Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed ramps!!!!!

• 16-09-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

What the F**k!!!!!!

I have a pain in my B0ll0x now with the amount of speed ramps in waterford!!

Where i work there is 17 speed ramps between the offices i need to be in, which means in a day i have to drive over to the offices roughly 6 times Thats about 500 Ramps a week!! (26,000 a year) thats not including all the ramps i have to drive over just to get to work!!!!

the ramps outside my house scratch the back of my car as i drive over them and some of them are so high that you need a 4x4 to get over them...

This is really p1ssing me off BIGTIME now because i have just spent over 1000 euro on repairs/ replacements to my shocks and CV joints, on top of paying over 300 quid for roadtax for the privilege of having my car wrecked!!

I wouldent mind as its for safety but some of the roads these ramps are on are so bad that you probably wouldent even be able to go the limit even without the ramps without crashing!!! are the council just putting all the roadtax into building Ramp instead of resurfacing?

/ end Motherf**kin rant!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Shur you're only driving a boy racer car anyways :pac:

Just kidding...

I know what you mean, some of the ramps are way OTT - On the road down to our estate, there's three speedbumps, one of which was only painted a few months ago - I can only imagine the amount of cars not used to the road coming down at night and hitting it full on.

I'm all for road safety, but some are unreal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Waterford has gone ramps mad. Though, a lot of the newer ramps can be safely ignored as they do little damage and dont reduce your speed much (if at all). The ones I am refering to are the small little humps on the road - down by the roundabout on Paddy Browns Road (back enterance to WIT) and also the ones by Laurdell there.

The worst ramps have to be the ones around Lismore Park where you have no choice but to stop and drive over VERY slow or you will rip the bottom from your car. There a bit better in the industrail estate tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Sully wrote: »
    The worst ramps have to be the ones around Lismore Park where you have no choice but to stop and drive over VERY slow or you will rip the bottom from your car.

oh man, yor spot on there!! they win hands down.. the tops of those ramps are ripped to bits from the bottoms of everyones cars.. are these things not regulated? is there no standard? size.. width? steepness? they are Monsters in there.. haha there is more ramp in Lismore park than the skate park :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Waterford has gone ramps mad. Though, a lot of the newer ramps can be safely ignored as they do little damage and dont reduce your speed much (if at all). The ones I am refering to are the small little humps on the road - down by the roundabout on Paddy Browns Road (back enterance to WIT) and also the ones by Laurdell there.

Those bumps your talking about are a completely retarded idea by the council...why? ......because they're in the frickin braking zone for the roundabout....people are slowing down anyway!!

plus because they don't go the full way across the road, I reckon some day that the road is icy or super wet with rain a car will go skew off one of them into the oncoming traffic...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Those bumps your talking about are a completely retarded idea by the council...why? ......because they're in the frickin braking zone for the roundabout....people are slowing down anyway!!

Well, I do have to say a good few dont actually slow down. Iv seen a lot of cars drive very fast there and its an accident waiting to happen! A lot of people walk to and from the college via that section! The ramps themselves are a joke tho!
    plus because they don't go the full way across the road, I reckon some day that the road is icy or super wet with rain a car will go skew off one of them into the oncoming traffic...

Perfect example of that is up by the Presentation - have you seen them sprawled across the road. Lethal!

• Advertisement

Perfect example of that is up by the Presentation - have you seen them sprawled across the road. Lethal!

Theres what...4 sets of them along cannon street there? and the road is so narrow with cars parked on both sides that its impossible to speed on cannon street. every day up there you see cars going off line because those stupid bumps are badly placed and badly thought out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They have ramps in Poleberry but in fairness they were needed, I lived up there for two years and the amount of gob****es speeding through the street was unreal!

The ramps up morrison's road are also far too high, when I first moved down to waterford my sister couldn't drop me up to the house as she'd rip the ****e out of the car no matter what speed she went over them. she was driving a Honda CRX Delsol at the time. Think they might be lower now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

The smaller ramps are for Bus's they allow them to drive over them, anywhere the bus lane are these ramps will be.The worst ramps are lismore park and just outside FAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Another thing is the retards that decide to resurface a road then 4 weeks later dig it up.

For example Cleaboy road newly surfaced drove past a while a guy and some fella with a digger workin away can this work not be done before its surfaced,Bit of team work between departments would really help:mad:

Another thing is the retards that decide to resurface a road then 4 weeks later dig it up.

For example Cleaboy road newly surfaced drove past a while a guy and some fella with a digger workin away can this work not be done before its surfaced,Bit of team work between departments would really help:mad:

Could be worse.. could be living on the Abbey Road area ;)

• Advertisement

The smaller ramps are for Bus's they allow them to drive over them, anywhere the bus lane are these ramps will be.The worst ramps are lismore park and just outside FAS.

