Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

m50 toll

Options
  • 16-09-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

a mate of mine recieved a letter from the toll people saying that his car went through the barrier or whatever its called, last thursday night at 10:31, it was a four page document promising a 3,000 euro fine etc, problem is he was at home in limerick at the time with his car securely parked, he contacted them, but the jist of the call seemed to be it would be easier for him to shell out and keep smileing, i wonder how many cars are out there with false plates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yep quite common way of avoiding the congestion charge in london apparantly people all over the country get bills i'd ring the guards and ask them what to do myself before shelling out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

old boy wrote: »
    a mate of mine recieved a letter from the toll people saying that his car went through the barrier or whatever its called, last thursday night at 10:31, it was a four page document promising a 3,000 euro fine etc, problem is he was at home in limerick at the time with his car securely parked, he contacted them, but the jist of the call seemed to be it would be easier for him to shell out and keep smileing, i wonder how many cars are out there with false plates

I reckon the technology isn't as accurate as we are led to believe. I'd contest that all the way, things like mucky plates, faded plates, etc, these factors must lead to the wrong vehicles being selected for billing. I imagine they have a system where if a plate can be automatically read, grand, but if it can't, then a screen shot is captured and sent to a human operator to try to make sense of the reg plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

They can provide still shots from the Video cameras - I'd be on to them to get the proof through for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've had to call to pay a toll 2 times, every time i've got through to an English Bloke...

Where's the call payment center, I'd hate to think i'm sending my hard earned cash across the pond that would just add insult to injury....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I also got a 4 page letter (what a waste of paper!!) saying I owed them for a trip through the toll. When I go to the website, it says I owe them €5.10, the price for a vehicle over 2t in weight. When I first found this out, I saw my van weight 2020KG on my reg docket, so I got it weighed again and it came at 1980KG, went to tax office, got new tax disc, new DOE cert and sent off the reg book to shannon and got a new one with the right weight. It's still showing up saying I owe €5.10!! I've done what I need to, I'm not paying €5.10. No judge is going to force me to pay a fine for not paying the wrong price. I hope :o

I'm not paying until it's the right price anyway so it should be interesting to see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

cormie wrote: »
    I also got a 4 page letter (what a waste of paper!!) saying I owed them for a trip through the toll. When I go to the website, it says I owe them €5.10, the price for a vehicle over 2t in weight. When I first found this out, I saw my van weight 2020KG on my reg docket, so I got it weighed again and it came at 1980KG, went to tax office, got new tax disc, new DOE cert and sent off the reg book to shannon and got a new one with the right weight. It's still showing up saying I owe €5.10!! I've done what I need to, I'm not paying €5.10. No judge is going to force me to pay a fine for not paying the wrong price. I hope :o

I'm not paying until it's the right price anyway so it should be interesting to see what happens.
    So you had the vehicle incorrectly registered, ammended this, neglected to tell them of said change and it's their fault you owe a couple of quid more than you think you should? Use a bit of initiative.

I didn't register the vehicle. I bought it that way, it was never a problem until now. 1980 compared to 2020 doesn't make a difference in any tax category or anything, seems to be just the M50.

Oh and I told them as soon as I changed it to 1980.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This is one of the great weaknesses of an ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) system, i.e. it is wide open for abuse. As in London, selling stolen plates is currently a big racket.

Those particularly vulnerable would be businesses that have cars for sale in large compounds and people that are foolish enough to display their registrations on picture advertisements. The culprits that steal these registration numbers and make knock off copies of the plates knowing that these cars are "off the road" and will not pe picked up as duplicates by the ANPR cameras for a period of time.

Anyone with a similar BMW 220 I 2 Door can copy this registration from this add knowing that It wont be reported by its owner in the foreseeable future. http://www.merlinmotorcity.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=1195417&message=Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=85428632&CFTOKEN=30931969

The Toll bridge computer system is a very intelligent system that will sound alarm bells if the same registration passes the toll in the same direction in over a short period of time particularly if it dose not make a return in the opposite direction. It can automatically warn the NRA of a possible duplicate registration and subsequently inform the Gardai.

The only way this toll bridge will become efficient and fool proof is to eventually get everyone in the country to accept the electronic E_tag. I see the current ANPR options as just temporary measure between the old cash system and the full blown EFT system. The NRA will keep on penalising Non E_tagged motorists for not complying with exorbitant surcharges until such time as everyone in the country will all submit to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've had to call to pay a toll 2 times, every time i've got through to an English Bloke...

Where's the call payment center, I'd hate to think i'm sending my hard earned cash across the pond that would just add insult to injury....

