Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wow out of commission

• 16-09-2008 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I know that the forums are fairly lively atm with reports of abysmal service from our ISPs but I'm wondering if anyone is as badly affected as I am.

Since the 5th Sept I have been unable to play Wow at all. On the occasions when I have logged my chars, I get a DC within seconds or at most one or two minutes. The read on latency is anywhere from 1k to 11k (yes 11k :eek:) ms.

I imagine you gamers have some idea of how frustrated I am especially so since I am a senior member of my very active raiding guild.

Is this the norm for anyone else lately or should I start barking up another tree? I have lodged a complaint with UTV (my ISP) and Comreg concerning the service but all these things take time and meanwhile nothing changes.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im guessing this happened as soon as you wer eupgraded to a faster connection. You used to be able to ring up and downgrade your line to the old speed and you would be fine. But since then Eircom have turned on interleaving on for all services. So unless you can beg your isp to turn fasttrack back on its wont get better. They will tell you they can nto turn it on, but thats a load of crap since the llu has just changed in this country.

If you are desperate to get on, you coul dbuy a 3g usb modem. It might just work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Manties wrote: »
    If you are desperate to get on, you coul dbuy a 3g usb modem. It might just work.
    No! The contention kills these things (well, Three. dunno about vodafone), so if you are logging on during raiding hours, you are looking at 2k+ pings, and thats while not using vent. Only use for a 3g modem with wow was my nights off while working night shifts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

No! The contention kills these things (well, Three. dunno about vodafone), so if you are logging on during raiding hours, you are looking at 2k+ pings, and thats while not using vent. Only use for a 3g modem with wow was my nights off while working night shifts...

Using 2 tin cans and a piece of string, smoke signals or a carrier pigeon would give a faster ping and smoother connection than Three ( I have been stuck with it for over 18 months now).

Vodafone worked well, my brother was getting pings of under 100ms on CoD4, but we are close to the tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Eircom have network monitoring on which is affecting latency. However, I was upgraded and don't have any problems in wow - well none that aren't server related anyway. Bear in mind that patch day is approaching - it's normal (not acceptable) that it goes to ****e near a major patch - but it's Blizz's fault not Eircon's.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its actually Eircom who have caused the issues that most people are being effected by. Its kinda technical (i dont really get it, which is bad since i did networking in college), but after the upgrades, the quality of a lot of peoples lines went to ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've been getting a horrible horrible time, disconnecting every few minutes.

I disconnected skys phone line, and its not disconnecting as much, but still is.

Their customer service are playing stupid to it all.

But WoW is working ok for me, one-two disconnects during a session. It hs improved i have to say since last week when my net was disconnecting every 1 minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

You could try use a VPN service like Relakks.com - dial it (over your UTV internet) and then considerable lower ping times as you'll be connecting from Sweden.

Worked perfectly fine for me in the past when I had similar problems.

Problem wasn't actually with my ISP (Irish Broadband) but with one of their carriers in-between the link, think it was level3 if I remember right.

Ping times went from 2,000+ down to around 80ms with Relakks

One thing though that would be worth doing before this is to open a GM ticket and just let them know in advance what you are doing and why exactly. Reason I say that is because over zealous GM's might notice a sudden change in IP address used to connect and play your account - either thinking you've sold it onwards or that some chinese farmers/pro levelling companies are farking about with your account - or you were hacked.

Otherwise though, perfectly good option to use.

Really though the problem is with your ISP or one of their carriers used to link you to the Wow servers.

Advertisement