Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspect Dog Cruelty?

Options
  • 16-09-2008 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi there.
    Hope you can give me some advice. I was awoken last last night by my next door neighbour - very upset. The neighbour on the other side of her appeared to be battering a dog. I went outside and heard the howling and screaming of the dog. She heard him outside in a small shed and heard what sounded like kicks and thumps and yelps from this dog. It sounded horrific. When I went out I heard him saying "get into bed" several times... the dog whimpered then with fear. Last year we believe they had a puppy also for a short time. Seen with small daughter outside. Then it disappeared. The neighbour then we think heard us whispering on the other side of the wall and brought the puppy inside. The noise stopped. A few mins later the dog was out in the shed again. I have the number of the branch of prevention of cruelty to animals. I cannot ring til 11.
    Firstly we are very concerned about this poor wee mite. I want to ring and report him but am worried that perhaps it won't be taken seriously - i.e. no proof? The neighbour will most certainly know it is us that reported him.. no evidence that he was thumping the puppy... I'd really appreciate some advice on what to do - hate to think of this wee fella suffering. Also they are away all day and dog would be locked in small shed. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Gosh l would definitely ring them and voice your concerns, if they send someone out to examine the dog ,
    l am sure they would be able to tell if it had been kicked and punched. The dog would be terribly sore and afraid.
    Do you know how long they have this dog , or if this has happened at other times? you could try recording the yelps but l don't know if that would be proof.
    You can't in all good conscience not ring, and l wouldn't worry about him ( knowing ) it was you, if it was as loud as that anyone of your neighbours could have made the call.Please let us know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Thanks Sharpshooter.
    I think the dog is only there a day or two. My neighbour heard the noise also on Sunday night - I did not as she is nearer his house.
    I am going to phone them at 11 and voice my concerns/ask for advice. I'm sure if they examined the dog there must be some bruising. We have cats of our own and would be concerned he would harm them. Nevertheless will still make the call - will update later.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

just ring them and tell them what you just told us... they will be able to examine the dog. only a coward would hit a dog and i dont see why your worried about him knowing it was you that reported him.

Have you seen any sign of the dog this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

i'd definitely ring them, you can't not ring, the poor dog.

Hopefully they come out and take the dog away from him and give him a good kicking while they're at it!! :mad:

• Advertisement

jetski wrote: »
    just ring them and tell them what you just told us... they will be able to examine the dog. only a coward would hit a dog and i dont see why your worried about him knowing it was you that reported him.

Tbh ,l wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of a maggot like him , the OP is concerned about him retaliating by hurting her cats if l am correct.

Have you seen any sign of the dog this morning?

Hi
    Heard the dog whimpering from shed early this morning.. very light sounds.. as if afraid to make noise.. never laid eyes on the poor wee thing - going to phone them soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

Silver33 wrote: »
    Hi
    Heard the dog whimpering from shed early this morning.. very light sounds.. as if afraid to make noise.. never laid eyes on the poor wee thing - going to phone them soon.

the poor guy I feel like crying!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Slightly more direct approach (not that I'm condoning it) but if, as you say, they're away all day - could you and your nice neighbour get into the back garden to investigate for yourselves? Just so you know for sure whats in the shed?

Good on you for having the courage to ring about it, too many people these days would just turn a blind eye or deaf ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

got a video camera. even if you cant get a clear shot you will be able to hear it on the camera. If he does it again get the proof and ring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

This is awful. Poor pup. Priority is to get this pup out from this situation, ISPCA, DSPCA or any other rescue animal services. But best to go with the SPCA of somesort. Also Garda, they will be needed to enter the property and help assist with the removal. No animal should ever endure this .. what will be next a child??? Its such a sad situation and makes me angry. The bruising will be there and on examination, the evidence will be there to see. This will scar this pup for life but with the proper love and care hopefully will recover but trust will take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

you gotta ring them....how cruel is that.....dogs cant help themselves...do it...would love to go around and kick the owner and see how he like it (i know very mature). in all seriousness you have to do something....let me know how you get on. good luck!

Hi all
    Thanks for all your replies. I rang the mobile number there.. There was a voice mail message stating that the SPCA have temporarily suspended their services whilst maintenance work is being carried out on the premises.
    It gives a number for the ISPCA - which is in Dublin. We are in the North West. I will give them a call and ask for advice.
    With regard to going over into the yard and looking - good idea but would have to absail over the wall! And the shed is more than likely locked... last night was like a version of Animal Cops! Could record the sounds this evening/tonight when dark. Would not be surprised if HE contacted us to say something about the noise.. an apology or something or attempt to resolve the issue as I'm sure he heard us whispering. I'll ring the ISPCA.. not sure if an animal welfare officer in this area but hopefuly they can tell me. I know there is no branch of ISPCA in this town..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP, ring the guards.

