Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time of the month relief

Options
  • 16-09-2008 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

Ladies, when your time of the month rolls around what do you do to get on with normal life and ease the discomfort? I'm to be found under a duvet with chocolate for the first day and with some tea and toast i'll pluck up the courage to venture out into the real world. A friend of mine puts orange peel on her skin to alleviate the agony although i'm not sure what the purpose it supposed to be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Evening Primrose Oil is a miracle worker :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Orange peel? :S

I sit down with chocolate and a movie in a people-free room :)

I know people who go mental during their rag week and take it all out on those around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hot water bottles... Tracksuits.. Warm showers.. Tea..

And lots of drugs..

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

A hot-water bottle, an early night and neurofen plus by the bucket-load.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Trudge through the day and get an early night in bed, hot water bottle or some manly hugs generally help. Nurofen plus if it's very very bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I find nurofen plus does nothing! Never heard of the evening primrose oil, might give that a go next time. Mine is very irregular so being forewarned is forearmed is out the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

LolaDub wrote: »
    I find nurofen plus does nothing! Never heard of the evening primrose oil, might give that a go next time. Mine is very irregular so being forewarned is forearmed is out the window!

nurofen plus never does anything for you or never helps your cramps? I find it an excellent painkiller for anything from cramps to wisdom tooth pain. I suppose these things all work differently for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

I'm sufferin at the mo:( but not as bad as I used to be. The evening primrose capsules are great. I take two every day without fail. I buy them in Lidl/Aldi as they are only 1.99 per pot. I have been told that 2 per day is the right amount for painful periods. It really wont have an effect for about a month or so. I'm not pain free but it's a whole lot better than it was.

To make myself feel better in the short term I have a twirl*.

* a chocolate one not a spinning one.

I rarely take it, usually just to make myself feel like it might get better soon! But no i've never felt much of a difference with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Chocolate; and proper chipper chips always make me feel better!

• Advertisement

God Bless the chipper chips!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Oh Lord, I go crazy in the run up to 'that magical time' my poor bf knows at this stage just to take the craziness with a pinch of salt.. I take things really personally for example, he knows not to joke with me for those few days, terrible really, poor fecker... As for the 'event' itself, I find disperin and hot tea helps.. And of course chocolate.. Glass of wine helps sometimes too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

A good moan, a cry, and getting my boyf to feel sorry for me usually does the trick :D

Why do we have to deal with this every month! Surely once every six months would suffice! I get depressed in the run up to it, anyone else have that?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Yes, and thorugh it too, I usually feel a bit down in the dumps, and oddly, really paranoid. Is this strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

It got to the point last month that I couldn't walk and sit up straight, well sit up at all, so from this month on the ring.

No one in my family gets bad ones so they have no idea and moaning about it it is no way normal in my house.

The old walking thing does do the trick though, well after a 2 days or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

A deep hot bath and industrial strength pain killers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

LolaDub wrote: »
    Why do we have to deal with this every month! Surely once every six months would suffice! I get depressed in the run up to it, anyone else have that?

Absolutely.. And hysterical..

I can deal with the pain.. but the mood swings are the worst...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Some co-codamol and a half bottle of vodka usually does the trick!

Erm half a bottle of vodka??????? How do you manage to head to work like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Lately I have found that repeating "I'm not losing my mind, it's just hormones" to myself helps with the irrational weepiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Feminax and chocolate are all I need. Being in an all-girls school I have an endless supply of sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Evening Primrose Oil is a miracle worker :D

Starflower oil is better, has more of the active ingredient. Keeps the hormone spots at bay too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭metamorphic

an ex of mine used to enjoy intercourse on day 2 of her period. Would that be in any way common?

an ex of mine used to enjoy intercourse on day 2 of her period. Would that be in any way common?

More so than you might imagine..

You are more sensitive to all sensation when menstruating, both physical pain and pleasure are heightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ellebelle

A few orgasms! I'm serious something about chemical release and pain killer & relaxant etc..... it works. ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Dissolvable Solpadeine, the granddaddy of tablets helps with cramps. I take Evening Primrose Oil so that helps with mood swings.

Envisioning boiling in oil all the muppets who annoy me also helps. I know that its just the period related madness so I keep the mouth shut but the daydreams help alot.

Oh and i'll be found munching on carbs for a day or two. 2kg sack of spuds between two slice pans generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Neurofen plus, deal with it. Used to be so bad with cramps I was prescribed ponston for about a year, the first time I took it I slept for hours haha.

The week before it is the crazy week for me, but only every few months. It'll result in crying over films, any films at all.

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Neurofen plus, deal with it. Used to be so bad with cramps I was prescribed ponston for about a year, the first time I took it I slept for hours haha.

The week before it is the crazy week for me, but only every few months. It'll result in crying over films, any films at all.

Even The Exorcist? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'd probably cry at the awful things that poor child went through.

*Sobs* Books can do it too.

Advertisement