Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the quickest way to get to Dublin from Cavan?

Options
  • 16-09-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I've recently moved to Cavan town from Dublin and am working up in Dubling 3 days a week. At the moment I am driving up and its grand because its bright in the morning and evening but I am getting a little concerned that I will be like a demon when winter comes as I will be leaving in the dark and coming home in the dark:(. So I was wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation and if so what's the best way to travel? Bus? Sneaky shortcuts by car that very few know about?! Get the train from somewhere? Any suggestions will be very gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 irish59575

I guess if you are working in the city centre the bus is easier on account of it being just as fast (or faster due to the bus lanes near the city) and the fact that you can chill out as opposed to trying to avoid loopers on the road. I will be going up and down to DCU four days a week starting on the 29th of this month and I plan to break it up between driving and buses. I have done quite a bit of driving up and down to Dublin due to work in the last couple of years and one thing I have found is that (depending on where u live in Cavan) it saves about an hour coming home by Mullingar in the evening if you are leaving Dublin anytime between 3.30 and 6

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bedhead

Really?? I live just outside Cavan town - I have also done a lot of Cavan-Dublin-Cavan driving and I would never have thought to come through Mullingar... Must give it a go! Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 irish59575

yea, but remember it only saves time in peak hours, generally there are hold ups at clonee and kells in the evening but its cruising all the way up the N4 to Mullingar, get off the castlepollard exit and head through castlepollard to finea to ballinagh, it takes an hour and fifty that way in peak traffic times and I'm not a fast driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I drive home that way sometimes on a Friday evening too. OK you have to pay the €2.70 toll at Enfield, but I would be paying €2 on the M50 otherwise, and sitting in traffic in Dunshaughlin, Navan and Kells. You have to be in West Dublin to make it worthwhile, I reckon, otherwise you sit in traffic to get to the M4.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bedhead

Well tried out the new route yesterday evening - left work at 4.50 and was at home in my house at 6.55! Am well impressed. Normally at that time in the evening it would take me about an hour and a half to get to Dunshaughlin never mind the rest of the way. Thanks a million!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

irish59575 wrote: »
    yea, but remember it only saves time in peak hours, generally there are hold ups at clonee and kells in the evening but its cruising all the way up the N4 to Mullingar, get off the castlepollard exit and head through castlepollard to finea to ballinagh, it takes an hour and fifty that way in peak traffic times and I'm not a fast driver

I have used this route twice in the last month. Once when coming from Lucan(2.30pm) and last Saturday when I was going to Tallaght(6pm). Took 95 minutes. I was very impressed as I usually use the N3 route.

Advertisement