Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite F1 Team?

• 16-09-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Just wondering!

What team(s) do you like?! 80 votes

Ferrari
    0% 0 votes
    McLaren
    35% 28 votes
    BMW
    16% 13 votes
    Renault
    12% 10 votes
    Toyota
    6% 5 votes
    Red Bull
    2% 2 votes
    Toro Rosso
    3% 3 votes
    Williams
    8% 7 votes
    Honda
    12% 10 votes
    Force India
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Ferrari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Used to be Jordan :(

Too many changes with team names every year so it's hard to follow any of the smaller ones meaning I stay neutral now. Don't mind McLaren though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It used to be Jordan

When they left the scene I always admired Kimi's driving and McLaren as a team
    My obvious choice then was to favour both.
    Kimi Left McLaren for Ferrari which i was delighted for as he appeared to be the unluckiest Driver on the grid with so many "ALMOST's"
    He was lucky last year with the problems at other teams ( McLaren ..Hammie Vs Alonso )
    It seems his bad luck has not left him yet.
    But
    I will not either. I still favour him (Kimi) as one of the cleanest drivers on the grid.
    I still believe he has it in him to be wc again and again :cool:

So,
    I guess it Has to be Ferrari

remember that they have to get everything in order as they need to as Ferrari no longer has the "Dream Team" that they once enjoyed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Jordan in the past. I voted for Honda, seeing as they used be at the top of the grid back when turbo's were in use and Senna was behind the wheel! Time for them to come through again, and hopefully Brawn can bring them closer to the front in the next 2 or 3 years.
    Toyota should be ashamed - biggest budget in F1 and they're no where still.
    They should just bite the bullet, go back to WRC and bring out a road car that actually musters up some interest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Where's the atari jaguar option?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ever since Jordan left, I've not been really supporting anyone or any team. I wore a Jordan shirt to Friday practice at Monza, and a US Grand Prix shirt on Saturday. However, since Ferrari treated myself and the better half very nicely at Hungaroring, (The photoreport does not remotely do justice to how well we were treated), I will continue to wear the Ferrari shirt on race days in person until someone more appropriate comes along.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Hamilton aside, McLaren always.

Senna, Hakkinen, Brundle, Hunt...all my favourite drivers drove for McLaren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

toyota !

Always rooting for the underdog with a bit of potential !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Hamilton aside, McLaren always.

Senna, Hakkinen, Brundle, Hunt...all my favourite drivers drove for McLaren.

Did you forget Kimi ?

I despise Ron Dennis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I also have dark thoughts of grave evil when I see Ron (I'm the paranoid freak that F1 is out to get) Dennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

I've liked Ferrari since the early 80s or so - although they win a lot more - they've lost their charm. As per Enzo's request the only (non ferrari-supplier) sponsor they allowed on their cars back then was Marlboro. Times have changed when mubadala and etihad or whatever they are all called adorn every nut and bolt.

With Ferrari engines and a workforce from Minardi (who I used to support also - PIERLUIGI MARTINI what a raw deal in F1 he was great) - Toro Rosso are quickly becoming my new favourites!!!

That is until they will be off-loaded next year and either collapse or revert to the also-rans.

Feel sorry for Williams. Never was happy with the Senna thing, but if they keep up this win-less streak much longer - I cannot see how they will survive????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

jordan, ferrari, jaguar, then ferrari/mclaren

always liked williams & sauber

liked schumacher at ferrari, like hamilton at mclaren

actually like ron lol...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

For the pen ultimate in F1 Engineering, the attention to detail, the pervasive marketing and the discerning choice of drivers.. got to be.. McLaren.

Ron Dennis has been the motivator for the whole McLaren franchise, and still continues to dominate the F1 scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Used to be Jordan/Arrows/Ferrari/Sauber
    I tried to follow Jorden after they were taken over from MF1 to force India but i cant really say i support them now
    now Ferrari/BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Come back Jordan !! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just out of curiosity, what did you mean by saying Ferrari treated you well? Did you have some kind of corporate package or something?

I tend to go through phases regarding teams I like. The first team I liked was McLaren, mainly because of Senna. I then quite liked Williams.

Since then it's been mostly the drivers I follow, rather than the teams. Part of what I liked about Williams was how good their cars were between 95-97. I also loved that Rothmans livery.

Never been a huge Ferrari fan, but I do have a bit of a liking towards them because it's Ferrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I've always loved Ferrari, for a whimsicle child-like reason. The first time I switched on the TV and F1 was on was during the German GP, and the first shot of a car I ever saw was a Ferraru zipping by the camera...

...I do quite fancy Mclaren though, from a purely engineering brilliance point of view

I've always loved Ferrari, for a whimsicle child-like reason. The first time I switched on the TV and F1 was on was during the German GP, and the first shot of a car I ever saw was a Ferraru zipping by the camera...

The first time I ever saw a f1 car on tv, it was Senna in a gorgeous JPS lotus....that frame is etched into my memory. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Jordan - I remember the days, when Jordan finishing 6th gave me more happeness than a Ferrari winning now a days. I was on a high for two weeks when Jordan git a 5th and 6th finish. When they got a podium, it was like 5 Christmases at once and their one two in Spa, as a sports momemt, will never be topped for me. I have that race on DVD ( I THINK ) and all the Imola weekend in 94 as well. If any regular poster here wants a copy, PM me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

thegoth wrote: »
    Jordan - I remember the days, when Jordan finishing 6th gave me more happeness than a Ferrari winning now a days. I was on a high for two weeks when Jordan git a 5th and 6th finish. When they got a podium, it was like 5 Christmases at once and their one two in Spa, as a sports momemt, will never be topped for me.

