Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange story

Options
  • 16-09-2008 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

I live on a rural lane, dead end with 3 houses, we are last.
    Two years ago I signed up for Eircom BB and got it this February.
    The 2 neighbours then applied and have been given many stories about why they can't have BB; not possible occurred frequently.
    Does anyone have any idea why this would be? Next door's cable went in the same day as ours; it splits 50 m away.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could be internal writing or the wiring to there house from the pole, they could just out of limits and you just happen to be within limits (unlikely), maybe the two of them are on a DACS box and your not (it does happen sadly)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Caball has explained the possible reasons why its the case but if it were possible for you to give us more information like your line stats and your neighbour's dialup speeds theres a good chance the cause could be narrowed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

I just ran a speed test, should be a 3Mbs service:
    Download 2.56 Mbs
    Upload 333k
    QoS 99%
    Jitter 0.4 ms
    Packet loss 0.0%
    MOS score 4.2
    Both neighbours are using dial-up, I'll have to see if they know what speed they get.
    First neighbour in the lane has a dedicated line from a pole 400 m away; 5 years ago.
    Second one in the lane and our's [we are furthest in] was run in one new cable from the same pole; 2 years ago.
    Other neighbours further up the hill come off the same run of cable that feeds our pole and have BB.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You could also bring your Eircom modem to your neighbours house and see if it works there, this would also allow you to get the line stats for your neighbours line.

You could always think of sharing your BB connection with your neighbours via wireless and share the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

The other reason why they cant get it the exchange could be maxed out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

BK - surely my modem won't work at the neighbours house as their line isn't "on" for BB?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

JonMac wrote: »
    BK - surely my modem won't work at the neighbours house as their line isn't "on" for BB?

It depends, often it does work, often all the lines are plugged into "BB", so that when someone signs up for BB, they can just click a button to turn it on, no need to send an engineer to the exchange to plug it in.

Certainly worth a try.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bk wrote: »
    It depends, often it does work, often all the lines are plugged into "BB", so that when someone signs up for BB, they can just click a button to turn it on, no need to send an engineer to the exchange to plug it in.

Certainly worth a try.

ah this is unlikely, Eircom are not going to install DSL on a customers line when the customer has not requested it, its a awful waste of money, equipment and compacity at the exchange

Cabaal wrote: »
    ah this is unlikely, Eircom are not going to install DSL on a customers line when the customer has not requested it, its a awful waste of money, equipment and compacity at the exchange

I've tried it in the past at family and friends places, where there was never previously BB and it always worked. Perhaps it depends upon the exchange, still worth trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

bk's suggestion of sharing it via wireless sounds like a good one.

with the pre 11n kit available now offering decent speeds plus great distance you'd do them a favour and save on your connection.

Although you would want to make sure that they agree not to throttle the line with p2p traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

You think that is bad. My friend about a mile away just bulit the house got broadband, (we are on the same exchange) so I had the line connected and then checked, and was told no, tried it again 2 weeks ago and was told that the line passed and was available for up to 12MB. I jumped for joy at this point. Forward on 5 days and I recieve a letter telling me that the line does not pass so the order could not be completed. While e-mailing eircom I am none the wiser as to what has gone one, and in the words of the CC rep "I have checked with my manager and I am afraid we cannot take this any further". How do you like that. I am gutted and feel like doing some upgrading of my own.

Advertisement