Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Floor levels for timber floor, confused and frustrated

• 16-09-2008 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi all...
    Lad coming Monday next week to pour finished floors... We're having solid wood floors in two rooms but havent chosen a floor or installler yet...18-20mm thick.

Of places I've spoken to I've got the following advice;
    1. Leave all floors level and stick down the flooor... will be near level with adjsent tiled floors.
    2. Leave 1" step and fit floor onto plywood as will be less likely to warp and will finish level.
    3. Leave 2" step and put floor on 2*1 battens for authentic effect floor and it will finish level...

Unsure which option to choose...

I'm really happy with the structure to date and want to get the finish just right...

Advice/comments welcome :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I would go with 3, as it 'passes muster' for people with varicose veins who need a timber floor effect

An issue i have with 1 is that it seems not to provide for some form of vapour barrier.

Also leave plenty time for it to dry out 1mm a day is an often quoted number.
    HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Is the house plastered with door frames installed?
    I assume you don't have underfloor heating.

Its a matter of taste really.
    1 is fine if timber floor doesn't join tiled floor, otherwise use 2.
    3 is fine for solid timber floors if you like the noise! (batters with echo foot steps)
    :)I'd go for 2

Advertisement