Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PPI Radio Awards 2008

• 16-09-2008 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

It's that time of year again - when the cream of the crop are supposedly acknowledged. Held for the first time outside Dublin this year - in Kilkenny.

For those interested, the shortlist for each award can be found here:-
    http://www.ppiradioawards.com/shortlist.asp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

"The Tribute to Joe Dolan" counts as Social Action programming?

I guess you don't have too much to choose from when you ignore the entire community radio sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Eamon Lowe show at long last being reconised:) How Eamon Keane gets nominated for anything i'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

I guess you don't have too much to choose from when you ignore the entire community radio sector.

In fairness there were probably more people listening to the Joe Dolan tribute than listen to the entire community radio sector in Ireland combined.

Still though, the awards are an awful waste of time but a great way for event management companies to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

What you gotta remember with these awards is that the radio stations and presenters in most categories choose the programme and excerpt. It means that a show that is consistantly good can be beaten by a very average show that has one moment of brilliance, which is fair enough - but sometimes the shortlist and winners can be a little distorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Can shows on Community radio enter the awards?

Does anybody think they should have a seperate catagory for Community Radio stations?

• Advertisement

I think there is certainly merit in including a category or two for community stations. The problem I suppose is that there is a hefty fee to enter and to attend, which would possibly be beyond the reach of most community stations. Perhaps a compromise would be to allow community stations enter for free, but finalists have to pay for their seats. Maybe the BCI could subsidise the costs associated with processing and judging the community entries out of their sound and vision govt funding.

djsupreme wrote: »
    Perhaps a compromise would be to allow community stations enter for free, but finalists have to pay for their seats. Maybe the BCI could subsidise the costs associated with processing and judging the community entries out of their sound and vision govt funding.

That's a good idea. A very good idea.

But if a community show were to think about entering, they have all year to save up. It's only €100 or something like that for one entry.

They would manage €100 for a PPI.

Are Community shows allowed to enter normal categories?

I don't know the answer to that...but if I was to make a call, I would assume that any station licenced legally by the BCI would be entitled to enter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

E5:Speech Broadcaster of the Year

Programme Title

Radio Station
    Stephen NolanBBC Radio UlsterAdrian KennedyFM 104Orla BarryNewstalk 106 John DrummeyRadio KerryJoe FinneganShannonside Northern Sound

You're having a laugh now, if she gets I really will eat my hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Greenman wrote: »

You're having a laugh now, if she gets I really will eat my hat.

Well don't crash your truck while you're doing it!!

Incidently, why are stations that that are out of the BCIs control,i.e in the North, included in the awards?? Just curious.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

For the love of god please dont let Foley win anything this year. :mad:

FearDark wrote: »
    For the love of god please dont let Foley win anything this year. :mad:

Why? He's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sweet Jesus, tell me I didn't read that drivel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I think the category Ray is in does not suit his show. It's a music based award and Ray does not play enough music compared to the other nominees - the same thing happened to him last year and he didn't win the same category either.

Big Balls wrote: »
    I think the category Ray is in does not suit his show. It's a music based award and Ray does not play enough music compared to the other nominees - the same thing happened to him last year and he didn't win the same category either.

I agree but he managed to get nominated 2wice. so i'd say the PPI people think differently of what a music show is.

Fago_25 wrote: »
    I agree but he managed to get nominated 2wice. so i'd say the PPI people think differently of what a music show is.

Have you seen the PPI judging panel?

There's lots of radio people on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Do people really take this shít seriously????

Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Hang on a minute there monkeyfudge, why dont you take that massive chip off your shoulder as we could start a whole new debate about the commercial v community radio debate.

But this isnt what this thread is all about and as a moderator, you should have the good sense not to make comments that will start an argument.

The PPI radio awards, has always been and will always be about commercial radio in Ireland. Granted, this has also extended to Northern Ireland in the past few years.

You obiviously do not work in commercial radio or at least havnt witnessed some of the quality programming that comes out of some of the regional radio stations around the country. Why dont you air your problem with Joe Dolan on Midlands 103. Seeing as the man is from Mullingar as is regarded as a national hero. So by producing, and presenting a show on a tribute to a local hero, this station has done what it set out to do. Serve the local area.

The same could be said about Shannonside, who on a lighter note tailed Will Ferrrell on his recent trip to Longford to track his Irish roots.

I suppose Live 95 didnt serve the local community when it reported on the ongoing troubles in Moyross and areas like that. What was sending in local reporters all about.

Or even the biggest story of the last 5 odd years, that of the victim of Dr Michael Neary that spoke on LMFM about her suffering so that others could then speak out.

Every local station in every county in this country covers the main local matters. Up and down the country from Billy Mc Carthy in WLR to Joe Finnegan in shannonside to Shaun Doherty in Highland.

