Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying 2nd hand 4x4

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

this would be DEADly http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Granada/2.9-Hearse/933315/ theres a V6 one as well but its eleven grand :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

landydef wrote: »
    this would be DEADly http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Granada/2.9-Hearse/933315/ theres a V6 one as well but its eleven grand :D

snap it up quick........there's loads of punters DYING to buy it!

boom boom!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

snap it up quick........there's loads of punters DYING to buy it!

boom boom!:D:D

Brings back memories of that awful joke about the taxi driver that used to drive a hearse:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Stekelly wrote: »
    It'll fit in an estate from dash to bootlid too. Passenger can sit behind the driver. With a commercial 4x4 or van he's only going to have 2 seats anyway.

good point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Ok, after much searching and reading I have come full circle and am again looking at a 4x4. I've narrowed it down to two, either a Hilux Surf 2.5 or a Mitsubishi Pajero/Challenger/Shogun(Sport) 2.5. I'm pretty sure a 9 ft board will fit in any of these, albeit protruding between the seats.

So criteria are diesel, max 10 years old, max 2.5 ltr engine, possibly commercial, max 100,000 miles. I intend to go north or UK as they are definitely cheaper and also a much better selection. Some more questions:

- What's the difference between the Mitsubishi Pajero/Challenger/Shogun? They seem to be a variation of the same thing. Is any one in particular better than the others?
    - What's the fuel consumption like on any of these...will be going for 2.5 ltr diesel max?
    - Any known issues with any? For example I know that about 20% of Hilux Surfs have head gasket problems, although not a big job to get fixed seemingly.

Thanks again - replies so far have been very helpful.

Ciaran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

as you're now definetly looking for a 4x4, I've moved this thread to the definete 4x4 forum :D

Well I'm nothing if not decisive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Everyone, and i really mean everyone that owns a Pajero that i've talked to says that they guzzle juice. I can't say much for the old model Cruisers as i honeslty don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

might i suggest a toyota previa type of vehicle

i had one and could get 12ft timber inside with the doors closed

the back seat all fold down to make a huge bed:rolleyes:

they are dead comfy on the road and the 4x4 will not see you stuck at the beach

and they are cheap

• Advertisement

oflynno wrote: »
    might i suggest a toyota previa type of vehicle

i had one and could get 12ft timber inside with the doors closed

the back seat all fold down to make a huge bed:rolleyes:

they are dead comfy on the road and the 4x4 will not see you stuck at the beach

and they are cheap

Ya they look quite good actually, but had a look on Autotrader.co.uk and seems they only come in 2.4 petrol which would be too steep to run and tax etc. Pity because they would be ideal every other way.

no they are also in 2.2turbo diesel and they are quite economical

they are cheap to buy vs a 4x4 and that tax ain't too bad at that

no they are also in 2.2turbo diesel and they are quite economical

they are cheap to buy vs a 4x4 and that tax ain't too bad at that

Ok couldn't find any diesel models but will look again, could be a runner with a 2.2 diesel engine.

ching ching

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/837285

also search for estima or lucida

let me know the rough budget and the condition you want and i'll keep an eye out

ching ching

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/837285

also search for estima or lucida

let me know the rough budget and the condition you want and i'll keep an eye out

Nice one thanks for that. My budget would be around 4k sterling - will be going north or over to UK to buy as there's a lot more bang for buck over there. I searched autotrader again and found some diesel estima and lucidas, but I can't find any newer than 1999. Ideally I'd hope to go for a 01 or 02. Have they stopped making them, and if so would there be problems getting parts?

no they haven't stopped making them but ithink the model numbers changed

have a look on google images and you will see.

the other thing is the lucida and estima are jap imports,the previa is apparantley irish/english.the parts do slightly vary but all are availible.

the main dealers can be a waste of time but there are some good owners clubs in the uk that have sourced spares and of course good old ebay

i had to replace a cv joint 500yoyos plus vat from toyota or 150 yoyos including cdelivery to the door from the uk from ebay.and that was just for the part.

• Advertisement
Advertisement