Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no karen millen or coast at weddings?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Would you not think that half the joy in seeing your presents were all different shapes was wondering what was in them.Theres no fun in only getting cash as you will never get that truly terrible present that at least one bride and groom seem to get.You will have no things to look at and think of your day after aall the money wont last long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Sowra wrote: »
    just read in an irish sunday mag that some brides are putting on wedding invites;
    'no coast or karen millen dresses'

whats that all about? is there something wrong with those shops :confused:

Just lol. That is shocking. Did it mention if the last names were Ward?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

oh i know few invites that had no coast dresses because alot of ppl buy dresses from there and are usually the same.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

oh i know few invites that had no coast dresses because alot of ppl buy dresses from there and are usually the same.

Even if a lot of people do buy dresses in Coast, do you not think it's a bit rude putting it in the invitation? Also, I have a pink dress from Coast I got a while back, would I not be allowed to wear that? I think the whole Bridezilla thing is a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭giggles

I'm getting married next year and got our bridesmaid dresses in Monsoon, but it would never even cross my mind to say 'No Monsoon' in the invites!!! It's ridiculous, not everyone buys a brand new dress for every wedding they go to and shouldn't be restricted to where it comes from!

Also, don't agree with asking for cash presents. It may be what you'd *secretly* hope to get, but to actually ask for it is just acting like a spoilt brat in my opinion!

• Advertisement

giggles wrote: »
    I'm getting married next year and got our bridesmaid dresses in Monsoon, but it would never even cross my mind to say 'No Monsoon' in the invites!!! It's ridiculous, not everyone buys a brand new dress for every wedding they go to and shouldn't be restricted to where it comes from!

Also, don't agree with asking for cash presents. It may be what you'd *secretly* hope to get, but to actually ask for it is just acting like a spoilt brat in my opinion!
    At last somebody with a bit of sense.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm going to a wedding early next year where the bride has already verbalised that she only wants cash from me. I can't wait to see what she puts on the invite. :rolleyes: She justifies it by saying that having a wedding is really expensive, and they need cash gifts so they can afford a honeymoon! Don't have a big wedding if you can't afford it! I honestly feel more like a customer than a friend at this type of wedding, it's mercenary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

muinteoir1 wrote: »
    OMG that is the tackiest thing I have ever heard! Would they prefer if we all showed up in outfits from Dunnes and Pennys?????:eek:

God ... you're nearly as bad!! :rolleyes:

What's wrong with wearing outfits from Penny's or Dunnes? Very respectable, dunnes in particular can be really smart ... and costs a fraction of a dress from Coast etc.

If I was getting married, I couldn't care less if my guests were in plastic bin liners, once they were there ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LiloDB

supermouse wrote: »
    Also, a lot of the brides now buy their bridesmaid dresses in Coast and Karen Millen so id say its to save the guests from looking like they're part of the wedding party!

Saw an invite recently that said ''no karen millen or coast dresses. cash only presents'' thought it was awful cheeky!!!

Well, I was thinking that the bride bought the brides made dresses there and she is making sure that no on will buy a similar one or something.. Well i am getting married next year and I wouldn't really have the nerve to tell my guests what to wear or what not to wear... so don't know what that is all about..

About the money thing.. A lot couples who are getting married these days live together already, and anything they need they prob have got already, so people buying pressies that they have already is a bit of waste.. and weddings do cost so to be given cash is way more beneficial then pressies.. and I just think its easier to give cash instead of running around trying to get a present that they might like and hope that they don't have already...

Having said all of this, I don't know if I would dare to specify that in my invitations... :cool:

But if their after cash to help pay for their wedding its just not on,if you cant afford it dont have it.Be grateful there are people willint to travel and spend money to go to your wedding.I dont know how anybody would have the nerve to tell people what to wear and also ask for cash.They have some necks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I think it's insulting to put cash gifts only (or anything that implies that) on a wedding invitation. It should be up to the guests what to give, if anything. Most people give cash nowadays so asking for it is just cheeky. The 'weddings are expensive' argument doesn't justify it, if you can't afford a big wedding then don't have one, don't be depending on yur guests to fund the day. Any wedding we've ever gone to we've always given cash -1 because most people now live together and have everything they need and 2 because it makes more sense to give something that you know will be used. I'd hate to think I'd be spending a fortune on a set of crystal glasses for them never to be used. However, if the invitation specified cash only I think I'd go out of my way to find the tackiest gift I could.

LiloDB wrote: »
    Well, I was thinking that the bride bought the brides made dresses there and she is making sure that no on will buy a similar one or something.. Well i am getting married next year and I wouldn't really have the nerve to tell my guests what to wear or what not to wear... so don't know what that is all about..

About the money thing.. A lot couples who are getting married these days live together already, and anything they need they prob have got already, so people buying pressies that they have already is a bit of waste.. and weddings do cost so to be given cash is way more beneficial then pressies.. and I just think its easier to give cash instead of running around trying to get a present that they might like and hope that they don't have already...

Having said all of this, I don't know if I would dare to specify that in my invitations... :cool:

About the bridal party dresses, I would be more embarrassed if I turned up to a wedding wearing a bridesmaid dress than the bride should be. I mean, any I've seen have been a completely different style of dress than what most guests show up in.

But the money thing is what really makes me sick. I mean, saying that you live together therefore have everything already is not an argument, as far as I'm concerned. You know, I've been working and earning money for 10 years now, I don't want birthday and christmas presents anymore...just give me cash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Malari wrote: »
    She justifies it by saying that having a wedding is really expensive, and they need cash gifts so they can afford a honeymoon! Don't have a big wedding if you can't afford it! I honestly feel more like a customer than a friend at this type of wedding, it's mercenary.

Ask for hoilday vouchers,

My oh say's he would prefere to see
    a summons than a wedding invite coming in the letter box.lol.

With the cost to attend a wedding so high i would only
    go if it was someone i really cared about.

I know a guy who always goes to the wedding first before giving a present. He then decides on the worth of the present based on the quality of the meal, whether there was free wine, and the general enjoyment derived from the night. Inspired! :)

Advertisement