Your argument 'I guess you don't have too much to choose from when you ignore the entire community radio sector' is seriously flawed and I invite you to do your research the next time before you make such a sweeping statement.

After all the entries, u still haven't got shortlisted Flutterin? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Thank christ Eamon Keane didnt win! well done Tony Fenton and Eamon Lowe :) Pat kenny deserved an award aswell he is consistently on top of his game every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Nice to see Marian Finucane win, as opposed to the dimwits who feature on daytime radio. But Phony Fenton for Music presenter??? The guy plays the same songs in the same order every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

http://www.ppiradioawards.com/2008/winners_2008.asp

Newstalk will have to make new jingles. No PPI National station of the year for them. Actually, Newstalk got one "Gold" award, compared with 4 last year.

Congrats to Derek Byrne and his Album Archive, getting a silver award for Phantom.

A lot of the stalwarts of previous PPI award nights didn't fare too well this year. No D'arcy, for instance. Awards nights are sometimes a joke, but it is interesting that quite a number who come in for stinging criticism here didn't get the gongs this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Love or him or hate him, Tony Fenton will always be under consideration because of his overall contribution to Irish radio, even going back to his pirate days. Again Mary Wilson overlooked for her Drivetime Show, I think she presents it very well and is light years ahead of anyone at her time schedule (Will Leahy, The Last Word).

Bronze for Gollum and Dim Dim I see. No surprises for Morning Ireland as they are untouchable imho.

Well done Radio 1 (National station of the year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The PPI radio awards, has always been and will always be about commercial radio in Ireland. Granted, this has also extended to Northern Ireland in the past few years.

Why is that? I'm not disaggrEeing with your post , but why are the other sectors of the Irish radio community ignored in the PPI. If they are radio awards should they not cater for all radio station. It smack a little of snobbery to me, there are quality programmes on Community Radio etc that deserve recognition. Do craol run their own awards ceremony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

I doubt many community stations could afford to enter the PPI awards. It's an expensive night out for most stations and the cost of entry would also be difficult.

Perhaps there is room for one category at the ceremony where community stations are recognised and allowed enter for free.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Oh, interesting to see iRadio/i102-104 getting a few awards. Not bad for a newbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gordonsalive

Foley didn't win, in any case!!

I doubt many community stations could afford to enter the PPI awards. It's an expensive night out for most stations and the cost of entry would also be difficult.

Perhaps there is room for one category at the ceremony where community stations are recognised and allowed enter for free.

I'm not sure that argument is valid. For one it's a sponsored event so something could easily be organised for the less well of sector . Failing that other award ceremonies make awards to people who are unable to collect in person.

People in the community sector usually personally finance their involvement, to brush them off with a " they couldn't afford to attend the PPI" is belittleing and a little snobbish to say the least.

How can you ignore a large section of an industry when claiming to celebrate the art and skill of that industry?

• Advertisement

You mustn't have heard how well Radio 1 did on Friday night yet so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

The Muppet wrote: »

People in the community sector usually personally finance their involvement, to brush them off with a " they couldn't afford to attend the PPI" is belittleing and a little snobbish to say the least.

How can you ignore a large section of an industry when claiming to celebrate the art and skill of that industry?

You've taken me up wrong. In no way was I trying to belittle community stations. I was involved with one for many years and believe they do serve a purpose. If you read my post, you'll see that I feel there could be a category recognising community radio and it could be free.

The point I'm making is that the PPI awards is an expensive time of year. Most stations will want to enter a few categories to be fair to presenters and shows. This coupled with the cost of attending the event/overnight accomodation can cost a few grand. This can be tough for local commercial stations, let alone a voluntary community station.

You've taken me up wrong. In no way was I trying to belittle community stations. I was involved with one for many years and believe they do serve a purpose. If you read my post, you'll see that I feel there could be a category recognising community radio and it could be free.

The point I'm making is that the PPI awards is an expensive time of year. Most stations will want to enter a few categories to be fair to presenters and shows. This coupled with the cost of attending the event/overnight accomodation can cost a few grand. This can be tough for local commercial stations, let alone a voluntary community station.

Apologies if I took you up wrong, I just dont agree with the notion that a sector of an Industry should be priced out of attending an awards ceremony for that Industry, particulaly if the ceremony is sponsored by the industries governing body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Tickets are €150 per person, most stations stump up for this. Staff usually pay for their own accommodation, unless you are actually nominated.

