Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Donegal reg - why all the yellow plates?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

I stopped in ballymena last year with an irish plate to ask for directions and lets say iwas told to ''find my own way'' in more colourfull langage so seeing an open road in front of me i told him to ''put his directions in his rectum'' in more colourfull terminology,

i am in no way sectarian, racist or whatever i couldnt care less about the north/south dilemma i only wanted to get to Eddie Torrens scrap yard(he didnt particularly like the irish plate either)

theses sort of attitudes still exist in the north and drivers need to be carefull in some areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

In 2002 myself and friends got attacked by a gang of smelly catholics in Belfast. Luckily our prody mates came to the rescue. Believing that everyone up there holds hands now is naive and ignorant. What's your rare car? I wouldn't park anything in Inchicore, but then I'm a Northsider and only have my own view of how rough the southside can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

fx meister ...stop baiting and trying to get a rise out of people

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm from Donegal and can confirm that the yellow number plates are only used by the boy racers.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

FX Meister wrote: »
    In 2002 myself and friends got attacked by a gang of smelly catholics in Belfast. Luckily our prody mates came to the rescue. Believing that everyone up there holds hands now is naive and ignorant. What's your rare car? I wouldn't park anything in Inchicore, but then I'm a Northsider and only have my own view of how rough the southside can be.

THIS IS THE SORT OF ATTITUDE THAT CAUSES ALL THE PROBLEMS

• Advertisement

Yeah, but you get bigots on both sides. It's just bred into them I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Believing that everyone in the South holds hands - ever - is naive. NI has much the same share of problems as we have.

stretchaq - I've had someone in Cork City refuse to give me directions for being a 'Jackeen ****' before (I'm not - I just have a D reg car). Don't see how that has much to do with it being NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

because donegal is the middle of know where and the people there have to go to the big city sometimes (Dublin) why they would go all the way to waterford i dont know.

Overature wrote: »
    because donegal is the middle of know where and the people there have to go to the big city sometimes (Dublin) why they would go all the way to waterford i dont know.

To put their football team out of the Eircom Premier League... was the last reason I went to Waterford for anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

In the 80's and 90's there was a shortage of performance cars available second hand in the republic, the likes of 205 GTI's, Nova Gsi's and Twin cams. As a result most car enthusiasts imported cars from the north or the uk, especially in border areas. Many peole liked the look of yellow rear plates and kept them. This started the trend.

There is a bigger car modification culture and motorsport culture in the north than down south and this is another reason people got yellow plates to be associated with the northern scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

MYOB wrote: »
    I have one car, I don't have access to garages to store it in or other cars. Its also (currently) a very new and relatively rare model (albeit not rare like other boardsies would have!) - and I feel less safe parking it in Inchicore than I do in Ballymena.

Believing that Northern Ireland is some scary place where Southerners are shot on sight demonstrates a closed-minded attitude and a willingness to live in the past.
    would you park your southern reg car in portadown, larne or the shankhill road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

benifa wrote: »
    Here in Waterford, it's about as far from Donegal as one can get. Nonetheless, you still see the odd Donegal car from time to time.

Curious thing is, almost every DL reg car that I see, has a yellow rear plate.

Why? (proud unionists?)

Not sure if you're from Donegal or not?

If you ever go to Donegal you'll soon realise that not that many DL cars have yellow reg's there. It is generaly a few boyracers who have them. I'm not doubting what you've seen but it hasn't been my experience.

For those that do have them I don't think it's anything to do with being proud unionists.

A few reasons I can think of are:

1. They look different (to standard DL regs) and boyracers seem to like breaking from the norm.

2. In the hope that it'll confuse the cops or another motorist while they commit driving offences North/South of the border.

3. So they blend in better with other cars when they're up North for obvious reasons (which I don't think we need to go into here on this thread).

VH wrote: »

Done, done and I've parked it on Sandy Row. Also parked it in Banbridge on a Saturday night.

This is not the 1990s and you're showing the same attitude as the other people who've likely not been in the North for years.

MYOB wrote: »
    Done, done and I've parked it on Sandy Row. Also parked it in Banbridge on a Saturday night.

