Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G USB Modem External Antenna

Options
  • 16-09-2008 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

I livein an area that's as good as on the edge of o2's 3G HPSA broaband coverage, with me being able to get a high speed connection semi-regularly (and once it does connect it's stable for just about as long as I stay connected) and I was wondering what are the best opitions in terms of a signal boosting antenna.

I'm using an E270 usb modem that has a socket underneath for an external antenna, by the way.

What should I be looking for and where would the best value be?
    If anyone from exprience could tell me what kind of antenna would suit best.

I've seen smaller protable ones with 2 dBi, but since it was omi-directional, I'm wary as to what level of use it could be since most of these antennae rely on directing the signal in a certain direction so as to improve reception.

Anways, thanks for any help you can provide!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Judge2112

some are quite expensive:

Link

An E270 adapter

Haven't tried these myself, but I am considering it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I've looked at Infoferenda, but their prices seem prohibitive for somethingwhich may or may not be of any use.

I've beenl ooking at this site:
    http://www.panorama-antennas.com/shop/3g_cards/Huawei/E270/index.html

It's got too relatively afordable options; the 2 dBi omi-directional clip-on antenna I mentioned before for 20£ incl postage and vat and a 9 dBi (the cheapest infofernda one is 11 dBi - 99EUR excluding the 15 eur cable, 25 eur postage and the adaptor AND the VAT) desktop mountableone with an adaptor for 45 £ inclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Judge2112

Since I use O2 BB only at home and is therefore stationary, I was considering the one you can mount outside, and stick the E270 into a 3G WiFi router.

I get 2-3 bars in HSPA mode with just the modem, but I have to put on my tinfoil hat and keep my right leg at a 45 degree angle with my head tilted 32 degrees east in order to keep the signal consistent.

Advertisement