Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epilator or mutilator?!?

Options
  • 16-09-2008 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Ok I know there's been many's a thread about Epilators here but I just had to tell someone! I just bought one yesterday and took it out to have a look and read the instructions etc. The manual says there are two settings optimal and soft. So I turned it on and got the fright of my life - I thought the slower speed was the faster one til I turned it to the next notch! It certainly does NOT look soft! I'm terrified to use it now, I've been sitting here the last 20 minutes trying to pluck up the courage to put it to my skin but every time it gets near me I pull away. It's like there's some mechanism in my brain which won't allow me to inflict the pain on myself. I have to use it at some stage now because I spent the money and it obviously can't be returned (that would be gross!) I'm not usually a baby about this kind of thing but I've just hit a wall here! I'm going on holiday tomorrow and wanted hassle free legs for a week but I'm considering just shaving as it would be easier! I'm such a woose! The idea of 40 tweezers at once is giving me nightmares lol! Are you supposed to turn it on before you put it to your skin or make contact with the skin then turn it on?

Help/encouragement/support would be welcomed :)

P.S. I have a spellchecker on and it doesn't recognise the word epilator but it gives me mutilator in the options - Freudian slip I presume!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Suck it up and go for it.

Pull the skin taut so it'll hurt less.

It is uncomfortable but I found the noise is more off putting than the actual pain.

I would have it on before I put it to the skin personally but its up to yourself.

You'll have silky smooth legs for the holiday-it'll be worth it.

No pain no gain;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Its like everything-you get used to it. Did you get a freezer pack with it? If not get some frozen peas or something to numb one of you least sensitive areas, maybe lower legs or something and start that way. When it gets bad stop and start again a few seconds later, it gets much easier. I have one and it hardly notice it now when i use it but its tough at first

LolaDub wrote: »
    Its like everything-you get used to it. Did you get a freezer pack with it? If not get some frozen peas or something to numb one of you least sensitive areas, maybe lower legs or something and start that way. When it gets bad stop and start again a few seconds later, it gets much easier. I have one and it hardly notice it now when i use it but its tough at first

Deffo. you do get used to the pain. And the newer models are WAY better! you could also try taking a few nurofen a half hour beforehand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

As manuka said the results are well worth it, lasts longer than imaac and is less messy and less time, not as painful as waxing and doesn't leave the stubble like shaving.

I got one recently, it is brilliant!
    Pop the nurofen, use the shaver to trim the hair to the best length for eplilating....the longer it is the more it more it hurts. And hold the skin taut when you run the machine over so that you don't accidentally pinch yourself.

A shower before hand to open the pore might also be a good idea, and it is likely to leave your legs very red for a hours if not not days after. So get a move on!

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Great for the legs, just wouldn't have the guts to do underarms/bikini with it!! I got this thing that clips onto it, you leave it in the freezer and then clip it onto your epilator, and its glides behind were uv just epilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Finner

Ok I'm ashamed to say I chickened out and shaved instead! I was taking too long to pluck up the courage and I still haven't packed or anything for the holiday! I realised my leg hair was not really long enough to use it on but a bit prickly thought it best not to use it for the first time on the more sensitive areas so I basically chickened out!!! I'm sorry! I will use it when I get back though because it was expensive enough and I don't want to have wasted the money! I think I just need to prepare myself a bit more for the idea - lol! Thanks for all the support I'll get there eventually! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Whats this then, some kind of vibrator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

A vibrator that gets rid of leg hair? Hmmm, Patent pending!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I don't pretend to understand women, maybe its one of those multitasking things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I got one recently, it is brilliant!
    Pop the nurofen, use the shaver to trim the hair to the best length for eplilating....the longer it is the more it more it hurts. And hold the skin taut when you run the machine over so that you don't accidentally pinch yourself.

A shower before hand to open the pore might also be a good idea, and it is likely to leave your legs very red for a hours if not not days after. So get a move on!

Good luck!

i'm no doctor but i dont think this is a wise use of a pretty powerful pharmaceutical. you know your own body i'm sure but this is definitly not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilator

It's a device that plucks out hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

[quote=Fin
    ner;57272436]Ok I'm ashamed to say I chickened out and shaved instead! I was taking too long to pluck up the courage and I still haven't packed or anything for the holiday! I realised my leg hair was not really long enough to use it on but a bit prickly thought it best not to use it for the first time on the more sensitive areas so I basically chickened out!!! I'm sorry! I will use it when I get back though because it was expensive enough and I don't want to have wasted the money! I think I just need to prepare myself a bit more for the idea - lol! Thanks for all the support I'll get there eventually! :)[/quote]

First time you use it should be mid-cycle as your pain threshold is at its highest then, might make things easier to get used to...

WindSock wrote: »

could happen yet, a vibrating hair straighteners has just been launched....it smooths the shaft of the hair cuticle apparently....OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooH....

I'd care if I had enough hair to use a straighteners, and didn't have poker straight hair anyway I'm sure:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

WindSock wrote: »
    I want one!

To the op, (when you get back from hols). The pain does get easier the more you use it, and your skin actually goes a bit numb as well once youve gone over it once. That mention of the time in your cycle is valid! Ive noticed a bit difference in my pain threshold at different times of the month.

To get used to it, I recommend short strokes on taut skin. Youll find you can leave it against the skin longer the more you get used to it. And go for the high setting, otherwise you end up going back over the same area more times. Its no worse, really, on high, once youve mastered the sensation.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The noise of the epilator is pretty scary at first and it does hurt a lot first time but after that it's grand! I'm at the stage where I actually like it for some reason!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

The noise is definitely the most off-putting part! It's fine once you give it a go. I got an ice pack with mine and didn't need it, some people find it helps though. Hurt like hell the first time I used it under my arms though, it gets easier with each repeat use cos the hair isn't as strong

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Are there any brands that are less noisy? I use mine at home and people in my house think someone's mowing the lawn outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

janeybabe wrote: »
    The noise of the epilator is pretty scary at first and it does hurt a lot first time but after that it's grand! I'm at the stage where I actually like it for some reason!

I alway wonder if people are wondering what I'm doing upstairs. I'm tempted to leave the door open just so they can see its nothing rude.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭hattie-f

i got one recenly and personally i love it
    it does hurt tho :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

SarahJ wrote: »
    I alway wonder if people are wondering what I'm doing upstairs. I'm tempted to leave the door open just so they can see its nothing rude.....

+1000000000000000000000000

I'm always worried they'll think that! :o

Advertisement