Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first period..

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

I was 14 and couldn't wait as all my friends already had theirs. I got it in the middle of the night when I got up to go to the loo. I was all excited and went in to tell my mother at 2am. She just said "oh lovely" and went back to sleep - Soooooo not interested!!!!

Also, following on from the tv theme - I remember when Rudi from The Cosby Show got hers, and they had 'Womens Day' to celebrate ie. her on the couch with a blanket and the mother telling her how she is now a woman - puke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

I was 9! I remember I came out crying to my mum thinking something was seriously wrong...think she nearly died with embarresment too!! Then it went away for a few months and came back with a bang! :( But the maxi pad thing...aah!!! They were massive! I remember when we got the ''talk'' in school about ''becoming a woman'' we were told, if u get your period jus say to the teacher , ''i have to go the the principles office'' so she can fix you up... eh no way! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

''i have to go the the principles office'' so she can fix you up... eh no way! :eek:

Lucky your principal was a woman!!

Got mine at 11, had had a massive row with two mates that seemed to hate each other that night. Now I know why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭blue_belle

i was 11. in 6th class. didnt know what the fcuk periods were. cried and cried when i found out this would go on for about 40 years. im 17 now, still havnt really gotten over it.

oh, is it normal for mine to still be really REALLY irregular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

blue_belle wrote: »
    i was 11. in 6th class. didnt know what the fcuk periods were. cried and cried when i found out this would go on for about 40 years. im 17 now, still havnt really gotten over it.

Oh God, I remember feeling like that as well! After the first two years, I remember begging my mother to let me have a hysterectomy so I would not have to endure any more of the pain... :(

I really don't know. Mine have been regular ever since they started. My mother had comforted me at first by saying I might not have the next one till six months later or so. Yeah, right! Might explain the despair described above. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

When I got mine my mum just told me not to get pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

blue_belle wrote: »

I'm 24 and mine still aren't regular (I've had 3 in 2008...). I don't think it's exactly normal, but I don't think it's much to worry about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

A girl in my year told me today that until a few weeks ago she hadn't had a period in 5 months and only took a pregnancy test after five months!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I got mine about 3 months after my 11th birthday. It was a Thursday evening in November. I thought there was something wrong with me!!

They were really irregular, heavy and painful. I've even fainted from the pain, once in school... The shame! Thankfully they're much easier now and I barely have any pain. They're still irregular though.

Seriously freaked out over Lina Medina.. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I think I was 11 or so....but I do remember when I discovered they had arrived...in a crappy toilet on the side of the road driving to Co. Clare with my mum, dad and bro. I was actually kinda excited I think. I was dying to tell my mum but didn't get a chance til later that evening, when we finally arrived and had stopped in a pub for a late dinner. The nerves!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Very irregular periods can be a sympthom of a heap of things, so ladies if it starts happening do tell your dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Very irregular periods can be a sympthom of a heap of things, so ladies if it starts happening do tell your dr.

*is currently sitting on a 12 day wait to see a doctor... bloody UCD student health*

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sincho

I was 10...it happened during the night and I toddled off to school the next day not having a clue, it was only when I came home that day that my mam told me, she's noticed the stains in my knickers!
    At that stage I hadn't a clue what was going on, I just remember feeling like I was better than my older sister coz she hadn't had her first period at that stage but weirdly enough she started the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I was about 17/18 think that's a lot older than most, oh well at least I escaped a few years of the curse. My Mom was going to bring me to the doctor so I faked it for a while:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Bitz n Pieces

I had just turned 13. I got them, was too embarrassed to tell anyone, but of course Mammy copped it doing the washing, it was only then I got the talk.

I was vomiting in school, was sent home took nearly a week off. Then I had to go back and perform in the school's christmas panto. My first period lasted for nearly three weeks!!!!!

Then I was really irregular, and I used to be in bits in school. Rubbing my thighs, cos they were dead. Sweating, nearly crying.

I used to have to take at least a day off school every month. God bless the pill is all I can say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

I was 13... I remember Mum explaing the "28 day" cycle to me, so i got out my calender and marked it for the next year so i knew exactly when i was getting it... until my mother cracked up laughing and had to explain it again... :o ah the innocence, i thought i had it all cracked :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Ugh... I don't like the idea of a daddy 'congratulating' his daughter or of celebratory dinners or the like.

It's a natural occurance, the less of a deal made about it the better imo.

Though one poster had a great idea about buying nice bath stuff like Lush things for their daughter. That's a nice, subtle little treat methinks!

I was 12 btw, in primary school. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

believe it or not I went to my Dad when I got mine, he's a farmer and ma's a teacher so Dad was always around if any of us were ill or whatever, I was twelve and he was so sweet, told me to go to bed, then brought in a hot water bottle and a bar of cadbury's and told me to tell mam when she got home, mam then took me for a drive to have the talk but ended up getting really really flustered and telling me I'd grow balls on my chest! :pac::pac::pac: can only hope she meant boobs!

Did have the most awful experience a couple of months involving a pair of cream leggings and a neighbour's arm chair :eek: scarred for life after it! Only exacerbates the whole 'unclean' feeling :(

Advertisement