I read over on Commuting/Transport (I think it was) that the callcentre is indeed outsourced to beyond these shores

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Call centre was outsourced to northern ireland hence the reason all the toll workers got let go.....they had assumed they would be assigned to these duties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It was reported that the ANPR had difficulty with certain digit combinations such as 0 and 8. It could simply be a mis-read of the plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It was reported that the ANPR had difficulty with certain digit combinations such as 0 and 8. It could simply be a mis-read of the plate.

This problem has also got to do with plastic black mounting bolts "intentionally" positioned between the 0 and other numbers to confuse the system. One of the current mandates for the NCT is to scrutinise how number plates are mounted and fail subsequent offenders.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Back on topic, the OP needen't worry - the NRA have an independant appeals process in place chaired by...
    ...the NRA!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0829/1219875241810.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cormie wrote: »
    Fight the powah, Cormie! :D

You should pay what you think you owe, just to confuse their automated systems and possibly prevent escalation of charges while there is an amount outstanding.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

racso1975 wrote: »
    Call centre was outsourced to northern ireland hence the reason all the toll workers got let go.....they had assumed they would be assigned to these duties

If they weren't so rude then maybe they would have been kept on elsewhere.
    The M1 toll barriers operators are much more pleasant than those m50 monsters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I've gone through the toll 4 times in the last two weeks and I ain't been billed for any of the trips :)

Am registered for video recognition and nothing has appeared on my card or arrived at my door. I must ring them up and make sure I pay that toll :):):):):)

I don't get it, were on the brink of a recession, people are loosing there jobs every day and the government decides it would be best send jobs (400 of them) outside the state...
    Dublin might be an expensive place to locate staff but surley there's some county down the country that could have done with the jobs...
    It's disgracefull conduct and another reason why the 100,000 people who pass through the Toll today should refuse to pay, it's not like they can send the whole country to jail for not paying €3....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

I don't get it, were on the brink of a recession, people are loosing there jobs every day and the government decides it would be best send jobs (400 of them) outside the state...
    400? That can't be right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Dublin might be an expensive place to locate staff but surley there's some county down the country that could have done with the jobs...
    It's disgracefull conduct and another reason why the 100,000 people who pass through the Toll today should refuse to pay, it's not like they can send the whole country to jail for not paying €3....

Thats an idea that a lot of people have had but due to the general apathy of the Irish, we'll just continue to act like sheep and pay what we're told by our 'betters'.

I'd love to see everyone refusing to pay the toll though just to see how the powers that be would react, e.g., bring us all to court, close the M50.

fjon wrote: »
    400? That can't be right

That's what it said in the indo, 400 call center jobs, they have people working 24/7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

the jist of the call seemed to be it would be easier for him to shell out and keep smileing

OP - I hope your mate is not going to pay the toll? That is so ridiculous, suggesting to someone that even though they didn't use a service that they should pay for it.
    I know some people may look at it as it's only €3, it's easier to pay it than try and prove that it wasn't you that went through the toll but personally I would definitely not pay it.

A mate of mine was contacted by the gardai a couple of years back saying his car was reported as driving dangerously (overtaking 4 cars coming up to a sharp bend) - he asked when it was and as it happens he was out of the country at the time with his car parked up in the airport. He was able to get the footage from the carpark security showing his car going into and leaving the carpark. No chance your mate has a security camera on his drive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dublin might be an expensive place to locate staff but surley there's some county down the country that could have done with the jobs.....

Obviously there wasnt any interested company that was competitive enough to get it here. These thigns go to tender. If the government handed it to a more expensive company because they are Irish people would be whinging about the needless overpaying of staff.

If no one in this country felt it was viable enough to buy/build a big room and run as a call centre then it musnt be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im not saying you are lying but this is the first i heard of this. What source did you hear that from? links?

EDIT: i just read Sizzler's link so no need to respond :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/13568639?view=Eircomnet

Sizzler wrote: »

they let 120 Irish go and employes 400 English, i'm not been racist but that's plain stupid especially in the current climate....If the NRA were looking to save money they should have at least got us really cheap labour and value for money in China or India....
    All politicans shoud be lined up and shot in pairs to save bullets....there thiefs and nothing more....I think we should spare Liz O'Donnell just becuase she's hot....the rest can swing..

Ahw :( I just checked Eflows site again and put my reg in and it's coming up right now. Suppose I better pay :(

Was looking forward to a bit of good oul fashioned rebellion!

Although it's still letting me pay for an infinite amount of passages and has no definition of what I actually owe:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

we're having a parallel discussion on two threads here (can't merge them unfortunatly).

This one is now closed, please use the stickied one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement