Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Fixie

Options
  • 16-09-2008 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi All -

I'm starting night time postgrad study in town in about 2 weeks and am concerned about the security of my beloved Trek 520 on which I currently commute (and on which I cycled across the USA last Summer - www.cyclingusa.blogspot.com ). I think my double sus might also be a bit too flashy. So the family needs to grow.

I'm thinking of building/buying a fixie. Due to the security issue the price is critical - ideally about €200. Would anybody out there have a suitable base frame? If not any tips on where I might find one? Also, is my budget realistic?
    Indeed if anyone is looking to sell theirs I'd be interested.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks,

Ridertothesea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You might get lucky and pick one up for around 200. 200 to build one is optimistic.

The giant bowery is regularly pimped on here, it's around 315 euro I think, including postage.

Keep an eye on ebay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Cheapest Bowery around

Not going to get anything much cheaper tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Check the "parts to trade" post at the top. There are a couple of bikes going - not fixed wheel but certainly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Just saw this on bikeradar. They might do reasonable delivery to Ireland
    http://www.unipackuk.co.uk/track-bikes_roadcourier.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Verb wrote: »

By all accounts those bikes are complete pieces of horse manure. Deathtrap.

I'd go for the Bowery if you can stretch it. They seem to be great value bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Verb wrote: »

+1 fish-head

I had a look at that and I don't recognise the hubs (I spent a lot of time researching hubs when doing my build) so they're probably made from donkey poo and the wanky lacing on the wheels is bad news - I think wanky lacing is bad news anyway but really bad news on a cheap bike

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Hi All -
    .... concerned about the security of my beloved Trek 520 on which I currently commute...

I have the older Trek 520 (also from a US trip, and now my commuter) and have never had a problem leaving it locked up around Dublin.

I think the pannier racks, tatty handlebar tape, drop bars and frog pedals just don't make it appealing to the standard thief on the lookout for the latest pretty mountain bike/moped...

(Sorry I've not much info on fixies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ridertothesea

Hmmm ... my previous experience suggests that the average thief will take anything they can get their hands on - (even if its just to dump it in the lake in UCD)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

... and am concerned about the security of my beloved Trek 520 on which I currently commute (and on which I cycled across the USA last Summer - www.cyclingusa.blogspot.com ).

Sorry for the off-topic, but great to see the Izaak Walton Inn pics on your blog. Travelled around by Amtrak last year and spent a couple of days up there. Fair play to you for biking that distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

+1 on the Bowery from Pearsons, €315 and I am very happy with mine. But note that ollietrex is selling his fixie which looks very nice and would certainly be more unique. Looks like a very reasonable price too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement