Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapo makeup that's good

• 16-09-2008 9:16am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I ran out of my Armani eye shadow base on Friday and was going out and didn't have time to go all the way into Brown Thomas as I live out in Blanchardstown and BT2 don't do Armani.. So I decided to improvise, went into Boots and found myself a Rimmel one (delicate rose is the shade) and guess what, it's just as good as the Armani, gives the same lovely sheen and lasted me the whole night... So I'm chuffed with myself.. The Armani one is 22.00 for a tiny pot and the Rimmel one is 4.50 for the same amount..

Anyone else got any little bargains to share???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

The Barry M glitter dusts are on a par with the M.A.C. pigments. Hard to get here tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I always find that cheapy mascara is just as good as expensive mascara. I use Loreal. I go through any so quickly so it's handy to save money that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

The Barry M glitter dusts are on a par with the M.A.C. pigments. Hard to get here tho.

I love the stuff! The only place I've ever found it is Boots in Jervis Street though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

fonpokno wrote: »
    I love the stuff! The only place I've ever found it is Boots in Jervis Street though.

I think Boots have some sort of exclusive distribution deal on them. :(

I've used Rimmel for years for everything make up related.
    The only expensive addition I've made is Chanel face powder (amazing) and some Smashbox stuff my mother gave me for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

my housemate uses MAC, swears by it, but I always think she looks gaunt and ill with it and it looks pasty on...this is after having it done by a consultant n all, whereas I use loreal, bourgois (sp), rimmel, and love em and think the colours and quality are great, and for really great colours try stargazer! cheap and awesome colours!

• Advertisement

Do they do it there?

I usually get mine in the UK; I assume Superdrug here do them also though.

I find the Revlon stuff great too; I know its not cheap cheap, but the stuff works very well I have always found.

Some of the Cheapie nail polishes are very good also, especially if you use a good quality basecoat; otherwise its yellow nail alert!!

The Mavala polishes are fantastic also, and the small little bottle is ideal!!

I find Bourjouis eyeshadows are great, and their mascara is nice also. Crap coverage nail varnish tho!

New Vaseline Rosy lips is a lovely lip gloss for daytime also, and is just under €2!! Happy days!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Gosh makeup is made by the same people who make MAC... was told that by a very good source.. Haven't tried it, it's hard enough to come by but I think there's a chemist near Jervis, along the Luas line that sells it..

xzanti wrote: »
    Gosh makeup is made by the same people who make MAC... was told that by a very good source.. Haven't tried it, it's hard enough to come by but I think there's a chemist near Jervis, along the Luas line that sells it..

Bourjois is made by Chanel. You can definately see the similarity in the eyshadows and blushes, but Chanel have a better range of colours.

I have never used their foundations or powders ao I couldn't comment on them.

The nail varnishes are deffo different tho, because the coverage of the Chanel ones are excellent and the Bourjois ones are ****e.

L'oreal is owned by Lancome so I have no doubt that some of their products overlap also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Barry M is sold in Superdrug in Limerick.. I think it's on Willliam St.

Also in the really big Boots stores - Jervis St one definitely, not sure about the others but it's worth a shot.. I love love LOVE Dazzle Dust, I have loads! =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

I use a lot of Avon - the illuminating make up base is fantastic and they do a fab range of mineral make up!

• Advertisement

Do they do it there?

I usually get mine in the UK; I assume Superdrug here do them also though.
    Yep but only the Boots in Jervis St in Dublin, or at least that's the only place I've ever seen it and I've searched high and low. I love the stuff!
    New Vaseline Rosy lips is a lovely lip gloss for daytime also, and is just under €2!! Happy days!!

oooh I've never heard of this! Where'd ya get that??
    Barry M is sold in Superdrug in Limerick.. I think it's on Willliam St.

Also in the really big Boots stores - Jervis St one definitely, not sure about the others but it's worth a shot.. I love love LOVE Dazzle Dust, I have loads! =D

Yes that stuff is the best ever, I've only got about 4 of them but I have great plans to stock up!

Vaseline rosy lips, its a in a little pink and white tin. Its petroleum jelly with rose and almond oil and a slight hint of a pink colour. It's been out about two weeks I think, though have only seen it in private pharmacies, not Boots to date, so might be worth looking in one of them first!!

Its lovely!!

Yes that stuff is the best ever, I've only got about 4 of them but I have great plans to stock up!

I foresee a shopping trip! \o/

Heard great things about the vaseline rosy lips actually, must find some!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Not true!!! One is a Canadian company (started up by 2 guys, then taken over in 1998 by Estee Lauder) the other is Danish (family owned). They do copy a lot of their products though so I can understand why people might think they are made by the same company.

You can get Gosh cosmetics in Debenhams on Henry Street.

Max Factor 2000 Calories is a great cheap mascara. You're better off with a cheaper good mascara as you should only really keep mascara 3 months due to bacteria build-up. (I should really practise what I preach! :o)

I used to buy Barry M in Ad Hoc in Temple Bar but that was a few years ago. I'm not sure if it's still there. Someone else said Topshop sells them. The colours are so vibrant I love them. (I had them hidden away for awhile).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Barry M is in superdrug in the Square and boots in Liffey Valley if that helps anybody! I love the stuff, and I think Miss Sporty mascara is brilliant, it's only about 3 quid as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Liking this thread! I love Rimmel's liquid eyeliner, one of the best I've used and really cheap.

