Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Goddess or Domestic Sloth???

Options
  • 16-09-2008 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

Ladies,

Its hard to do it all. Keep the house, keep yourself, keep the ladygarden:D, pay the bills, bring up the kids, please the OH, hold down the job, keep fit etc.

So many things to do, so little time!!!

I go through phases of Domestic Goddessness and Slothism. Its hard to do it all, and usually its the house that suffers; Or its hard to do it all when you spend your time picking up after others....(this means YOU smelly house mate:mad:).Several mates of mine live in slovenly hovels; i'm not quite sure if this is down to lack of time or lack of interest;or just spending too much time on their personal grooming!

I do find routine bores me, and anyway, its hard having a routine in my my line of work.

What about yourselves? Would your great grandmothers be proud of your domesticity or are you guilty of bringing the family name into disrepute???!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I choose neither, I have always used the term domestic engineer, I keep things running and fuctional which is more important then looking pretty and Goddess' don't have to clean toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Depends on which day it is really. I have a strict rule - no housework on a Monday.
    Also, I have no kids so it's a bit easier for me to keep on top of things.
    I would say I veer between Domestic Lunatic (cleaning at 3am) and Domestic Lump (have my minions clean around me).
    Get Momma's poking stick!
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Goddess' don't have to clean toilets.

They have to use em though yeah? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

At the moment.. I am am like Monica out of friends/ Bree out of the desperates..

My house is like a shrine to all that is clean and holy.

My wardrobe is colour co-ordinated. There is shelf room in the hotpresses. Even under the stairs is tidy!!

You could eat your dinner off the toilet...

I do have a cleaner once a fortnight, though.. Takes a little pressure off.

And not only am I cleaning my own house, but my mam is just out of hospital and I am doing hers also.. My dad does his best but men just dont see the dust etc. I like to think that men are good at tidying and women are good at cleaning..

The sooner this baby comes out the better..... I can get back to my normal self..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I'm very domestic and like things to be clean and orderly.

Some people deeply resent me for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Quality wrote: »
    At the moment.. I am am like Monica out of friends/ Bree out of the desperates..

My house is like a shrine to all that is clean and holy.

My wardrobe is colour co-ordinated. There is shelf room in the hotpresses. Even under the stairs is tidy!!

You could eat your dinner off the toilet...

I do have a cleaner once a fortnight, though.. Takes a little pressure off.

And not only am I cleaning my own house, but my mam is just out of hospital and I am doing hers also.. My dad does his best but men just dont see the dust etc. I like to think that men are good at tidying and women are good at cleaning..

The sooner this baby comes out the better..... I can get back to my normal self..

Quality I just want to say you come across as a very nice person (in TLL, not the 'Dome of course! ;) ) and I wish you all the best with the leanbh nua. I've enjoyed your timeline and I think if you wanna eat for two then do it! All that cleaning must burn it off! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

My bedroom is always tidy. Always. Can't sleep if anything is out of place. Am so neat that I actually know if someone has been in there.

Am fanatical about keeping kitchen clean too. Always wiping down counters etc.

But I live in a shared house so its generally just those two rooms, otherwise i'd be cleaning up after the other muppets all the time. (not that they're muppets, they're lovely but they don't notice dust)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Well, I just blitzed the house today and i am feeling very smug and satisfied. tomorrow I tackle my wardrobes and the hotpress.

The good weather is a great motivator!

I do try to keep things best as I can, I really like a nice place too.

I love home decorating;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

All I can say is thank fúck the kids are back in school.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Right now I have an army living in my house and I'm so upset I can't have it the way I want to.
    I'm dying to get stuck into it.
    I like things to be "just so" and I know I can be quite weird about it :D.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Right now I have an army living in my house and I'm so upset I can't have it the way I want to.
    I'm dying to get stuck into it.
    I like things to be "just so" and I know I can be quite weird about it :D.

You can come around and clean my house if it would help you with your withdrawal symptoms. :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Its not even that the house is dirty, its just so cluttered and not "mine" right now.
    :D:p

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Its not even that the house is dirty, its just so cluttered and not "mine" right now.
    :D:p

foiled_again.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm a galley slave (I live on a boat);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I go into some people's houses and no matter when I call it's always tidy, I'd love to know how they do it. It's just me and my boyfriend in our house with his daughter 2 or 3 weekends a month and I can't keep the place tidy. I seem to spend most of the weekend cleaning :mad: I clean the whole house from top to bottom every Saturday and when I wake up on Sunday I have to start all over again. We have black tiles in the kitchen so they have to be hoovered and washed at least once a day. The carpet on the stairs and landing shows up every bit of dust and fluff so that has to be hoovered daily too. Then there's the cleaning of the bathrooms, bedrooms and sitting room... That's before I even start the laundry.

Monday to Thursday I do as little as possible. I'll clean up after dinner every day - load the dishwasher, wipe down the work top and maybe give the kitchen a quick sweep, but not much else, but if you called to our house on a Thursday you'd think I was a lazy bitch! I'd love to be a Domestic Godess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

I'll probably do a major major clean on a sunday and do nothing for the week as one particular week I Spent a good 5 hours cleaning up..

Came home..And my boyfriend(Who works on the site we live and goes home from lunch AND finishes 3 hours me) wrecks the place.

I came home on Monday with teabags on the floor..TEABAGS!!

And when I confronted him..he Said "the dog did it"

I don't like living in neat, tidy spaces.
    I like clutter and even a bit of dirt.
    I honestly think I'd have a nervous breakdown if everything was perfect all the time.

I do love cooking, just not the washing up after.
    I like gardening too, because I like to be outside.
    I get really excited about having the opportunity to fix things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

The dog did it? Ah, well, obviously. Poor creature felt like having a cuppa, what's there to doubt? ;)

As for cleaning, I am with Moonbaby. Life's not an advert, so no need for spotless places. What's there to enjoy about cleaning?? With cooking/fixing etc., you get great satisfaction, but cleaning is sort of pointless as it's gonna be wrecked again anyway...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I used to be a domestic goddess with a picture perfect house. Then I had my second kid, and with her came the realisation that in 100 or even one years time no one is going to care if my kitchen floor was shiny last Tuesday. Now I have functional domesticity. Clean clothes, faces, bedclothes and crockery. All else is done if time allows, or visitors are calling.:)

And I was watching Joan Rivers last night. Im with her. No man will care if your lino is immaculate, its not like theyll say 'oh your floor is so clean... come to bed, sexy.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I can go weeks and weeks with everything being spotless. But to be honest I'm more untidy than anything else. Specifically my room, clothes everywhere. In other parts of the house I tidy up after myself, it's just not worth listening to the whinging if I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

I'm such a weirdo, as long as my wardrobe and drawers are neat and organised I couldn't give a frig about the rest of my bedroom. I have so much stuff that it is impossible to keep tidy anyway. Need to have a purge badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I give the kitchen and bathroom a BIG clean every Saturday, the b/f keeps it ticking over during the week :D
    They're the only rooms I really HAVE to have clean. Hate eating in a dirty kitchen or having to use a dirty shower - YUK!

Everything else is just cleaned if visitors are coming.

Advertisement