This is not the 1990s and you're showing the same attitude as the other people who've likely not been in the North for years.
    i think youre a wee bit naive - a relation of mine lived in bangor co down a few years ago and his car was targetted by people claiming to be the uvf - car was broken into a note saying "get out - the uvf" left on the driver seat - ironically he had moved over from london and the car was english reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i think youre a wee bit naive - a relation of mine lived in bangor co down a few years ago and his car was targetted by people claiming to be the uvf - car was broken into a note saying "get out - the uvf" left on the driver seat - ironically he had moved over from london and the car was english reg.
    In that situation, it would appear that it had nothing to do with the registration.

I've been driving around NI for 20 years with ROI registered vehicles and never had any hassle from anyone. Even when the British army used to carry out searches/checks at the border, they were always very courteous to me.

Few years ago, and "targetted". First one is part of the problem - this is not the past. Second one suggests its an abnormal situation. Also, a British reg car != a southern reg car!

There's no naivety here - I have never had a problem in Northern Ireland, nor has anyone I know first hand had one. All that has been said here so far is third-hand information, or from some time ago, or both.

Aaaaanyway, to get back to the original point of this - there is absolutely no chance that having a yellow rear reg plate is to make the car less obvious in the North. Being a Donegal boy racer at heart (having managed to contain the urge to add Wolfrace mods to my car, etc...) - its solely for looks.

In that situation, it would appear that it had nothing to do with the registration.
    no, but all to do with being from the south

there was a auld lad on the telly the other evening from NI - asked how he would describe his Britishness he answered "being anti-Irish"

it might be all quiet up there now, but the biggots havent gone away you know:)

And yet both of the Paisley's consider themselves "Irish but British"*...

The bigots haven't gone away, but they aren't torching every white-plated car either. People having an attitude that times haven't changed really isn't helping things either. Maybe you should actually go up there and see for yourself rather than relying on third parties and outdated info? Its only an hour on the M1.

*Ian has publicly refused to say he's not Irish and Eileen has made reference to 'seeing our beautiful island', theres been other statements too...

I go to NI regularly - maybe once a month. I am careful about where i go and will continue to do so. I'm not worried about the Paisleys but rather scumbags who dress it up as loyalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I'm shocked at the level of ignorance in here - quite a number of the people in here appear never/rarely to have visited the North, but would feel that their cars have a good chance of being vandalised purely based on their numberplate. I'm sure it has happened at some point but get some perspective!

on topic...

Yellow numberplates look daft IMO, plus they'll have to be changed for the NCT so what's the point. Still, it wouldn't bother me a whole lot. A lot of young lads in border towns have addresses on both sides of the border anyway, so sometimes they manage to avoid VRT altogether it seems.

• Advertisement

Shankhill Road is fine dude. I know first hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

benifa wrote: »
    Alright smart arse. Donegal North-West, Waterford South-East. Exact distance is hardly relevant for the subject being discussed is it? Idiot. :rolleyes:

I went to France last week, and by jaysus I could have sworn I was further from Donegal than Waterford is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

a gang of smelly catholics in Belfast

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

6ix wrote: »
    I'm shocked at the level of ignorance in here - quite a number of the people in here appear never/rarely to have visited the North, but would feel that their cars have a good chance of being vandalised purely based on their numberplate. I'm sure it has happened at some point but get some perspective!

Exactly. I grew up in both Belfast and along the border and can never get over the level of ignorance in the south about life in the North. I spend a lot of time in the North in my southern reg car and no hassle. Its like anywhere you avoid parking in the ****ty areas because of the scumbags be they nationalist or loyalist.

Take a trip up and embrace your Nordie brothers...we're not all bad!

Question has been answered by myself and others so time to close this thread I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

lightening wrote: »
    FX Meister wrote:
    a gang of smelly catholics in Belfast
    FX Meister wrote:

:o

Sad really. He was apparently insulted by being called an idiot and spits his dummy out the pram, but he goes on to insult the entire Catholic population of Ireland! :eek:

Complete joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

furtzy wrote: »
    Exactly. I grew up in both Belfast and along the border and can never get over the level of ignorance in the south about life in the North. I spend a lot of time in the North in my southern reg car and no hassle. Its like anywhere you avoid parking in the ****ty areas because of the scumbags be they nationalist or loyalist.

Take a trip up and embrace your Nordie brothers...we're not all bad!

Question has been answered by myself and others so time to close this thread I think?

Yup, couldn't agree more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

closed before anyone finds the weapons dumps and this ends in a bloodbath

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement