Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Article on UK v's Irish prices for Nursery stuff

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

id well believe it. Having lived in UK for about 6 years i was shocked and horrified at the difference in price (including the convertion) not just for baby stuff, but in general. You may think, yes UK is cheaper but inferrior quality. Afraid not. Even the cheepest stores there (ASDA, MAtalan) their products are far superior to stuff you find in stores here.

It really is "rip-off Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

in the last few weeks i bought all our baby and nursery stuff in Newry and Banbridge and saved at least €700!!!

Mothercare in the Buttercrane Center in Newry
    Bumps N Basics near the City hall in Newry
    and Heuston Brothers in Banbridge (Platinum Stockists for Momas and Popas) MaP dont have northern stores.

Saved about 300 quid on the pram alone, got a feeding/rocking chair discounted from 300 puund to 99 pound on sale!!!!

Unbelieveable value, even did the shopping in Sainsburys on the way home and saved some more.

Its well worth the hour and a half drive from Dublin!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was in the UK for the last few days,I maybe a little bitter about how much cheaper stuff in general was:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Toys'r'us in the Sprucefield centre have a massive range of baby stuff. I bought a Silver Cross POP for £99, which works out at about €125. The same buggy is €150 in Mothercare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

But in Ireland, you pay a premium for the better quality of life we have here.

Better weather, better public services and a strong economy...

Uh... hold on a minute...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Blame higher VAT, higher base wages, increased transportation costs and the annoying habit of the Irish consumer to be very insensitive to price rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Can't access that link.

Planning of heading up north to get the bulk of the stuff for our first. Ordered the travel system in the republic but the rest of it will probably be got up north.

Advertisement