Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista windows or just a nightmare

• 16-09-2008 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

I hope I'm in the right place for this, would have gone looking but I'm not sure what I'd be looking for.

Got a lap top last year inpiron 1521 and had nothing but problems since only just got it sorted a few months ago, now the LP is working I can't send or receive e-mails, everything I e-mail has a problem with hot mail and yahoo ??? and msn are looking for some info I haven't a clue of an keep holding on to every thing I e-mail for hot mail and won't send it out.

I know the basics of using a computer but this is so frustrating, I'm trying to get e-mails out to shops, vets and supermarkets to run a food drive for an animal shelter and Dunne's block all in coming mail from hot mail and yahoo.

Some were along the lines I was told I have to pay micro soft for the use of using e-mail on their software, it came with the computer and nothing was said about paying for e-mail.

I'm not sure I understand it at all, can any one shed any light on this for me.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I can barely make out what you are trying to say to be honest. But from what i gather you want to be able to send email to business'. Yeah alot of places block hotmail and yahoo mail's as they are free and easy to setup multiple accounts used for spam.

Who ever your isp is will supply you with a email account. Bt, Eircon, UPC etc etc. Just give them a ring and they will walk you through how to activate and set it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Microsoft email tool is "Outlook".

With your standard operating system, you get thrown in for free "Outlook Express". Its a good personal use email appication.
    It your looking for a business email application you might have to consider upgrading to the full Outlook tool that comes with "Microsoft Office". This is a considerable improvement on "Express". You have to pay for "Office" though and it is NOT cheap.

That said, there are others out there that are just as good, and some are free to boot.
    I use "Windows Live Mail" which I get from MSN for free. Great tool too and easier and clearer to use. VERY successful at catching and blocking spam, etc.
    There is a facility that makes connecting to mail accounts, etc easy (Outlook has a similar feature too). It all boils down to what are your specific requirements and personal capabilities when it comes to using such a tool.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I hope I'm in the right place for this, would have gone looking but I'm not sure what I'd be looking for.

Got a lap top last year inpiron 1521 and had nothing but problems since only just got it sorted a few months ago, now the LP is working I can't send or receive e-mails, everything I e-mail has a problem with hot mail and yahoo ??? and msn are looking for some info I haven't a clue of an keep holding on to every thing I e-mail for hot mail and won't send it out.

I know the basics of using a computer but this is so frustrating, I'm trying to get e-mails out to shops, vets and supermarkets to run a food drive for an animal shelter and Dunne's block all in coming mail from hot mail and yahoo.

Some were along the lines I was told I have to pay micro soft for the use of using e-mail on their software, it came with the computer and nothing was said about paying for e-mail.

I'm not sure I understand it at all, can any one shed any light on this for me.

Thanks

Do you want to have a different email address such as a @eircom.net to be used within windows mail so it wont be blocked by strict firewalls? First not a vista problem, You don't actually get a email with a laptop/desktop when you buy it, these are provided by your isp, whether its eircom, bt, etc you will need to contact them for creating a new email, microsoft provide windows mail free on vista, its just you will need to contact your service provider to get one setup

Hope this helps a bit

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

SET up an acount with dublin.ie ,web based email, i doubt if its blocked by anyone ,and its easier to use as it doesnt have 500 options lke hotmail,i dont think theres any spammers using dublin,ie ,you can read your email from any pc.
    you need to know your isps mail server to set up outlook on your pc.usE password like jak127gh52 ,on dublin ie when you register.LOOK AT YOUR isp ,support webpage /help /mail theres usually a guide to setting up mail, outlook for eircom brodband/support/mail/faq ,eg whoever is your isp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Thank you all for your help,

I am useing 3G which is my isp. Windows live mail or msn which seem to be the same as far as I can tell are looking for my isp password I'm not sure if this is the pass word it dails up on or if I need to ring them to get one, for now I'll try dublin.ie as I have to get mail out asap.

I was also just talking to the shelter who have changed from dail up to broad band and can no longer gain access to there site to up date it, I need them to get photo's up to help them re-home and will be down getting new pictures done to put on other sites (sorry but not that I've even figured how to put them up on boards yet, but thats another story) I know I sound useless on computers but I'm still on computers for dummy's and really want to help them so any info you can give me at all will go along way.

You are so good for answering me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Thank you all for your help,

I am useing 3G which is my isp. Windows live mail or msn which seem to be the same as far as I can tell are looking for my isp password I'm not sure if this is the pass word it dails up on or if I need to ring them to get one, for now I'll try dublin.ie as I have to get mail out asap.

I was also just talking to the shelter who have changed from dail up to broad band and can no longer gain access to there site to up date it, I need them to get photo's up to help them re-home and will be down getting new pictures done to put on other sites (sorry but not that I've even figured how to put them up on boards yet, but thats another story) I know I sound useless on computers but I'm still on computers for dummy's and really want to help them so any info you can give me at all will go along way.

You's are so good for answering me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You could also try setting up a google mail (gmail) account and using Thunderbird, which is similar in function to Outlook Express, and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Timpa Bylon

Manties wrote: »
    I can barely make out what you are trying to say to be honest. But from what i gather you want to be able to send email to business'. Yeah alot of places block hotmail and yahoo mail's as they are free and easy to setup multiple accounts used for spam.

Who ever your isp is will supply you with a email account. Bt, Eircon, UPC etc etc. Just give them a ring and they will walk you through how to activate and set it up.

I have an Ireland on Line (IOL) account and recently 3 people with Hotmail accounts complained that I had not answered their e-mails. Turned out (after a bit of checking) that NO Hotmail e-mails get through to me.

I've spent a long couple of weeks getting the run around from IOL support and they've even suggestd that Hotmail blocked e-mails to my IOL account because they may consider me a spammer. Doesn't seem logical. Surely Hotmail would block incoming e-mails from my IOL account?

I'm wondering if anybody knows how I can find out where the hotmail e-mails "die" and if there is a hotmail help/support line/e-mail?

Paul T.

Advertisement