Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headstart impressions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Baneblade wrote: »
    i did find the graphics slightly worse then wow, hoping its just to do with the beta client.

had a quick go on a dwarf as i did not have time to queue and i thought the part where you use the cannon was great fun. I like the small different things like that

I play with everything on max settings and I can tell you the graphics lose WoW's. There not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Personally I think the interface is awesome, much better than wow's.

Re server queues; There are pop caps on the server atm which are being increased daily. The queue also has to to do with the population inbalance. If there's loads of Destruction on but few Order, then prepare to wait in queue as a Destruction. Its to keep the rvr fair.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

i did find the graphics slightly worse then wow, hoping its just to do with the beta client.

had a quick go on a dwarf as i did not have time to queue and i thought the part where you use the cannon was great fun. I like the small different things like that

The graphics in WAR are light years ahead of those in wow.

Max settings @ 1650X1050 4Xfsaa,16xAF its an mmo of beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Two days into it, I managed to do one RvR scenario. Waiting times are huge even though the scenario doesn't run for that long. Admittedly I didn't have much of a clue what was going on, just tried to keep the people healed and capture the flags when I could. Turns out I was one of the top players there, so go figure. Naturally we lost :)

Today.. log in, patch, queue, go make some food, eat, grab a beer, queue almost done, check email, surf the web, queue done, log in, sign up for a rvr scenario, do a PQ, wait for PQ restart and surf the web.. go back into the client - the screen's black! I can move the mouse cursor and hear the sounds but I can't see anything.. wonderful.. kill the task, restart, another patch to be downloaded, log in, 2h queue!

That's pretty ****ty. This is a game for people with nerves of steel, endless time and nothing better to do with it. I'm off to do other things and I'll leave an auto-clicker running so it doesnt log me out after 2 hours.

I feel an uninstall coming soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Its not really the games fault it wasn't designed for your computer, is it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

This is a MMO they always have issues with release, client has bugs, servers have bugs, game has bugs, as releases go this is one of the smoothest.

If you can't handle how MMO's play just after release just wait a few months. Heck Europe didn't even get their own servers for WoW till 4 months after the US.

EDIT: Windowed mode gets rid of the black screen, use it as a temporary solution till they fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

i take back my comment about the graphics, changed the res and it looks alot nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Yea, windowed mode kills the black screen issue. Also if you're running full screen and it happens just alt tab a few more times and that usually fixes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

The lag!!!! ..... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

anyone done a scenario yet, was in a queue for it all last night and nothing

• Advertisement

I managed to get into a RvR scenario on the first day and never again. I usually queue up when I log in, and it never opens. Probably broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've been in a few. LAst night I was queing for a fair bit and was in the middle of a PQ when it said I could enter the scenario. I ended up not doing the scenario so that I could finish the PQ (and then ended up coming last out of 26 :( )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,488 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

netman wrote: »
    I managed to get into a RvR scenario on the first day and never again. I usually queue up when I log in, and it never opens. Probably broken.

There seems to have been a glitch introduced yesterday which has broken the scenario queues.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I spent 2 hours last night in scenarios.
    One ended and almost instantly i joined another.
    Infact i played that many scenarios i levelled from lvl 9 - lvl 11 purely by taking the repeatable scenario quest and handing it in each time before joining again.
    I normally hate pvp in mmos but man rvr is so much fun in WAR.
    Got a nice helm drop for my sorceress in there too lastnight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

yeah loot from pvp has tyo be one of the best parts of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

netman wrote: »
    I feel an uninstall coming soon

Youve made lots of posts like this. I havent experience any of the issues that you have. Its obvious a problem on your computers side of things.

Tusky wrote: »
    Youve made lots of posts like this. I havent experience any of the issues that you have. Its obvious a problem on your computers side of things.

I've made two comments about the instability of the client. That's not really lots, is it? :)

The first issue of the game crashing didn't happen after updating to the latest, unsigned, drivers. The second problem is plaguing everyone, there's plenty of evidence of it here and on other forums.

I just happen to alt-tab a lot, I like to use my computer for other things when I'm queueing for 2 hours, and there are plenty of times when I'm completely lost in the game and need to look something up etc. And it is extremely frustrating when you switch back to the game and find a black screen with just the mouse cursor and sound working, and no way to get back into it but to kill the client and restart it. Which of course puts you right at the back of the queue.

So far that's my biggest gripe with the game. I'm still trying it out but I'm far from being impressed by it like the most people here.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Regarding the alt-tab thing, I get that too - I have found alt-enter works so far, mind you only a few times. Maybe give that a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Maximilian wrote: »
    Regarding the alt-tab thing, I get that too - I have found alt-enter works so far, mind you only a few times. Maybe give that a go

I can alt tab fine. Textures look a REALLY bad for about 30 seconds then it sorts itself out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    I can alt tab fine. Textures look a REALLY bad for about 30 seconds then it sorts itself out.
    Thats the same thing that happens to me. In fairness, we cant really complain about this being a problem with the game. You aren't really supposed to alt-tab while in game, as it screws with the textures and whatnot. It can be annoying not to be able to do it, but its really not that essential. Just do the full screen window if you really want to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I've got into the habit of windowed mode from eve and a few other games, wouldn't/couldn't go back to full screen, have had only one game crash (plus a few connection crashes) since i've been playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Yea windowed mode is the way forward, quicker alt tabbing and less problems.. if at the cost of a couple of fps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Game feels really silent. No world chat going on. People in parties very quiet. Even scenarios are really boring.

Tbh, i miss the good ole days of AV joking about the chinese bot hidden in a bush. Even the "F**K YOU NOOBS!! THIS BATTLE GROUP SUCKS!! DIAF!!" from the angry kid.

The spell system needs work. I think the timing is off on most spells or the UI is bugged. You notice it alot on melee who need to keep a snare on.

Advertisement