funnily enough. His logic was that the better defender should be on the post because their natural reaction is to clear their lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well we need to decide the next day. im all for jules idea of having a 30 minute set piece set up, but have we time now? there will be a game before us the next night. delivery is crucial also, i remember gav went through a phase last year where he had 4 or 5 games of top class corner deliveries and he had almost an assist ever game. lepo, when he wants to (:D) can also send in a decent delivery from the wings.

we need a balance tho, if we are scoring from set pieces, then the law of averages means we can expect to concede, especially as alot of teams just launch in balls into the box...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I take it that keeper wont be playing for us again??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I take it that keeper wont be playing for us again??

ya he is interested alright. we have 2 now i think! so its up to both to fight it out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Two keepers? Without training to keep the one not playing interested? How's that going to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ye, I agree Martin.

Squads not finalised, but we should only be going with one keeper.

I know Des is going with a large number this season, but surely anything over 18 is too much? It's ok having virtually another starting XI on the sideline for a friendly but for a league game its another matter.
    I know people will miss the odd game etc but why not go with a solid 18 who will be there week in week out?...this is not what we did last season - we had a handful of players who must have missed at least half the games because of work/travel?
    I know, bar injury, I will definitely be at 16 games...and am currently in negotiations at work to see if I can make all 18:D. I was waiting for fixtures to come out and if I couldn't commit to at least that many games I was pulling out. I think 16-18 games is what should be expected of everyone in the final squad.

If we're going with 20+ fair enough...you won't hear another word from me on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Goalie

My best coach said the exact opposite funnily enough. His logic was that the better defender should be on the post because their natural reaction is to clear their lines

That's what we do. Full backs stick to the posts and are less prone to making mistakes than our wingers. We tried that ages ago...didn't work out too well.
    I make sure our centre halves grab the biggest players in the box. After that each other player takes the closest man. You saw the damage an attacking centre half arriving late in the box can do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Two keepers? Without training to keep the one not playing interested? How's that going to work?

I can make most if not all games (must find a way of getting to Columbas) either way, so personally I've no problem number two. I think relying on one goalkeeper is risky.

Just landed back, very impressed with the report of the games..

Advertisement