So, a community station might send up 6 staff x €150 and pay accommodation for whoever gets nominated. Not a huge amount, I'm sure CRAOL or the BCI could contribute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I love FM104 and they got some awards...but not enough in my opinon :p

The Strawberry Alarm Clock won an award for comedy, richly deserved. Pity the Phoneshow didn't win anything :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭MaltHouse Mouse

And 98 walked away with Local Station Of The Year - Music Driven? :eek:

Don't understand it but well done to Declan Pierce for all the hard work he put in in 98 when he was looking after music!! What a pity he is not still looking after the music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

DenMan wrote: »
    Again Mary Wilson overlooked for her Drivetime Show, I think she presents it very well and is light years ahead of anyone at her time schedule (Will Leahy, The Last Word.

While I agree Drivetime is a better show than the Last Word (probably not fair to compare Will Leahy's show with Drivetime), I don't really like Mary Wilson as a presenter. She's very weak imo and often sounds like she's not even listening to what her guests are saying. I think Keellin Shanley does a much better job when she fills in, she asks tougher questions and sounds genuinely interested in all of the topics covered in the show.

Big Balls wrote: »
    You mustn't have heard how well Radio 1 did on Friday night yet so.

You obiviously didnt look at the date that I made that post. Back in September when I dont think we even had the shortlist. RTE may not be commercial radio in exact terms but it does behave like mainstream commercial radio. Well done to all involved in RTE, especially those responsible for Radio 1 picking up National Station of the year.

In response to Muppet, the answer to why community radio doesnt get included in the PPI's? I simply do not know.

And 98 walked away with Local Station Of The Year - Music Driven? :eek:

Don't understand it but well done to Declan Pierce for all the hard work he put in in 98 when he was looking after music!! What a pity he is not still looking after the music.

After 7 years of doing the same job, maybe he wanted a change. Are you not going to give any credit to the PD or APD for the music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

While I agree Drivetime is a better show than the Last Word (probably not fair to compare Will Leahy's show with Drivetime), I don't really like Mary Wilson as a presenter. She's very weak imo and often sounds like she's not even listening to what her guests are saying. I think Keellin Shanley does a much better job when she fills in, she asks tougher questions and sounds genuinely interested in all of the topics covered in the show.

Your right, not a show comparison just scheduling one, i.e ratings. She (Mary Wilson) has improved drastically over the last year or so imo.

That would be down to Keelin's Primetime background imo. Her Radio France and CNN experiences also give a lot of experience to draw on too as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭MaltHouse Mouse

After 7 years of doing the same job, maybe he wanted a change. Are you not going to give any credit to the PD or APD for the music?

Why would I credit them? The PD is only there a couple of months! Let's be honest here, it is Dec who put in all the effort music wise so therefore I personally think that he is the one who deserves the credit for the station winning the music driven award!

• Advertisement

You obiviously didnt look at the date that I made that post. Back in September when I dont think we even had the shortlist. RTE may not be commercial radio in exact terms but it does behave like mainstream commercial radio. Well done to all involved in RTE, especially those responsible for Radio 1 picking up National Station of the year.

In response to Muppet, the answer to why community radio doesnt get included in the PPI's? I simply do not know.

I saw the date, you said the PPIs will always be about.... Your post date wasn't the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Amount of alcohol consumed at the PPI's!

After a few years on the continent it was almost re-culture shock to see the level of consumption there!!

Anyone who has seen the episode of Family Guy where the aircraft lands at Shannon airport/Dublin airport on a surface of empty green beer bottles would know what I mean!

I guess the Irish live up to the international reputation then.

Jeez Enda....if it disgusts you THAT much that people have a few drinks at their industry awards do, maybe you should stay on the continent?

djsupreme wrote: »
    Jeez Enda....if it disgusts you THAT much that people have a few drinks at their industry awards do, maybe you should stay on the continent?

Well actually it was the observation of a few other people there. And, it was more than a few drinks! What is it in general in Irish society that we don't know how to stop drinking when it's enough?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Right on Enda
    While I did not attend the awards this year I was there last year.I did not particularly notice wild drinking in the Burlington and had a great night at my table.
    I may have been lucky given the mixture of people,no heavy industry types,I met who had great stories which gave the required more natural buzz.
    Unfortunately the cafe society you experienced while on the continent is not likely to catch on in Ireland -more's the pity.

:):):):)

Right on Enda
    While I did not attend the awards this year I was there last year.I did not particularly notice wild drinking in the Burlington and had a great night at my table.
    I may have been lucky given the mixture of people,no heavy industry types,I met who had great stories which gave the required more natural buzz.
    Unfortunately the cafe society you experienced while on the continent is not likely to catch on in Ireland -more's the pity.

:):):):)

Indeed! More's the pity!! There is a lot more of the type of night you refer to at the Burlo going on over here than what can only be described as a slaughterhouse effort not just at PPI's but at things like weddings and other functions in Ireland generally. It's like a race to get beyond drunk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

lads, please keep it on topic. The humanities forum is there to discuss the broader aspects.

Advertisement