Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Donegal reg - why all the yellow plates?

Options
  • 16-09-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Here in Waterford, it's about as far from Donegal as one can get. Nonetheless, you still see the odd Donegal car from time to time.

Curious thing is, almost every DL reg car that I see, has a yellow rear plate.

Why? (proud unionists?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Boy racers seem to think it looks good.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

egan007 wrote: »
    Boy racers seem to think it looks good.....

That's the reason?! But, why only in Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Not sure, there is someone in Donegal who sell loads of Civics to boy racers, it in auto trader every week, they all look practically the same and most of them have the yellow reg., which is illegal but i'm guessing its because Donegal is at the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Usualy see it around Monaghan and other places near the border, the boy racers do think it looks cool all right. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ithink its in the hope the guards will glance and assume its a northern reg car and not chase them down and do them for whatever its actually common enough on non boy racer cars although a lot less prevalent since the nct came in (you have to swap the plates to pass the nct)
    IMO though they should nick em for illegal number plates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

it matches their Union Jack socks:)

i think its to make the car look foreign (as in from the uk) in the hope the gardai will ignore it

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

From people I know who used to run such plates, my understanding is that, (and you have to understand this is going back many, many years long before the 1987 etc. regs came in), southern cars entering Northern Ireland didn't want to attract any attention to themselves. Remember things weren't always so rosy.

It's nothing to do with boy racers - or at least it certainly wasn't when it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What year are the cars?

Now this is something I heard from a boy racer so I don't know how true it is so don't nail me over it.

Do cars prior to 1990 (or around then) have to have the standard reg plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

From my own experience, the cars I knew of were Dublin registered - and this was back in the 1970s.

I'm not sure about the reg plate rule - didn't the current blue eu bit come in 1991? So yeh, I'd say that pre-91 you are allowed to run the old plates - unless they changed the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Speaking as a border inhibitant it used to be done by people in ROI border counties so as to not draw attention to their cars when in the north. Completely pointless after 1987 when the new reg format came in. Done now solely by Donegal boy racers to look cool :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Ye pre 1990 you can use the older size plates if you want, they still need to be the right size but i'm not sure about the colour.

I've seen tthe plates on a few 98 and 01 Civics so obviously they don't go under that bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

MOG7 wrote: »
    Ye pre 1990 you can use the older size plates if you want, they still need to be the right size but i'm not sure about the colour.

I've seen tthe plates on a few 98 and 01 Civics so obviously they don't go under that bracket.

Yellow rear regs are illegal no matter what the year of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Viewpoint seems to be "it looks cool" - not my view though.

I'm not sure its actually possible to get legal plates in Donegal, I had a set from back home once and it was bold font, no dashes - although on white with eurobands. Didn't have them cause I thought they looked cool but because I needed a replacement plate there and then, but just never got around to replacing them till the NCT.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

benifa wrote: »
    That's the reason?! But, why only in Donegal?
    They like the duality of espousing republican views whilst pretending their Twin Cam is registered in the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Theres a lot of CN reg cars/jeeps/SUVs on yellow plates as well.

([offtopic mini-rant]God I hate SUV's and the women who drive them! :rolleyes: [/offtopic mini-rant])

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Here in Waterford, it's about as far from Donegal as one can get.

Geography wasn't your strongest subject in school I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The yellow plates look stupid enough but what really takes the biscuit is when they arrange them as such: 05D L567 Talk about drawing attention to yourself! :rolleyes:

FX Meister wrote: »
    LOL :D

Alright smart arse. Donegal North-West, Waterford South-East. Exact distance is hardly relevant for the subject being discussed is it? Idiot. :rolleyes:

Alright smart arse. Donegal North-West, Waterford South-East. Exact distance is hardly relevant for the subject being discussed is it? Idiot. :rolleyes:

REPORTED>

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cool it benifa. That's a warning

• Advertisement

REPORTED>

YOU report ME?! lol :rolleyes:
    unkel wrote: »
    Cool it benifa. That's a warning

Me cool it? I'm not the one coming on making smart comments that are totally off-topic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

I always wondered about this as well, and after hearing stories of Bus Eireann switching buses before entering the north, I kind of realised why they might want to be on the yellow plates up in the north of the country.

People are very racist up north and it's not just something to do with religion, Union Jacks or proudness (what's to be proud of to be honest?)

So, either this, or it's a Boy Racer thing :P

P.S

FX Meister, learn the term "figure of speech"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

People are very racist up north and it's not just something to do with religion, Union Jacks or proudness (what's to be proud of to be honest?)

funny, cause people down south over-generalise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

benifa, you got warned for insulting another member, now it's "official", red card and all
    (hint: stop arguing and escalating the issue now)

fx meister:
    benifa's geography is spot on, leave it alone

Any more reported posts out of either of you on this non-issue and the reporter takes a holiday

Ignore him. There's always one.

Back on topic.. It's funny, it seems it's not only Donegal registered cars that seem go for yellow plates. By chance, I just spotted today a "boy racerish" Subaru that was 99 D xxx with a plain yellow rear plate, and bold black lettering.

I always thought it meant the driver wanted to be part of the north and not the south. Hence the colour of their reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

There is an old Mazda 323 near me that has yellow plates on the back (it's an old 'SI' Dublin reg.)

I always wondered about this as well, and after hearing stories of Bus Eireann switching buses before entering the north, I kind of realised why they might want to be on the yellow plates up in the north of the country.

So, either this, or it's a Boy Racer thing :P

P.S

1993 called, it wants you back...

For social and other reasons I spend HUGE amounts of time in Northern Ireland, often in DUP stronghold, 70%+ Unionist areas. Southern accent, KE or D reg car. Never had a single problem. If I was running around streaming a Tricolour behind me, there might be issues - but thats about it.

The yellow plates is SOLELY a boy racer thing.

MYOB wrote: »
    1993 called, it wants you back...

For social and other reasons I spend HUGE amounts of time in Northern Ireland, often in DUP stronghold, 70%+ Unionist areas. Southern accent, KE or D reg car. Never had a single problem. If I was running around streaming a Tricolour behind me, there might be issues - but thats about it.

The yellow plates is SOLELY a boy racer thing.
    Friends of mine spent a lot of time in unionist areas too. They always put their cars into the garage and drove around in northy reg cars.

• Advertisement

Friends of mine spent a lot of time in unionist areas too. They always put their cars into the garage and drove around in northy reg cars.

I have one car, I don't have access to garages to store it in or other cars. Its also (currently) a very new and relatively rare model (albeit not rare like other boardsies would have!) - and I feel less safe parking it in Inchicore than I do in Ballymena.

Believing that Northern Ireland is some scary place where Southerners are shot on sight demonstrates a closed-minded attitude and a willingness to live in the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement