Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horrorthon (23-27 October)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Decuc500

There was quite a bit of laughing during Time Crimes. I don't know, some people obviously found it unintentionally hilarious. I don't really understand people going to a film in a horror festival and laughing at the film. It's a time travelling/sci fi movie, you're supposed to just sit back and go with the flow, even if it doesn't make sense.

I was disappointed with Surveillance. It started off well and I enjoyed it's quirkiness but it descended into the usual sadistic, pointless horror movie that get released all the time now. In particular the last 'kill' left me feeling depressed and angry that I had sat through 90 minutes to have the film bludgeon the audience like that.

The best film I saw over the weekend was The Hunger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Unfortunately I missed the hunger ...

yeah, there was a good bit of laughter going on during some films. The late night ones (night of the lepus / impossible kid) are generally silly, so you expect the laughter and you go along with it. However, some people seem to go to all the films with the same attitude, and it can be pretty annoying. I know there was one girl two seats down from me during dawn of the dead who was particularily annoying.

I thought Surveillance was alright, better than shrooms. I don't think anybody would've expected that film, and there were some good performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

23 films later, my brain has well and truly melted, but it was worth it :)

Lovvveeed Martyrs. For me it was by far the best movie I saw. The Hunger was probably the worst ¬_¬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Decuc500 wrote: »
    There was quite a bit of laughing during Time Crimes. I don't know, some people obviously found it unintentionally hilarious. I don't really understand people going to a film in a horror festival and laughing at the film. It's a time travelling/sci fi movie, you're supposed to just sit back and go with the flow, even if it doesn't make sense.

I was disappointed with Surveillance. It started off well and I enjoyed it's quirkiness but it descended into the usual sadistic, pointless horror movie that get released all the time now. In particular the last 'kill' left me feeling depressed and angry that I had sat through 90 minutes to have the film bludgeon the audience like that.

The best film I saw over the weekend was The Hunger.

I dont understand this....its a major pet peeve of mine.

There were a number of people laughing at numerous points during Martyrs. Really? Whats fvcking funny?

The part where the camera pans out and
    we see the girl has been skinned
    got a big laugh from a number of people behind me. Yes fvcking hilarious....so was the part with
    all the cars arriving and the part where the mademoiselle shot herself
    . Some other moments brought laughter
    involving the girl with the metal plate nailed to her head.

Ruins a film for me....completely takes you out of it. I know its a festival, your there to enjoy it and I have no problem with people enjoying themselves and having a bit of a laugh but Martyrs was not the film to do it. Usually inappropriate laughter annoys me but t be honest, during this film it quite frankly repulsed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Babybing wrote: »
    The part where the camera pans out and Spoiler: we see the girl has been skinned got a big laugh from a number of people behind me. Yes fvcking hilarious....so was the part with Spoiler: all the cars arriving and the part where the mademoiselle shot herself. Some other moments brought laughter Spoiler: involving the girl with the metal plate nailed to her head.

Ruins a film for me....completely takes you out of it. I know its a festival, your there to enjoy it and I have no problem with people enjoying themselves and having a bit of a laugh but Martyrs was not the film to do it. Usually inappropriate laughter annoys me but t be honest, during this film it quite frankly repulsed me.

I guess I was lucky, didn't hear any laughter from where I was. Nervous, twitchy laughter I can deal with, but a big hearty belly laugh at those points, surely not???

Still by people's reactions at the end and the general silence in the lobby afterwards I think for the most part people saw it in the right frame of mind.
    Decuc500 wrote:

Surely you sat through the first 30 minutes just waiting with baited breath for French Steward's appearance? He made the film! The last 30 or so were all downhill after that. "You settled didn't you?" Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

In fairness most of the laughter is generally from the back of the room and coming straight from Ed and his cohorts...
    azezil wrote: »
    Lovvveeed Martyrs. For me it was by far the best movie I saw.
    Care to elaborate on that? Like I said earlier, i'm interested to know what people who enjoyed the movie thought of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fun Guy

aidanpower wrote: »
    In fairness most of the laughter is generally from the back of the room and coming straight from Ed and his cohorts...

Care to elaborate on that? Like I said earlier, i'm interested to know what people who enjoyed the movie thought of it.

Me and lads call it the horrorthon laugh. People laugh at stupid things at the festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

aidanpower wrote: »

For me it had everything I like about horror movies:
    creepy psycho killer girl demon thing, people being torchered, lots of blood, grotesque violence, people being mutilated, beatings, spike lee style camera angles bringing one right into the action, then throw in some bit of a story to explain why it's all happening at the end, happy days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭fergisimo

So what was the surprise film?

• Advertisement
Advertisement