Same here. I was a massive Jordan fan back in the day (their first car, the 7-Up 191 is, for me, the most beautiful F1 car ever created) and followed them right from the start to the end, through the good times and bad. As you said, thegoth, when they scored points you'd be going around with a massive smile on your face. When Barrichello got the team's first ever podium at the Pacific GP in 1994, it felt like they'd won the race! When he got the team's first pole at Spa later that year, I remember chewing my fingernails down to the quick almost as I sat there anxiously watching the telly waiting to see if anyone could better his Friday time during the wet Saturday qualy session. Nobody could and, when the time was up, I jumped around the sitting room screaming like a kid! Granted, we knew he probably wouldn't be able to stay in first positon for long in the race but it didn't matter. And then in 1998 when the team got that 1-2 at Spa, I think they must have heard me roaring and cheering in Australia! :D Pity they got the national anthem messed up that time but when Frentzen won in France the following year and Amhrain na bFiann played for the winning constructor, I'm not ashamed to say I cried. I don't think I ever felt as proud to be an Irishman as I did in that moment.

As for the teams around nowadays, well, I've always been a fan of Williams, especially seeing as I was a Mansell fan and his greatest successes came behind the wheel of a Williams. The Williams cars of the 90's are some of the best looking cars ever made, in my opinion, particularly the '93 FW15 (probably the most technogically advanced racing car ever made and we're ever likely to see), and the '94 to '97 cars in that fantastic Rothmans livery. Such a shame to see what was once the best and almost unstopable team in F1 reduced to what it is these days but, hopefully, they'll climb back to the front in the next couple of years. They've been gradually improving bit by bit so fingers crossed. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Totally agree. Its so hard to get behind a manufacturer team, or a team like McLaren. Granted they do everything as best they can, but they miss soul. Thats what the small indepentent teams have like Williams, Red Bull, and Toro Rossa. Imagine Vettell being allowed to say in a press conference that "We won because we had balls", if he were in a McLaren. David Coulthard said that McLaren were such dry sh*ts that they insisted that he NEVER show any stubble, even on his neck.

By the way, my favourite Jordan is the 199. I own one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOTWHEELS-1-18-JORDAN-199-DAMON-HILL_W0QQitemZ190252123352QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190252123352&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 . One of the best things I ever bought. I love looking at it on my shelf

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was always a Ferrari fan from the days when Gilles Villeneuve drove for them. They got relegated to second spot when Jordan appeared on the scene, even though one of my favourite drivers, Gerhard Berger, came back to drive for them. Much and all as I loved Ferrari, it was nothing compared to the thrill of seeing Jordan doing well. Since EJ left F1 I'm back with Ferrari although I'm really loving Toro Rosso as well this season. Dislike McLaren, and in particular Ron Dennis, intensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

Since Kimi is driving the Ferrari, i tend to like Ferrari more than when Schumacher was driving it.
    But i must admit that i always liked the Mclaren's, despite Hamilton driving it. ;) It is a fine looking machine, pity about the wings on the nose. But they will dissapear next year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was a big Jordan fan.

I support Force India for no other reason then my favourite driver Giancarlo Fisichella races for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jordan really did have the nicest cars.

My favourite -

Damon_Hill_Jordan.jpg

Followed by -

Jordan_191_rain.png

Thanks for the mammaries memories!!!

SNF0524A-380_500354a.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Jordan full stop. Neutral now but still like Williams,like aidan_dunne,I was a big 5 fan so I've always had a soft spot for them ever since.

My lump of loveliness.....

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j63/thetaxman2006/IMG_0110.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j63/thetaxman2006/IMG_0100_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

Nice 191, is that a tamiya build?

Reckon the 191 is amongst the nicest F1 cars of all time! I was lucky enough to sit on a wheel at the RDS in 1991 where I met Alessandro Zanardi too. No one knew who he was except for myself and my brother. Was great he seemed like a decent chap and was astonished that we knew who he was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

geoff29 wrote: »
    Nice 191, is that a tamiya build?

IIRC it is a Tamiya kit. To be honest I didn't build it.Bought it from Marks Models. Some guy would buy the kits,build them and then sell them through the shop. The price between the pre-made kit and the finished model wasn't much and if I'd spent that much time and attention to detail making it I'd be asking a lot more for doing it.

Photo's really don't do it justice. It's the pride of all my Jordan models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'd be more inclined to follow the drivers rather than the teams. On that basis I've gone for Red Bull in the poll, as in most other teams one or other of the drivers annoy me in some way. Like Mark Webber for the way he comes across as down-to-earth, plus his fighting spirit. And like Coulthard too for being one of the few drivers left to actually voice an opinion occasionally and not some automated PC transcript like others.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Just bought that kit this week, actually. Don't know when I'll have a chance to actually build it, I've got so much more on the queue in front of it.
    Just out of curiosity, what did you mean by saying Ferrari treated you well?

If you've ever wondered what goes on about twenty feet directly above the Ferrari pit, that the cameras never get a good look at.

FPC.JPG
    All the free (excellent) food and alcohol you want, also got the VIP parking/'get the police to make you bypass all the peons sitting in traffic' tickets... And, of course, walking through the pit. (Not pit lane, the pit itself). Frankly, I've been spoiled. Going to a race will never be the same.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭celticwe

mclaren all the way although i dolike alonso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Renault. That's only because Alonso is there.

If he went to Force India next year then they would be my favourite.

Advertisement