Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I crazy?

Options
  • 16-09-2008 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

I am going to do a Charity Cycle on October 4th. Dublin to Arklow and back = roughly 100km. 50 km each way with a break in the middle.

I have no experience and cannot train for the event until roughly the weekend before the event.

I bought an entry level road bike last week and have clocked up only two 10km spins up to now. That was all the time i could afford on the bike.

Any tips on how to avoid death greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I jumped from one or two 35km spins to 170km on The Ring Of Kerry.

It's helpful to find a speed that you are comfortable at and that you can maintain a good rhythm at.

Take lots of breaks, have water and snacks along the way. Take your time and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Yeah penexpers is spot on alright, as well as what he's said I also reckon that it depends on how willing you are to suffer, its the nature of the sport and as long as you're prepared to dig in and get over the hill, and the next etc etc, then you'll be fine, but it'll be a long day and you should def try get out for as much training as possible at least up to half the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Buy a pair of padded shorts, you'll be glad you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It's doable, but I imagine that you will feel pretty smashed for the last 30km if you have not done that kind of distance before.
    Eat plenty of food to keep your energy levels up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Padded cycling shorts will help protect your undercarriage. A bottle cage and water bottle will be a good idea too. And, if you want to pace yourself, consider using a cycle computer.
    gaffmaster wrote: »
    I am going to do a Charity Cycle on October 4th. Dublin to Arklow and back = roughly 100km. 50 km each way with a break in the middle.

I have no experience and cannot train for the event until roughly the weekend before the event.

I bought an entry level road bike last week and have clocked up only two 10km spins up to now. That was all the time i could afford on the bike.

Any tips on how to avoid death greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Am I crazy?

Yes you are -but it helps :)

You'll be fine.... as others have said, padded shorts, plenty of breaks and a bit of grit and determination will see you through

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Padded cycling shorts will help protect your undercarriage. A bottle cage and water bottle will be a good idea too. And, if you want to pace yourself, consider using a cycle computer.

You know what: if it's at all possible, get two bottle cages and bottles. Drink a good glass (i.e 400-500mls) before you leave and keep drinking smaller amounts at regular intervals (i.e. every 10 miles) whether you think you need it or not. (Obviously listen to you body a bit too: if you really don't feel like more water then you're probably near fully-hydrated.) Try and get a cereal bar, or banana or fig roll or whatever in every 20 miles or so. (Indeed get a decent feed in before you go. This doesn't mean carbo-loading with pasta although that'll do you no harm. Just a good breakfast or whatever meal is appropriate to the start time.)

You don't mention how fit you are generally: if you've been doing other stuff like running or swimming then you'll have a basic core of stamina which will certainly let you cover 100k. If not, then take it handy from the start: there's no shame in averaging somewhere between 10 and 15mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I am going to do a Charity Cycle on October 4th. Dublin to Arklow and back = roughly 100km. 50 km each way with a break in the middle..
    Can I ask what the event is. sounds like a nice little spin, especially for someone like me who wouldn't be too confident going on a similar spin with more experienced / faster riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Thank you all for your replies. Some sound advice there. I'll load up on snacks and water. Most of the others will be fitter than me, but riding hybrids, so hopefully i'll keep up.

As some of you were asking, I am probably the unfittest I have ever been, but I should manage this, even if I fall over the finish line.

Clown Bag - I'll PM you about the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Thank you all for your replies. Some sound advice there. I'll load up on snacks and water. Most of the others will be fitter than me, but riding hybrids, so hopefully i'll keep up.

As some of you were asking, I am probably the unfittest I have ever been, but I should manage this, even if I fall over the finish line.

Clown Bag - I'll PM you about the event.

On the bike, bring a sports drink instead of water. There isn't enough "goodness" in water to replace used carbs and salts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

I find speed works for me, lasts much longer than coke and e's will have you hugging everyone on the road!:D

+1 on the padded shorts. get the best you can afford and some chamoix cream too. your spuds will thank you.

Well folks,

My "initiation" is tomorrow! Or so I'm calling it.

I have the shorts. And some chamois cream. I got out for 3 x 25km spins last weekend. they were fine. I'm averaging around 24kmph on them and will probably go even slower at the event tomorrow.

I'm disappointed I didn't have more time to train. But hey, lets see how we get on tomorrow. I'm hoping for little or no rain!

Will report back.

Cheers for all the tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Take it easy and have plenty of drinks and food along the way. Your good food will include bananas or carby stuff. I wouldn't leave it longer than every 20k to have something to eat on a journey like that. Also, expect to drink 2 or 3 litres of water to replace the sweat!

Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Go retro. Drink wine.

(Good luck!)

coppi_and_bartali,tour,sharing%20drinks%20(lsc).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Might see ya along the way during my club spin.
    Depending on what time you are setting out at, ( i'm off in half an hour)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

saw a lot of the charity cyclists struggling up the hill in the headwind on the Rathnew bypass as we were coming back in the opposite direction.

You guys really should have went through Wicklow Town and taken the Coast road, would have been a bit more sheltered.

But in any case, fair play to all who took part, it wasn't a great start to the day for it, and it was for a worthy cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Well folks,

My "initiation" is tomorrow! Or so I'm calling it.

I have the shorts. And some chamois cream. I got out for 3 x 25km spins last weekend. they were fine. I'm averaging around 24kmph on them and will probably go even slower at the event tomorrow.

I'm disappointed I didn't have more time to train. But hey, lets see how we get on tomorrow. I'm hoping for little or no rain!

Will report back.

Cheers for all the tips.

You'll be fine !!! Most impt thing is you enjoy it !

Ps - LOL at bidons of wine....

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Very enjoyable day out, even considering the conditions. In fairness the lads, (with the exception of myself) were basically complete novices. Plenty of breaks on the way and an overall average of around 20kph (not shabby with 55k into a strong headwind).

PS, we did not do Arklow and back, we did this, much more eh interesting...This

It was great craic!

Thanks to Andy P for setting the route, advising me on my gearing, and generally waiting for everyone to catch up every few km.

Will definitely try to keep this up/get better at it!

Advertisement