Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first period..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

xzanti wrote: »
    I know a girl who's mother took her out for dinner to celebrate when she got her first period... Always found that a bit.. :confused:

My mam bought me cake... I was 11 and got it in the middle of school just before choir practice. Mother picked me up and when I told her she nearly crashed the car.

We then went to the shops, bought cake and she proceeded to tell everyone when we got home. Mortified.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Ah I'm hoping i'll be over them a whole lot sooner seeing as i started sooner :D
    I wouldnt have minded a cake fonpokno!! I got pillows. Jaysus those things were huge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I was just gone 14. Happened on the second day of second year in secondary school. A month earlier and I would have been out of the country with no family with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Boston wrote: »
    Puberty hit about 10 years ago and I've yet to have my period, anybody think there might a problem ?

That would explain the moodiness and the occasional strop and angry outburst :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Quality wrote: »
    Sounds like a judy blume book!!!

Lets all celebrate becoming a lady!!

I was 11.

My parents took the entire family (myself and four brothers) out to 'celebrate'. I'm scarred for life by the experience. They even made my brothers 'congratulate' me.

They're odd like that. They kept a box of condoms on the kitchen windowsill, because they didn't want anyone 'taking risks'.

I can't take them anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SMG123

Femmy wrote: »
    I was 16!!

I was 16 too :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ellebelle

I got mine on FRIDAY THE 13th of May in my twelfth (spelling??) year on this planet at about 2 in the afternoon.......... in between english & french classes in my first year of secondary school........

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Think I was 13/14 when I got my first one. Damned things would appear then disappear for 6 months at a time.

My mother told my father that his little girl had become a "woman". The mortification.

My younger sister got hers when she was 8, she still believed in Santa at the time too. Bless her.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was 13, just after starting 2nd year in secondary school. Surprised me a little, but I was glad that they'd finally started. Though I'm 24 now and they're still not regular (haven't had more than 8 in a year since I was 17).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

I was 14.I had just been stayin in my aunts for the weekend and I woke up to it on Monday morning.I was bloody(excuse the pun!)delighted because I was the last of all my friends!Instead of just telling my mother I had gotten it(too embarassed),I made her guess what I had to tell her........took her 20 minutes!

• Advertisement

I was 11.

My parents took the entire family (myself and four brothers) out to 'celebrate'. I'm scarred for life by the experience. They even made my brothers 'congratulate' me.

Talk about morto!

I was 11 too. And not very happy about it. I balled my eyes out the whole day because I didn't want to be a grown up.

The worst part about it was that the other girls who had started, figured I must have because I was filled out at that stage. They would lure me into wooded aeras and with promises of gore and merriment, only to accost me with girly talks. As a result, I still actually can't talk about that stuff in public.

I have a sick stomach is my code for I'm having a terrible tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Quality wrote: »
    Stay Free Maxi Pads :eek::eek::eek:

oh god yeah, i remember them, they were awful yokes. thank god for always!

i was 11, in 5th class of primary school.
    my mother told my father, who said it to me the next day - CRINGE:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BK2

I was about 14/15. I remember I was waiting for them for ages because my older sister got them when she was about 11 so there was a huge gap and then my younger sister got them before me aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I was 11.

In fifth class I think. Mum let me take the day off, Herself and the father were off anyways, not sure why, and we went off to Killarney for the day.

As I remember correctly I got yummy chocolate cake and they bought me a wood carving of a cat sitting down with a fishing rod, which I still have!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I was 12 or 13. I remember I had such bad back pain for the week before I got it, I even asked my little sis to walk on my back! Horrible. Was plagued with really bad period pain for the first year, but it settled down after that thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

11. First one in my class. I told my mum who told my teacher! How embarrassing!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I was 10 or 11, first out of my friends and I had an awful time of it from the first month until I finally had to be put on the pill at 15.
    I hated the whole experience I was such a Tomboy until then, then all of a sudden my body was making me so ill every month.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I was 13. First proper day of 1st year when all the rest of the years started back. I never panicked so much in all my life. Thank god my big sister was in the school, although she was so annoyed when I walked over to her at lunch time infront of all her friends. . our conversation went something like this:

Chew: eh. . somethings going on
    Sister: get the fook away from me
    Chew: I need your help
    Sister: I warned you bout talkin to me in school
    Chew: yeah but I need one of those gurlie things
    Sister: I swear I'm gonna bate ya when we get home
    Chew: I just need one st
    Sister: FFS I dont have any now go away
    Chew: Has any of yer mates?
    Sister: I'm not askin me mates now go away
    Then I start crying
    Sister: FFS I'm gonna murder you!!!!!

