Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first period..

Options
  • 16-09-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

They say girls are getting their periods younger now...

What age were you?

I was 11. which was pretty young.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I was 12 years old, these days it ranges between 9 and 13.
    Which is a bit shocking when I think about how it could be my daughter from next summer onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I was 12 and the first of my group of girls who were all older than me. Scared the bejaysus out of me, I never got 'the talk'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I was 16!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I was 14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

12. I remember feeling really sad and teary for little or no reason, then voila! The explanation presented itself. It was only a couple of drops for the first couple of months which was a nice gentle way to be "broken in".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

12. I was so excited!
    I got over that pretty sharpish!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

12 and it coincided with a bout of food poisoning, literally, the same day :( Oh yeah and I was in a strangers house in Leitrim, went down with 2 friends to visit a reletive of one of them... So I was home sick aswel.. Didn't even have my mammy with me... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Aww xzanti that sucks, most defo need a mammy figure around at a time like that! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

i was 13....:eek:
    in my home -ec class.. teacher sent me to the sick bay upstairs:D

Aww xzanti that sucks, most defo need a mammy figure around at a time like that! :(

Well there was a kind of mammy figure there, my friends mam, but she was a bit of a lunatic :o.. Started asking me if I was pregnant when the food poisoning started.. I was 12 ffs :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

I was about 14, I remember thinking I was later than others to be getting them. At the time I couldn't wait to get them, 'cos I wanted to be like the others. Different storey these days!

I also remember that some how my mothers aunt (in-law) heard that I had got 'them', and said that I was way too young to be getting them! I was so mortified that she even knew. :mad:

I know a girl who's mother took her out for dinner to celebrate when she got her first period... Always found that a bit.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

xzanti wrote: »
    I know a girl who's mother took her out for dinner to celebrate when she got her first period... Always found that a bit.. :confused:

Sounds like a judy blume book!!!

Lets all celebrate becoming a lady!!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I thnik I was about 13, I felt quite old tho. Got it once, then not again for a couple of months, then low and behold, was supposed to go on a day trip to Wexford, and it arrived!! Its always been great with timing eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Cathooo wrote: »
    I was 12 and the first of my group of girls who were all older than me. Scared the bejaysus out of me, I never got 'the talk'.

I hadn't gotten "the talk" either - I was 11. Woke up one morning and thought I was dying. Got the day off school because I was inconsolable.

It is pretty scary when you think about the first time tho. You're told about it, but no-one can prepare you for that pain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

I was about 12. The worst was that I was still in primary school and my mam gave me a pack of maxi pads:eek:. The size of them was unreal AND I had to try and be really discreet trying to shove one up my sleeve when going to the toilet. Kids today.... don't know they're born... ha ha.. always wanted to say that.

larko wrote: »
    I was about 12. The worst was that I was still in primary school and my mam gave me a pack of maxi pads:eek:. The size of them was unreal AND I had to try and be really discreet trying to shove one up my sleeve when going to the toilet. Kids today.... don't know they're born... ha ha.. always wanted to say that.

OMG, those things were a nightmere, they were like surf boards, hated them.. Lillets all the way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Think i was 13, i remember being in first year and all the girls had it but me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I was 12 and was very upset and embarrassed when I got them.

And for a few months I used to put the ST's (that word still make's me shudder) on the incorrect way, until one day a new brand said remove peel and stick to pants :eek:
    Periods didn't seem half as painful after that lesson!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

13 in the my middle of my end of 1st year exams. I remember thinking 'ah so thats that then' and went on with the rest of the exam. Still always get one during summer exams.

Millie wrote: »

And for a few months I used to put the ST's (that word still make's me shudder) on the incorrect way, until one day a new brand said remove peel and stick to pants :eek:
    Periods didn't seem half as painful after that lesson!

Haha what were you doing??

I hate the word panty liner. Mainly cos I hate the word panty

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

xzanti wrote: »
    OMG, those things were a nightmere, they were like surf boards, hated them.. Lillets all the way..

And am I right in thinking that they usedn't to be like the pads are today, all nicely wrapped up in green / purple covers? I think they used to be just a big huge thick pad, you had to kinda try to fold it and then try to hide it in a pencil case size thing!
    (I'm not that old!!! Its just my vague memory of the first few years, before Always introduced the green folded and wrapped things!)

And my mam used to always refer to them as ST's - cringe! I hated that word, having said that I think I hated anything associated with them at all.
    She tried to be all politically correct and not have a big deal out of it, but it seemed to have the opposite effect on me, and saying the word period for years would have me checking did my cheeks go red. Even if it was an accounting term 'Period end'. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I was 9/10 was in 4th class and i thought i had cut the inside of my leg, as the teacher for a band-aid and she asked me what was it for and i told her i had cut the inside of my leg while i was sitting on the swing... she went red and called my mother. I was brought home, and a big stupid looking... pillow is all i can call it, put on and then direct to the couch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Stay Free Maxi Pads :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Puberty hit about 10 years ago and I've yet to have my period, anybody think there might a problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

I was 8 :(
    At home, and terrified - I hadnt gotten the big "talk" about it coz i was so young!!! I thought i was dying :eek: All my mother and sister could do was roll around laughing. I still remember the tears streaming down their faces :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Ah bless you Beth you poor thing!:(

I was 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Boston wrote: »
    Puberty hit about 10 years ago and I've yet to have my period, anybody think there might a problem ?

Yeah problem is you have the wrong sex organs to have a period, maybe you should have paid attention in sex-ed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Millie wrote: »

Yeah I was very upset as well :o (was 12) my mum was like; "what are you crying for?"

Still don't know the answer to that!

Advertisement