Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat Kenny show - more music than before?

• 16-09-2008 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

I could be wrong but it feels to me like someone behind the glass has decided that Today with PK needs a regular, almost daily doses of live music. The programme has always featured some music but usually only once a week or during RTE designated "news lite" periods.

Am I imagining this, or has the arrival of Tom Dunnes easy listening mix prompted a 'lightening up' across town?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I don't neccesarily think it's down to Tom Dunne he has a long long way to go before ever hoping to get the figures of PK, but i agree that since he has come back the show is more 'lighter' in parts. Maybe it's the trend now in Irish broadcasting between 9-12 to go 'light'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

every song is ~3 mins of air time that doesn't need to be scripted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Maybe now that old age is creeping up on him, poor Pat needs to use the loo more often...hence, the more frequent songs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Mentioning Tom Dunne in the same breath as PK is well, frikken stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Mentioning Tom Dunne in the same breath as PK is well, frikken stupid.

You just have, right there. And now I have by quoting you.

I hope you're happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

As an aside - I think Pat Kenny has come back very refreshed after his long summer absence. His TV show on Friday was entertaining and he seemed laid back and got a few geniuinely funny quips in. I've had to stay at home today due to a nasty head cold and I've listened to a lot of his radio show and I think he is in his element. Glad to see it, to be honest. He came in for a lot of flak in the last couple of years and in a lot of cases it was justified as I think he was in danger of becoming a parody of himself.

Perhaps he had a look at the Soupy Norman show -- had a laugh at himself and just bounced back with a better attitude. All I can say is that from what I've seen so far this season he looks like he's off to a promising start ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

He has always been good on the radio. His Late Late show is a train wreck though. Consistent poor quality guests and a lack of empathy towards them make it very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Don't watch the LLS so won't comment, but on radio he has no equals.

Well informed,well briefed, no annoying accent mannerisms,speaks properly as opposed to "proper".

No wonder he is top of his profession, he ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Cole

Well informed,well briefed, no annoying accent mannerisms,speaks properly as opposed to "proper".

+1

Agreed very good on radio. Please take him off the telly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Kenny very good on radio and yet with 30 years of practice not quite as good on the LLS (though he was v good on Today Tonight), same could be said of other RTE personalities such a one G. Ryan but I'd rather see Pat present the LLS over Ryan any day.

Is there anyone (aside possibly from Tubridy!) who could handle presenting the LLS, which I'm sure is not an easy task given the range of topics. Or should the LLS be scrapped altogether? Answers by this Friday please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

+1 He is one of, if not the best radio presenters on Irish radio imo. I don't watch the LLS very often so I can't really comment, but the few times I have seen it in recent years I didn't think he was that bad, there's more of a problem with the standard of guests I would think.

Well if they cant get the guests then cancel the show. How did Byrne get the guests? The LLS seem to have pursued a policy of not going after big guests.

Apart from that though PK's interviewing style on TV is not good. Ask question, dont listen to answer, ask next question before guest is finished. There is no warmth or empathy in his style. He seems uninterested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The days when movie stars and world famous musicans came to Ireland to do a chat show are pretty much long gone - modern communications make a visit here largely cost-ineffective. After all if you want to watch Ben Stiller get his tummy tickled by a host then watch Jonathon Ross. Studios/record labels know Ireland is swamped by UK media so don't bother sending people.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

The quality of guests is not a valid point. Jonathan Ross has often had the same guests, even on the same night (JR show recorded Thursdays) and he worked those same guests very differently to PK and got better, more hilarious, more entertaining, results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

Jonathan Ross is just born to do light entertainment. He gets away with doing and saying things on that show that if someone like Pat Kenny tried the same stunts he'd be laughed outta town and not in the good way. He'd also have alot of sexual harrassment cases pending aswell! lol

He just cant do humour, empathy, lighthearted banter.......... i could go on. He just cant do anything that is needed on a light entertainment show. Now i know the Late Late isnt light entertainment, dear god do i know that, but when he has that type of guest on its just like pulling teeth. He brilliant at current affairs, thats what he should stick to.

Dara O Briain for the Late Late. The mans very intelligent, could easily do the heavy stuff and how good would he be with the light stuff.

Advertisement