Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers in Comp Sci Building

Options
  • 16-09-2008 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭

Where are they gone?
    I know there was a conference on last week but they've had plenty of time to put them back in.
    Or are they not going back into the 2nd and 3rd year labs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Laptops are Mandatory Now for all comp science students. So they got rid of most of the workstations as they're not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^^ What he said. There are a few computers still left in the first year lab, but everyone has to have laptops now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Tardy

Is this a joke? I have a 2nd year comp sci repeat that partly uses computers and I spent my money on a desktop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I also got a shock with this when I went into the 3rd year lab for the first time this year :confused: My laptop's being repaired for the next couple of days, so hopefully I won't need it :o There's still a handful of desktops, dunno if they're working or not though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Tardy

Is this all because of the stock crash? Anyway, it doesn't matter since the repeat's result is capped and the computer part isn't worth much.

• Advertisement

4th year doesn't have a normal lab, we have a classroom with about 1/4 of the sockets it needs for the class (8 sockets, 35 in the class). Ridiculous.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm not in CS - just wondering does everyone have to use the same IDE/Compiler or is it pretty much any C, Java or whatnot compiler assuming that yours compiles on the lecturer's when marked?

It's pretty much once your code compiles when marked. Most people tend to either use something like Eclipse or else text editor/compile from command line.
    I've used Eclipse on a Mac for my entire time in CS.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Ah right, as far as I remember when we learned C they showed us on Emacs/Cygwin and Borland... I used to do it at home on Linux most of the time though with no problems, since I wasted most of the lab time actually playing Command and Conquer. That's before I got hooked on Macs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Korvanica wrote: »
    Laptops are Mandatory Now for all comp science students. So they got rid of most of the workstations as they're not needed.

I thought they were only mandatory for the first years coming in this year?
    How can they change your course requirements when your in the middle/end of your degree...
    (I have a laptop myself, just think its a bit nuts...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Well they sent out a letter to every CS Student saying that Laptops were mandatory...
    Only just saw this thread but it's funny that i didn't get the above letter and only found out the first day of the semester.

Advertisement