Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

05/06 Passat Diesel Pump Problems

Options
  • 16-09-2008 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Folks

As per a pervious tread i am thinking about purchasing a VW Passat or A4, my preference would be a Passat 05/06 vintage, 1.9TDi SE/Comfortline

I heard a nasty rumour about the Diesel Pumps in passats whereby the diesel pump goes and its Circa 2k to get it fixed. :eek:

Anyone know more about this, one thing i did hear was that VW used to get the diesel pumps from bosch but went for a cheaper version from some other company and that was the start of the issues.

Any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If they go, you can expect a bill of that magnitude but I'm not sure there's any class issues on VW's, their technology may be old but it's well proven. Injector pump failure on any diesel car is €€€.
    Like any used car, get it properly checked out before you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

This was discussed only a few days ago on here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055376880
    Jeez why start a new thread on the same subject which is only spreading on unfounded and inaccurate "nasty rumours"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

Sorry dude didn't know it was an offence to start another thread on the same subject.....

Anyway its not a nasty rumour, i called in to my local independent mechanic who is a German National and loves anything German, but he says its a common issue but a pump will only set you back €250-€300 and what ever it costs to fit, so its not a big issue in itself, he did mention also that the handbrake was giving a lot of trouble in 2005/06 models but its solved for 07

so its sounds like the rumour was indeed fact

Cork4ever wrote: »
    Sorry dude didn't know it was an offence to start another thread on the same subject.....

Anyway its not a nasty rumour, i called in to my local independent mechanic who is a German National and loves anything German, but he says its a common issue but a pump will only set you back €250-€300 and what ever it costs to fit, so its not a big issue in itself, he did mention also that the handbrake was giving a lot of trouble in 2005/06 models but its solved for 07

so its sounds like the rumour was indeed fact
    If the thread I referred you to was 6 months old, I would have said nothing but FFS it was only a couple of days old.

As for your mechanic being the oracle on all things German here's something you can tell him that will add to his skillset.
    The handbrake issue on the Passat can be fixed by a software update to the cars ECU.
    Betcha he'll be impressed when you tell him that??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

yellow012 wrote: »
    As for your mechanic being the oracle on all things German here's something you can tell him that will add to his skillset.
    The handbrake issue on the Passat can be fixed by a software update to the cars ECU.
    Betcha he'll be impressed when you tell him that??

It is still a pain though.

And politely pointing out there was another thread would have been sufficient.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    It is still a pain though.
    That's all you can contribute to this thread??
    maidhc wrote: »
    And politely pointing out there was another thread would have been sufficient.
    What I said was hardly insulting, I don't think people are that thin skinned on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

are vw still taking in
    the 05,06 passats for recall??to be on the safe side...
    just bought an 05 one and was wondering...

minxie1 wrote: »
    are vw still taking in
    the 05,06 passats for recall??to be on the safe side...
    just bought an 05 one and was wondering...
    AFAIK its not a recall, it's only a recall if it is a safety issue. If it does go wrong take it to your local VW dealer where they can fit the modified pump and there is a process in place to appeal the bill with MDL/VWGI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I know of 4 people who bought passats & all have given problems

the after sales service from a certain vw main dealer in limerick was shocking

an issue with one of the cars was only sorted going up the steps of the courthouse

a local student nurse bought a 04 1.4 petrol golf from the same dealer a month outa warranty engine seized . 2 years hp due on car & no help from dealer

Advertisement