Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greetings & Gaggia PID stuff

• 16-09-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit of an espresso nut - I'd have posted here earlier, but didn't realise boards.ie had a section for my other favourite brew! (I'm a homebrewer too)

I'm currently on my third espresso machine - a Gaggia Classic modded with a Silvia steam wand and last week I picked up my second grinder - a La Pavoni JDN grinder with doser, although I'm regretting that particular purchase. It seems that my original choice of a Gaggia MDF are no longer available and I was offered this instead.

Anyway, I'm glad to see there are some machine modders here... I'm planning to tweak my OPV at the weekend I always wondered why my shots only took 15 seconds or so. Hopefully this will sort that out. I hope you don't absolutely need a blind filter for this, as I haven't got one handy and I'm a bit impatient at the best of times.

I also plan to add a PID controller (can you tell I'm an engineer??). Has anyone here added a PID to a Gaggia? I've seen 2 types - the auberins.com one and this one -> http://home.earthlink.net/~r_harmon/PID/index.htm. This seemingly allows you to steam more than a thimbleful of milk at a time (one of the biggest let downs of the Classic IMHO). It sounds like it might be worth the few extra quid for the steam function. If anyone has any experience with PID's I'd love to hear!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

i think spending $195 on the Classic would be OTT. I'd go with the cheaper auberins one. If you open the steam wand before the steam ready light comes on you can keep the element on which will prolong your steam power. Just a matter of timing.

If you are an engineer I would suggest getting a pressure gauge and measuring the brew pressure for the OPV adjustment - the blind basket method isn't very accurate.

Otherwise - welcome to the forum!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I haven't added a PID to my classic. I have done the OPV mod as you may have read. As RE*AC*TOR said, get a gauge to make sure your adjusted settings are accurate otherwise you've no way of knowing what you're level you're adjusting to. Also, he blind basket method isn't accurate. You'll enjoy the results, let us know how you get on and what you decide to do.

stimpson wrote: »
    I always wondered why my shots only took 15 seconds or so. Hopefully this will sort that out. I hope you don't absolutely need a blind filter for this, as I haven't got one handy and I'm a bit impatient at the best of times.

Even with the gaggia running at a higher pressure you should still have been able to produce a pour around the 25 second mark. Check your grind and the amount you're dosing.

Also, welcome to the forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have this grinder on the finest setting and no matter how hard I tamp, it seems to fly out of the portafilter. With my old grinder (the cheapo Krupps one that everyone says to avoid) there was a point where it would just stall the machine completely - the next coarsest grind would be OK, but I could still not get a 30 second shot.

I take it any old pressure gauge with the right thread would work. Does the spout on a gaggia portafilter just unscrew?? I had a look this morning and it didn't want to budge.

I think I'll go for the $195 kit - theres not that much difference, and my better half likes her cappuccinos. Anyway, as the man says, nothing succeeds like excess!

The spout will unscrew although it's tightened an awful lot (unnecessarily so) from the factory. I had to use a strap wrench to loosen mine.

As Mr Magnolia said - also check your dose - updosing a little will increase the shot time.

One more thing - it might be possible to modify the grinder slightly. I'm not all that familiar with it, but often you can open them up, and reseat the burrs a couple of notches tighter.

Oh and any pressure gauge that can go up to 10/15bar will be fine. If it's not fluid filled you will notice the needle waving a lot due to the vibe pump. But you should still be able to determine the midpoint of the swing.

As for the gauge: the gauge and any fittings used (reducers etc) must fit into the housing of the classic, obviously you can remove the drip tray to allow more space but you're still restricted. Consider using an elbow or it's equivilant if you're using a larger gauge ie. > 1.5" with fittings. Have a look at what happened me here and you'll understand.

• Advertisement

That's a very good tip.

I've been looking on ebay, and I can find gauges, but it's obviously difficult to locate fittings and stuff. Any idea where I could pick up the bits in the city centre?

Any plumbing shop or decent hardware store should sort you out. Take the your measurements with you so you don't get caught as I did.

This place is the balls http://www.manotherm.ie/

Well out of frustration with my grinder yesterday I tried to force it around to grind finer, and what do you know - it does do a real espresso grid! The stupid hopper isn't 'keyed' so you can put it on to the grinder in any position without moving the burrs - meaning the scale is utterly useless. Obviously designed by someone mad or drunk or blind.

Anyway, I found the perfect setting yesterday and did indeed get a 30 second shot. I've ordered a pressure gauge (a fiver on ebay) so will be sorting out my OPV next week too. Cheers for all the help guys.

Oh, and I got a bonus in work, so am planning on buying that PID next week too. Will keep you posted.

Good to hear you got that grinder working properly. Keep us posted on the PID mod, maybe take a few photos if you can?

• Advertisement

Well I just ordered the auberins.com PID kit. The guy that does the dual channel one wouldn't ship to Ireland. I figure it will be easy enough to keep the element on during steaming as there is a temp readout - my current method of guessing when it's about to turn off is a bit hit and miss.

I will certainly post some photos, but it seems pretty straightforward.

Advertisement