Then she brought me to the priciple who had even less sympathy for me but she proceeded to give me something that resembled a papers nappy.

Gah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

11. A few days before Christmas. It was in the evening, I was alone at home with my big brother. The pain was horrible, so I rang my mother who still at work. She (like me) thought my stomach was upset... Anyway, I went to the toilet and noticed the lightest trace of pink (I swear, it was really, really light pink) in my underwear, and for some reason I knew immediately. The next day it really started - the pain was unheard of. For years I was really, really angry at nature for making women have to go through all the really ****ty parts of procreation when men only have enjoyable physical sensations. Pathetic, I know, but I still find that really unfair! :mad: :( That's why if I ever have a daughter, I will make sure to spoil her rotten when she has her first period(s). Establish some kind of fairness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Almost 13

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I was 12 and in sixth class, I was at home with my older sister but she looked after me and got me some Always and I was grand.

They were fairly irregular for the first year or so... I remember getting my period unexpectedly one day not long after I'd started secondary school, I had to borrow 60p off someone to go and get a pad from the vending machine in the girls toilets. The shock at the humungous yoke that landed in the drawer, it was like a feckin nappy, I was walking like John Wayne for the rest of the day! I learned a lesson that day though - always have spares in your bag, I've never used a vending machine since

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I was twelve and had just come back from a trip to Greece. On the last few days of the holiday I was cranky and just so uncomfortable in the heat, but it all made sense soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Couple of days before my 13th birthday at a Chrismtas party. Had been reading magazines like Bliss for months before hand so no panic, knew what was going on. Told my mother a few months later, she panicked over it, gave me a sex talk which consisted of 'don't, please don't', threw some pads at me and didn't speak of it for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

10/11 i think? Weird how i dont remember the exact age. Was definately still in primary scholl though i cant remember having it in primary school weird. Was at my aunties house, thankfully no bad pains or mortifiying congratulatory scenes lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dinner's ready!

I got mine on my first day of secondary school- i was so freaked about starting school that when I discovered I got it I just burst into tears in the toilets!
    I told my mam when I got home and when I came downstairs later that evening my dad shook my hand.....oh the awkwardness!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The making it a memorable ocassion and telling Dad's in all fairness is a new thing, really it's not something our mother's would have had to face thier Dad's about it.

I do have plans for when it happens with my daughter and for when my son's voice breaks
    they are mile stone and should be marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

14, 3rd year & cringeworthy.. was up in aunts house with mother, so when I discretely motioned to my mother looking for some SOS help, she proceeded to tell everyone and I had my mother and 2 aunts cooing over me in the bedroom trying to decide how big an ST I could handle.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The making it a memorable ocassion and telling Dad's in all fairness is a new thing, really it's not something our mother's would have had to face thier Dad's about it.

I do have plans for when it happens with my daughter and for when my son's voice breaks
    they are mile stone and should be marked.

Whats the plan thaed??

I am now sh!tting myself also.. My little woman is 9. I dont want to scar her for life when the time does come.. Although, I think she has a while to go yet..

What do the rest of you ladies think would be a nice thing to do on the day in question...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Beth wrote: »
    I was 8 :(
    maple wrote: »
    My younger sister got hers when she was 8, she still believed in Santa at the time too. Bless her.

So glad to see I wasn't the youngest!! :D I was 9 & in third class!! It was horrible because I went to a rural school where only the sixth class girls were allowed to use the 'special' toilet - ie the one with the sanitary towel bin!! I got caught using it in fourth class and was brought to the principal!! :( I was mortified!!

maple wrote: »
    My mother told my father that his little girl had become a "woman". The mortification.
    Thaedydal wrote: »

I do have plans for when it happens with my daughter and for when my son's voice breaks they are mile stone and should be marked.

I'm 27 & I'm not sure my dad even knows yet nevermind knew when it started!! :eek: I wasn't even allowed to say 'bra' around him for years!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement