Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm considering a Bullmastiff pup.

Options
  • 16-09-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Any advice appreciated.

I have a 11yr old Black labrador who we love to bits. he is spoilt rotten and i have no regrets as he is a brilliant dog.

I have always had similar dogs to him over the years and sadly he is getting on and he cannot go walking much anymore as he has arthritis.

I have always admired the Bullmastiff breed and i just came across a chap selling a beautifull male puppy at a reasonable price.

I have loads of space and i have had dogs all my life and i wonder as life is too short should i go ahead and get the Bullmastiff puppy?

I am thinking it might turn into a disaster as i know our Labrador is very jealous even when i show my partner affection.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Egar has just taken in a dog he's a cross and needs a home he is lovely have a look up holy mother o' doG on these boards, there are also lots of dogs all over this country in pounds awaiting the death sentance why not try the pounds instead of buying one and save a life.

You can also try these guys http://www.ashanimalrescue.com they are crying out for good homes for their animals. If you call them they'll tell you what they have, they are so busy at the moment they are not getting a chance to u date there site.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Bringing a new dog in, on an older dog's territory isnt a ball of fun! For the first month, at least 75% of you time needs to be on the older dog. Puppies need a whole load of time in the first few months though, so you could find yourself stretched way too far.

An older dog that is already toilet trained and past the teething stage might be better time-management wise.

I'd be concerned about it though if your dog reacts while showing your partner affection. You need to set the ground rules and show that you two are the Alpha pair/leaders (whichever way you put it).

I know he's old, but until he learns his place, I wouldnt think getting a new dog would be the best idea. There'll be tiffs and spats between the two dogs too until they sort out their position in the family, so you could end up with two jealous dogs and an annoyed partner at you having to spend so much time trying to sort them out.

New dog or old dog, puppy or adult, they live a far happier life knowing they're not the ones to take on the responsibility in a strange world where they dont know how to handle the situations.

In my opinion, I would think its best to wait for a while til you have your other dog knowing where he is in the family/pack. ... but again it's only my opinion! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Beth wrote: »
    Bringing a new dog in, on an older dog's territory isnt a ball of fun! For the first month, at least 75% of you time needs to be on the older dog. Puppies need a whole load of time in the first few months though, so you could find yourself stretched way too far.

An older dog that is already toilet trained and past the teething stage might be better time-management wise.

I'd be concerned about it though if your dog reacts while showing your partner affection. You need to set the ground rules and show that you two are the Alpha pair/leaders (whichever way you put it).

I know he's old, but until he learns his place, I wouldnt think getting a new dog would be the best idea. There'll be tiffs and spats between the two dogs too until they sort out their position in the family, so you could end up with two jealous dogs and an annoyed partner at you having to spend so much time trying to sort them out.

New dog or old dog, puppy or adult, they live a far happier life knowing they're not the ones to take on the responsibility in a strange world where they dont know how to handle the situations.

In my opinion, I would think its best to wait for a while til you have your other dog knowing where he is in the family/pack. ... but again it's only my opinion! :)

Thanks i really appreciate your opinions i think i will forget about another dog for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

maybe if you got a youngish female he may accept her? usually an older dog feels secure when they know they are the older one and the boss anyway, as if they don't have to fight for the top dog position with a more equal dog. (although ideally YOU should be "top dog" so the dogs don't feel the need to be top dog themselves) and in my experience are usually less likely to pick a fight with a female (know of one dog who would run away from my female if she as much as looked at him but would have no such worries having an "argument" with another male!)

hope that makes sense x.x

and yes egar have some lovely bull breeds looking for homes if thats the sort of dogs you like.

You dont necessarily have to forget about it - just be prepared for what you could be getting yourself into.

A bitch would be better than getting another dog alright as kerrysgold says.
    And you dont have to get a puppy - an older bitch (6 months + ) would be toilet trained for the most part and not as chewy either.

It could take you 2 weeks to a few months to find the right dog, and in the meantime you could be showing your current dog where his place is. Even if its as little as 2 weeks, you can make a huge difference in changing things like his place in the family.

It is "do-able" - its just a lot of work, so know what you're taking on before hand.

Do a LOT of research before adding another dog or bitch. If you know what you're getting into, then you will manage after both settle into a routine. If you dont know, then I'd say clear of any additions a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I recall 15 years ago i got two young male droppers that had a rough life before i bought them.

they had behaviour problems and the older they got the more agressive they got with each other. I rate myself as being very experienced with dogs etc but i would not like to face similar problems again, that was a nightmare before and i eventually had to rehome one of them as dog handlers advised me that particular problem would never go away.

I know all about letting dogs know who is boss but i love dogs so much i like to let them have lots of confidence and show some dominance rahter than having them scared and shy of me. Thats my personal opinion.

The Bullmastiff is a breed i have always admired and would love to own one some day.

I was very fond years ago of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and he was an absolute gem of a dog despite their bad press coverage in modern times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

IrishHomer, can I suggest that you find yourself a dog you like in rescue and see if the dog is fully assessed and then offer to foster the dog? At least then you have rescue backup and can adopt him/her once you are sure that there are no problems?

As to the two lurchers, maybe they were brothers? I often see that in sibling ehomings (which I don't do and I always separate siblings on arrival if they are older than 4 months).

Oh IrishHomer, I didnt mean you need to have your dogs scared. There's a huge difference between being a leader and having your dogs respect, and having your dog fear you.

Anyone can be a leader without having the dog fear them.

Sibling rivalry is awful :( Whether they are littermates or from different litters put together and are the same age, it can still develop!

Advertisement