Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RDS bikeshow 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Cheers for that slab,

Are there good deals at this? Will be heading in anyway but just wondering if you can pick up bargains, never been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

gabgab wrote: »
    Cheers for that slab,

Are there good deals at this? Will be heading in anyway but just wondering if you can pick up bargains, never been
    Not really sure to be honest regarding bargains etc. Though their's plenty of freebies, t shirts, baseball hats etc and the odd draw for a lid etc. BTW, their's always a great p!ssup in the pub directly opposite it, make sure to get a taxi home though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

NEC for bargains, RDS for locality and the pissup ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

The RDS bike show has to be the worst bike show ever. Total rip-off with very few bargains. It's overrun with cheap immitation branded leathers and pure sh1te.

Real bargains can be got at the NEC so book yourself a cheap flight and have a great day out.
    The NEC show has all the latest bikes on display, The RDS has whatever dealers decide to bring along with very little imput from main importers.

Wossack wrote: »
    NEC for bargains, RDS for locality and the pissup ;)
    I'd say the NEC also has more chicks on the display stalls ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Not to sound like a total retard here, but where abouts is the NEC show?
    I've been on the road about 10 years biking but I've never been one for bike shows - only one I've ever been to was the RDS one that was on last year..

cheers

jim o doom wrote: »
    I've been on the road about 10 years biking but I've never been one for bike shows - only one I've ever been to was the RDS one that was on last year..

cheers
    It's near Birmingham I think, never been to it meself.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

jim o doom wrote: »

cheers
    NEC is the National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham. It has a shuttle from the airport so it is a doddle to get to. And huge. It makes the RDS look like a village field day.
    The NEC show has all the latest bikes on display, The RDS has whatever dealers decide to bring along with very little imput from main importers.
    We have a biking market here roughly the size of a middling UK city. So its understandable that any of our shows are smaller scale. The last show was well supported by the main marques (minus Kawasaki) who all took main display stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

yeah the lack o f kawasaki was dissapointing alright. my faves... at least they had ktm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

It usually isnt great but i will still head along.

Oh and for the bargain hunters, i got an Arai rx7 for €500 there when the exact same model was €775 in a few bike shops around Dublin.....so there is the odd bargain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Cheers for that lads,

Is anyone going to the NEC this year or the next one? None of my mates are into bikes but would like to head over and see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

gabgab wrote: »
    Cheers for that lads,

Is anyone going to the NEC this year or the next one? None of my mates are into bikes but would like to head over and see it

You'll meet a good crowd of bikers on any of the early day flights to Birmingham during the dates of the show. The NEC is in the same grounds as the airport so the shuttle tram gets you there in a couple of minutes.

Check out the regular Irish bike sites/forums as there's always a good crowd going from each forum. Some on one day trips and some doing overnights were you'll have great craic soaking up the Brum night life.
    Definitly not to be missed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Any interest in the boards meet up on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

You can get good deals if you know what you want and where to get it. Helps as well if some of the people at the shop stands know you from the shops. Two years ago I got a RX7 for €375 and a pair of Alpine star boots with them helmet for 205... They also chucked in a service kit and a foldible seat that I use for servicing the bike (still in perfect condition so was not a cheapo 2 euro thing)

Just look out for some of the Northern Irish dealers. Some of the kit is not new but used or whearhouse stock. We found some jackets last year with mould on them! As well as some stuff that was clearly used and then returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The NEC is the Dog's Bolloks of Bike Shows (Locally) = Birmingham, its a bit like four RDS Bike Shows rolled into one, & its got virtually every Bike you can think of on display, (unlike the RDS) which is a joke by comparrison - then again I suppose one really shouldnt compare the two shows considering how small the Irish Bike market is compared to the massive UK market!

Dont get me wrong, the RDS Bike Show is OK in its own right, its just missing an awful lot ...........

If you really want to see all the Biggest, Fastest, Sexiest Bikes on the World stage, then go to the NEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭dclifford

Just booked flights to Birmingham. Same day return only €20 on Sat 6th.
    Would never go near the RDS again having been to th show at NEC.
    You can sit on all the bike and you will get bargains and show specials.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭gipi

I paid a little more (€30), day trip to NEC on Tue 2nd Dec. Mind you, I priced the same flights at €70 over the weekend, so I'm glad I waited till today to book!!

I went to the last RDS show, wasn't overly impressed (very few bargains I thought, because of the "generous" exchange rate used by the UK exhibitors), and weren't there reports of stolen bikes from the car park (or was that the previous bike show?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The best thing about the RDS bike show is the drive with a few lads on bikes, and the bike park outside. Inside is fairly rubbish. Even the quality of tart spralled across the odd bike is ropey.

Advertisement