Not everywhere though. Round the back of Ballybeg where the church is theres 2 ginormous bumps that would definitely loosen yer fillings going over them in a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mang

Not everywhere though. Round the back of Ballybeg where the church is theres 2 ginormous bumps that would definitely loosen yer fillings going over them in a bus.

they were put in place to help pregnant girls drop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I think those small square ones are called speed cushions

there is a legal height those bumps are meant to be..cant recall what it is at the moment...buttheose ones oyt in Lismore park are well above it...if anyone needs a new suspension I'd tell the council you broke it goin over them and theyre obliged to pay for the damage...same as with potholes...if potholes are not repaired correctly the council are liable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Typhoon. wrote: »
    I think those small square ones are called speed cushions

there is a legal height those bumps are meant to be..cant recall what it is at the moment...buttheose ones oyt in Lismore park are well above it...if anyone needs a new suspension I'd tell the council you broke it goin over them and theyre obliged to pay for the damage...same as with potholes...if potholes are not repaired correctly the council are liable

i had a tyre explode on me when i hit a pothole on Barrack st about 2 years ago, i sh1t myself.. cos i nearly went head on into oncoming traffic.. i shuld tell them to shove their road tax.. would be safer driving through a field..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

the lismore ones are a joke, i remember going to a friends house when he lived there and had to stop everytime before going over them, if anything wouldnt it be possible to have speed bumps at a universial height?!

Could be worse.. could be living on the Abbey Road area ;)

Yeah true there is 1 or 2 deadly bumps there that could do damage,the holes all over the place dont help either

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

And while we're at it, why the hell are they putting tar and chippings on the roads again ? I thought they were of the by gone famine era.

Flyer1 wrote: »
    And while we're at it, why the hell are they putting tar and chippings on the roads again ? I thought they were of the by gone famine era.

Where have you been the world resession is on chap:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

ahhhh but jesus things aren't that bad. Sure we're still able to send all our politicians around on private jets and helicopters, tis a cod.

Flyer1 wrote: »
    ahhhh but jesus things aren't that bad. Sure we're still able to send all our politicians around on private jets and helicopters, tis a cod.

To be honest i dont think its the lack of money but the council looking for a quick cheap fix on a road that they see as one of low importance type thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Heathen wrote: »
    haha there is more ramp in Lismore park than the skate park :D

Round my way children use them as ramps when they're skateboarding. My son aged 12 at the time was bellydown on his skateboard and when he went over the speed ramp the front wheel came down on his hand and he ended up with 2 broken bones in his finger.

If you have a couple of passengers in the back seat and some stuff in the boot no matter how slow you go over the bumps it still catches on the bumps

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adebisi

Delighted someone brought this up at last, its a gripe of mine for a long time! Whilst I do see the need and reason behind them, and am all for them in principle, there sems to be no thought involved in putting them in. Some of the ones up my way (Tycor), Lismore, Viewmount, Waterside (schools, I know, but still waaaay too big!) are insanly high! From reading this, there does seem to be some regulations for them, love to know the max height, as there's loads in Bla which are huge. And others which are just a pure waste of time. Maybe we should get our old friend McCannt to look into this and object if new ramps go over the allowed limit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Something I noticed today. There's no way to my house that doesn't go over at least two ramps (I'm including those little ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Whats with the ramps coming up to the traffic lights on cannon street as well? Only reason I can think is for people rushing to make the green, but having them there still seems a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I just don't get the ones down by poleberry like. THey're tiny and have a big gap in the middle and at the side so they don't really reduce anything. It's more like drivin up on a curb than anything else *ponders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭JMcL

No, that would require the arse knowing what the elbow is doing, and would assume that both are connected to a brain somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

oh i know how u feel, they are a bloody joke, some ppl dont slow down so they are pointless. only put there to wreck cars.. i only put one wheel on them to get over them..
    my car is very low and iam sick of paying to have things fixed cause of stupid roads.. im very tempted not to pay my road tax anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I know this policy true in other counties and I can only presume it is true in Waterford but if a company or department needs to do work on a road e.g laying telephone wires etc then for the 6 months after the work is completed that company/department is liable for any incidents that happen on the road and they also have to pay for the repairs to the road.

That's why roads are always been dug up every other week by someone new cause the council organises it like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

When they dig a hole in the raod they should be made resurface more than the hole, it should be from the white line to the kerb and extending for at least 20 feet either direction from the edge of the hole to ensure a smooth surface....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 mealone42

oh i know how u feel, they are a bloody joke, some ppl dont slow down so they are pointless. only put there to wreck cars.. i only put one wheel on them to get over them..
    my car is very low and iam sick of paying to have things fixed cause of stupid roads.. im very tempted not to pay my road tax anymore.
    Was home in Waterford two weeks ago and had occasion to go into the Industrial Estate and right outside FAS there are two ramps erected that are downright criminal. My wheel 9alloy) was damaged by those stupid things that were erected to slow down the boy racer types in FAS. Well FAS you can feck off and stopp destroying peoples cars. I had to pay the Hertz for damage and I am now considering sending that bill to the asshole in FAS who erected them. They are too aggressive and totally different to the others on the Estate:mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement