Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought a D-Link DI-655 extreme N router, any settings I should know about?

Options
  • 16-09-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

My current setup is a IrishBroadband Breeze -to- a Blueface NetGear TA612V VoIP Router -to- a netgear WGR614 cable router -to- a Dell XP pc.I also have a JVC DD3 Network Media Player and a Pinnacle Showcenter connected via ethernet cables.There are also 2 Dell Laptops on the network (an XPS 1710 and an Inspiron - both running Vista).

I went for the D-Link because of reviews on the net, I found the Netgear very hit and miss and it kept dropping conections with the laptops.Seeing as its a draft N router, and my 2 wireless laptops are draft G, are there any issues I should know about? Can I expect a notable improvement in performance with both the wireless and wired connections?

The Netgear also seemed to give very bad VOIP signal if I was downloading at a high speed,I seen on D-Link tv that this router gives priority to VOIP and such. Has anybody any experience with VOIP and this router?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

Shouldnt you have asked this question before your purchase?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

Cat5 wrote: »
    Shouldnt you have asked this question before your purchase?:D

Yeah, kinda got caught up with the good reviews, but by all acounts it should be a big improvement on my present router.I just never had a draft N router and was looking for advice on any problems that might crop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I had one of those, with only wireless N clients it was really fast and I really liked how quickly the gui worked (compared to a netgear router ihad).

However when I added a G client, performance dropped significantly. I believe that this is a common problem with most N routers.

It ended badly though, after 3 months it started rebooting constantly (as in every 30 seconds to 1 minute). I have found that this failure was likely caused by me having the router flat on the desk, the airflow over the processor inside was not good enough and it overheated. Make sure you stand it up.

BigEejit wrote: »
    I had one of those, with only wireless N clients it was really fast and I really liked how quickly the gui worked (compared to a netgear router ihad).

However when I added a G client, performance dropped significantly. I believe that this is a common problem with most N routers.

It ended badly though, after 3 months it started rebooting constantly (as in every 30 seconds to 1 minute). I have found that this failure was likely caused by me having the router flat on the desk, the airflow over the processor inside was not good enough and it overheated. Make sure you stand it up.

Thanks for the tip, do you think it would work better wall-mounted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I dont know, as long as the air holes arent blocked I suppose it would work...

• Advertisement

BigEejit wrote: »

I've had it installed a few days now and to be honest, the performance (wireless) is'nt any better than my old netgear router.BigEejit, what "N" client were you using with the router, was it a laptop? If I thought an express card "N" adaptor would imrove the range of my wireless laptop I might invest in one.

Advertisement