Mairt wrote: »
    OP, ring the guards.

That was the advice the ISPCA gave me. They have 5 inspectors covering the country. He said that if it is late at night and we can hear suffering then to phone the Gardai. He is asking the local inspector about it and is ringing me back. The call has been logged. The man was very helpful. Although apart from the Gardai there is no other authority that can call to inspect. I am leaving the office shortly - will sign in later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

I do hope that they wont leave this pup in the shed and rescue him out from there asap. You have done a great thing helping this pup and hope others will do so if they experience similar experiences. You have if all goes well have offered a caring hand in his rescue.
    Going to go to work now but will check again after i'm finished.
    My heart goes out to this pup .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Every county has a warden or a cruelty investigater, get on to your local county council/corporation and ask for the no. I know it's frustrating meeting brick wall after brick wall. If you can tell me which county your in I'll try to get some no.'s for you sneaking in sounds like the right thing to do and I would, but you give them the upper hand if your caught, but hears an old trick if your getting no were, if you have good neighbours that are concerned too then ask them will they confront them with you and call the guards just before you do and tell them there is this big argument going on at your neighbours you think their going to start fighting physical, when they arrive you will be arguing with the coward of a neighbour and you can then tell them you are concerned about the pups welfare as you couldn't get anyone to help, they will most likely ask to see the pup and if they think something is a miss then they should be able to help, it's most likely you'll get guards who will sympathise with you and try to help. You on the other hand will have done nothing wrong other than to confront them you can't get arrested for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

The main premises of the ISPCA is not in Dublin it is in Longford.

You should ring the national cruelty helpline - 1890 515 515

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You should ring the national cruelty helpline - 1890 515 515

I didn't know there was such a number, thanks.

Mairt wrote: »
    I didn't know there was such a number, thanks.

Apologies thought they were based in Dublin. I did ring the help line. It was them who suggested the Gardai. Am awaiting a call from the man - he said he'd speak to one of the inspectors and advise. I'm in Sligo. I will check county council website and see if any other options.

Neighbours on other side of him - must have heard the noise. If I can get hold of them later I'll ask them. Thanks for all replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Keep us updated, Silver33... hope they manage to get the poor pup out of there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I hope this tale has a happy ending. (no pun intended)

Let us know it goes OP. Lets not jump to conclusions until the authorities have done their bit.

Warden Pat McDaniels, Drumciiffe, 071 9163320

They warden has the right to remove dogs they are believed to be in danger and if it's a young dog it will go to the pound were other rescue's will take him.

Sspcs 071 9167737 Mobile 087 2166216

Hope this helps if I can find any more I'll post them.

Warden Pat McDaniels, Drumciiffe, 071 9163320

They warden has the right to remove dogs they are believed to be in danger and if it's a young dog it will go to the pound were other rescue's will take him.

Sspcs 071 9167737 Mobile 087 2166216

Hope this helps if I can find any more I'll post them.

Blackcat thanks for that. The Sspcs are not operational at the moment. There is a message on the mobile. It refers you to Helpline based in Longford. I've seen the Pound place in Drumcliffe. I've taken his number down and will ring later. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Good luck.
    If it happens again before you get the help, take your phone outside, ring the number and leave a voicemail of the sounds. then turn your phone onto record and record it for yourself.

He should be bloody prosecuted but whats the betting he'll be let off :mad:

Good luck keep us posted.

Update
    My next door Neighbour is home past half hour she said - no sound of dog.. not a thing..
    We think perhaps dog is gone.. Unlikely it is brought inside...
    I'll be home in a few hours and will know more then. Its possible he got rid of it due to the "hassle" it caused him. If he did I hope he brought it back to its original home and not disposed of him...

Silver33 wrote: »
    Update
    My next door Neighbour is home past half hour she said - no sound of dog.. not a thing..
    We think perhaps dog is gone.. Unlikely it is brought inside...
    I'll be home in a few hours and will know more then. Its possible he got rid of it due to the "hassle" it caused him. If he did I hope he brought it back to its original home and not disposed of him...

It's still worth trying to get some one to check the dog, has probably been queit because he's weak from no food and water not gone ?

It's still worth trying to get some one to check the dog, has probably been queit because he's weak from no food and water not gone ?

Neighbours son got over the wall and checked shed at about 5 - shed empty. Bowl outside shed. They not home yet - so maybe he took dog to work with him or something? Not sure what he does for a living. Will keep watching house for any update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Do let us know if there's any news. I hope the dog ran away!! At least then he'd have a chance at being picked up and rehomed no matter how slim a chance it would be. Its better than having the crap beaten out of him every day :(

Advertisement