I've never been able to get the hang of liquid eyeliner... always end up with it either going all over my face or somehow stabbing myself in the eye. My sister loves the Rimmel stuff though!

Anyone got a recomendation for a cheap primer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

I've never been able to get the hang of liquid eyeliner... always end up with it either going all over my face or somehow stabbing myself in the eye. My sister loves the Rimmel stuff though!

Bourjois have this eyeliner pen that seems to go on like liquid eyeliner but is a whole lot easier to use! Never bought it though only tried it in the shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

It is absolutely fantastic. They have liquid eyeliners that DON'T come off. On the label it says they can also be used as nail art pens. I was on holidays and did an experiment, one night out and 2 whole days and the stuff still wasn't off!

You can get it in Debenhams.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Debenhams (the old Roches) on Henry Street does Barry M. Saw it there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

It is absolutely fantastic. They have liquid eyeliners that DON'T come off. On the label it says they can also be used as nail art pens. I was on holidays and did an experiment, one night out and 2 whole days and the stuff still wasn't off!

You can get it in Debenhams.

The bad thing about this is if your not used to putting on liquid eyeliner, it really really doesn't come off - you're stuck with any mistakes - i speak from experience with my friends MAC liquid eyeliner :o

I'm sure its great for the 'oul eyeliner pro's though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I'll also declare my love for Barry M, also love Essence, used to use it all the time in germany, great nail polish, glosses and eyeliners. Boots Natural Collection is good for eyeshadow and blush too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Love Boots own brand...lipgloss, nail varnish, blush, powder, eyeliner, mascara. Not so great on foundation or concealer though.

I've never used a primer....does it make much of a difference?

boots own mascara is terrible! it failed every test put to it on Gok Wans

Le Rack wrote: »
    boots own mascara is terrible! it failed every test put to it on Gok Wans

Really? I love it! And I've tried lots of different priced mascaras, really like this one.

yeah it ran as soon as they introduced it to humidity! lol!
    by time they were done with the tests and cleaning it off there was nothing left to have to clean!

Le Rack wrote: »
    yeah it ran as soon as they introduced it to humidity! lol!
    by time they were done with the tests and cleaning it off there was nothing left to have to clean!

Oh right. Guess I'm an exception, really like it. Any links to that on You Tube or anything? Can't find it, didn't realise he tested make up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Pythia wrote: »

+1, I've used it and it's great. Plus it lasts forever.

OP, I don't know what's available in Ireland. There are a ton of really great American brands, but Rimmel is good for lipsticks and glosses, but their eyeshadows sucks. These eyeshadows are great and a steal! Also, Cherry Culture sells NYX Pearl Mania Powders for a buck each. They are fabulous; comparable to MAC pigments but you can buy all of the colors for the price of one MAC. They're smaller, but I've never used an entire jar of pigment, so for me that's actually a plus. HTH

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

PillyPen wrote: »
    +1, I've used it and it's great. Plus it lasts forever.

OP, I don't know what's available in Ireland. There are a ton of really great American brands, but Rimmel is good for lipsticks and glosses, but their eyeshadows sucks. These eyeshadows are great and a steal! Also, Cherry Culture sells NYX Pearl Mania Powders for a buck each. They are fabulous; comparable to MAC pigments but you can buy all of the colors for the price of one MAC. They're smaller, but I've never used an entire jar of pigment, so for me that's actually a plus. HTH

Wow that big pallet looks amazing, reviews say it's as good as MAC :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I have to say I don't skimp on things like foundation. Prescriptives is fairly expensive (about 45 euro for a 50ml bottle) but it's REALLY worth it. Touche Eclat by Yves Saint Lauren is brilliant too. I love it. I also think decent brushes are well worth investing in. If makeup is applied well it's half the battle.

As for cheap stuff... hmmm... Any cheap stuff I've tried I can find a difference in compared with a more expensive version. It could be that I have very sensitive skin but I just thought I'd put my spoke in for good makeup seeing as I've never found anything cheap to come close to decent makeup :)

Edit: forgot to mention! The one thing I do buy relatively cheap is mascara. I've yet to find one that beats max factor masterpiece. It's really really brilliant!

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Anyone got a recomendation for a cheap primer?

Gosh I'd say but I can't quite remember the price. It's great though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

thers an essance mascara in a black tube with pink on it and it is fabulous also heard good things about one of the mascaras that was on sale in aldi or lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Wow that big pallet looks amazing, reviews say it's as good as MAC :eek:

Yes, it's truly wonderful stuff! There are lots of reviews of it on YouTube, worth checking out if you're thinking about purchasing it. Plus it's super cheap, especially since it's sold in dollars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭xxzaraxx

Heya a/wear actually do gosh cosmetics!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Zombie thread. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement