Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eggs

Options
  • 16-09-2008 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Was just wondering how many eggs is too much? Trying to add them to my diet for protein so currently having 3 in the morning and 2 in the evening (either poached or scrambled) every second day so that’s about 20 a week. I am a healthy 21 year old male so should I be worrying about the cholesterol side affects?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

djruane wrote: »
    Was just wondering how many eggs is too much? Trying to add them to my diet for protein so currently having 3 in the morning and 2 in the evening (either poached or scrambled) every second day so that’s about 20 a week. I am a healthy 21 year old male so should I be worrying about the cholesterol side affects?

OP, the only way to be sure regarding cholesterol levels is to have a lipid workup done by your GP / Nurse ... Regarding 20 eggs a week, probably a bit extreme? Personally i believe one egg a day is fine but i try to look elsewhere for protein after that ... Eggs are great but their protein content is probably over rated - average 6 g protein per egg .. 100G pf porridge / good oatmeal has 11 - 12g ... Beans / Pulses are also good ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The latest research on cholesterol seems to show that three whole eggs a day is your best weapon in the fight against cholesterol. It raises HDL levels without affecting LDL, so your risk of heart disease is lowered.

I'm too lazy to look for a link but you can google it if you like. Anyway, the short version is that you can eat eggs until you are sick of them without worrying they will clog your arteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Thank you so much.

Advertisement