Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on Buying New From NI or UK

Options
  • 16-09-2008 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a new Audi A3 and decided to have a look at the UK spec. It seems I can get the S-Line trim that has everything I want
    (compared to adding loads of options on the Irish spec) so I've been thinking about buying up north.

Obviously I'll have to register and pay VRT, but apart from that, is there anything I should be aware of?
    Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good idea?

Unless they charge me an astronomical amount on VRT, it looks like I'd save a few thousand euro.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I'm not being smart but have you checked out the following thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176389

It should have, or point you to, all you need to know, including VRT rates etc...

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd start by reading everything in the stickies, looking at a few cars, and checking them with the VRT calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

It works out much more expensive to buy a new car in NI and duty pay it into ROI.

Nobody does it for a good reason.
    I don't have the figures to hand but i know it's a non runner having workeed in dealerships on both sides of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

ibh wrote: »
    It works out much more expensive to buy a new car in NI and duty pay it into ROI.

No it doesn't. Assuming you get a decent discount it'll usually costs way less given the current weakness of sterling. Provided they will sell to you that is - BMW seem to have stopped supplying 'over the border' cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

No it doesn't. Assuming you get a decent discount it'll usually costs way less given the current weakness of sterling. Provided they will sell to you that is - BMW seem to have stopped supplying 'over the border' cars.

New Cars..
    Hard to believe as you likely would end up paying VAT (or at least some element of it incorporated in the price) in the UK, VAT @ 21% here plus VRT..

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    New Cars..
    Hard to believe as you likely would end up paying VAT (or at least some element of it incorporated in the price) in the UK, VAT @ 21% here plus VRT..

You should pay no VAT in the UK. From an earlier post
    Approx figures:

Invoice price from NI dealer: £29708
    VAT exclusive price: £25283
    Converted to Euro at today's rate (including commission using XE's transfer service): €32160
    Plus Irish VAT: €38900
    VRT (16% of 92% of Irish list price): €7970
    Total: €46900.

Irish List price: €54134
    Plus delivery: €55000 approx.

€8000 difference - say €7000 with a discount on the Irish price.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

You should pay no VAT in the UK. From an earlier post
    Approx figures:

Invoice price from NI dealer: £29708
    VAT exclusive price: £25283
    Converted to Euro at today's rate (including commission using XE's transfer service): €32160
    Plus Irish VAT: €38900
    VRT (16% of 92% of Irish list price): €7970
    Total: €46900.

Irish List price: €54134
    Plus delivery: €55000 approx.

€8000 difference - say €7000 with a discount on the Irish price.

I know you said approximate figures. You need to be very careful on VAT element. Revenue will charge VAT on the Irish OMSP not the net price you paid abroad.

If I buy a TV or any other item (apart from cars) within the EU and it is shipped without the VAT, I then pay VAT on the original invoice price, not some over inflated OMSP.

Best option is to buy a 6month old + 6,000 miles covered, then you pay the UK VAT and only have to pay VRT.

Use this site for Audi approved used cars

Use BT34 1AB as your post code, its a Newry post code, handy from Dublin

Here is pretty smart Audi I found in Portadown

Also look at this page on revenue site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 festizio

Wow. Thanks to all who have posted here. Some really useful and helpful advice given.

Cheers.

Mylow wrote: »
    I know you said approximate figures. You need to be very careful on VAT element. Revenue will charge VAT on the Irish OMSP not the net price you paid abroad.

Incorrect I'm afraid. You will pay VAT on the actual price you paid abroad. OMSP is only used for VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Incorrect I'm afraid. You will pay VAT on the actual price you paid abroad. OMSP is only used for VRT.

I stand corrected, though Santry office told me VAT was calculated on the OMSP which I did think was a bit out of order. Said other wise people would be getting invoices with a 'discount'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement