Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 Series wiper sweep

Options
  • 16-09-2008 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

Do any 5 series owners have issues with the direction that their wiper sweep? I have noticed that they leave a large area uncleared on the drivers side, which is the opposite to most other cars on the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I remember the day I went to England to pick up mine, it was the first thing I noticed and thought "Sh1t, it's a LHD conversion". It was something I just hadn't noticed before.

Doesn't bother me though as the right hand wiper is on a reach mechanism and doesn't leave that much unswept.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wipper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Wipper :D

Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I remember the day I went to England to pick up mine, it was the first thing I noticed and thought "Sh1t, it's a LHD conversion". It was something I just hadn't noticed before.

Doesn't bother me though as the right hand wiper is on a reach mechanism and doesn't leave that much unswept.

I thought it was LHD converion too, but all 5s have it. Its weird cause all other modern BMWs have wipers on the 'correct' side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Illustrates the grip the accountants have on car manufacturers these days....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have noticed this as well, it is dissappointing, and despite what BMW affictionados may say does detract from an otherwise wonderful car.

Most french cars are like this, but considering Ford, VW* and Toyota have no problem having their wipers park the right way, it is a pity BMW can't manage it.

<anorak>
    *Some early MKII Golfs have wipers the wrong way
    </anorak>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

maidhc wrote: »
    I have noticed this as well, it is dissappointing, and despite what BMW affictionados may say does detract from an otherwise wonderful car.

Most french cars are like this, but considering Ford, VW* and Toyota have no problem having their wipers park the right way, it is a pity BMW can't manage it.

<anorak>
    *Some early MKII Golfs have wipers the wrong way
    </anorak>

well Toyota are a Japanese make so its no change for them for us LHDs.

enda1 wrote: »
    well Toyota are a Japanese make so its no change for them for us LHDs.

Pretty much all their cars sold in Ireland are European models though, e.g. the Avensis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

i have an e39 and the wipers wipe the whole screen from what i can see and also when you use the windscreen wash the water doesnt come in through the drivers door window, i prefer it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I have a 5 too, and it doesn't bother me. Only the price of having to replace the things.

• Advertisement

joeperry wrote: »
    i have an e39 and the wipers wipe the whole screen from what i can see and also when you use the windscreen wash the water doesnt come in through the drivers door window, i prefer it that way.

No doubt it is something that can be lived with, but that shouldn't be the point.

It is a sort of a botch solution that is normally only seen on french cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Peugeot 206 had the wipers like this too - as well as offset pedals! It would irritate the hell out of me personally!

Actually, now that I think of it, I rented a Ford Focus in Italy recently (very nice car to drive), and I noticed that Ford too take minor shortcuts when converting over to RHD, e.g. the handbrake on an Irish Focus (and VW Golfs too) is offset to the passenger side seat, a very minor detail, but still...

Advertisement