Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom bundle vs Ntl phone/cable/internet

Options
  • 16-09-2008 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hey.

Have Ntl basic with internet 3mb connection (sometimes) and eircom for the phone.

The phone bills are quite high and so was thinking of bundling eircom phone with their internet as there are savings to be made.

It's that or change to NTL for the phone as their line rental is only €4.

But Ntl broadband has been fairly crap the last few weeks so was wondering what Eircom are like for Broadband usually. I know each company has their share of complainants but in general, what's their broadband reputation like vs Ntl?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Ok, I can't comment on Eircom as have not used them for years. I have noticed them called Eircon around here though!!!

I just wanted to comment on the NTL phone service, if thats any help to you. I have the €4 line rental and an "all day" calls package for landlines in Ireland for another €10. We got the phone service on May 1st and have had one outage, it was recently when the BB was also down. I have noticed no difference in the quality of sound etc from the phone line. Its saving me quite a bit too, I am now getting my TV, BB and phone for less than what my BB & phone used to cost when I had a phoneline.

One thing though. I asked the Sales guy from NTL if the phone service was VOIP and he said no. Can someone explain how it couldn't be VOIP??!! I am not a slouch when it comes to technology, but I am not a tech wizard either. I would stake a few bob on it being VOIP :rolleyes: Be wary of what the sales people tell you and do your own research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    I would stake a few bob on it being VOIP :rolleyes:
    You're right, it is VoIP. But it's not VoIP in the sense of Skype or Blueface, as many people regard it - it's a system called "PacketCable". UPC use QoS on the VoIP data, and the voice data never actually goes onto the internet, beyond UPC's own cable network. Fax modems and sky digiboxes are able to work fine over it, something which is literally impossible to achieve on Blueface.

@The OP: The house phone was recently switched over to the UPC phone system from a Smart line - apart from dialtones and ringing signals sounding a little different, there's no difference whatsoever when using the phone. Sound quality's grand. Got the €14 line rental and any day Ireland calls package aswell - just over half what you pay eircom every month, and that's before you even lift the bloody phone...

I'm sure NTL's problems as of late will be sorted once upgrades are fully done. Eircom's recent upgrades have apparently caused ping times to rocket on their broadband service. Eircom just can't compete with NTL with regards ping times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thanks a million for that lads.

Gonna do full comparison of call charges too and more research on eircom bb before making a decision.

Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Have a look at a third party provider like http://www.blueface.ie you'll save far more that way. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Have a look at a third party provider like http://www.blueface.ie you'll save far more that way. :)

If you make international calls then yes, but otherwise no.

Blueface unlimited UK and Ireland calls: €15
    UPC unlimited UK and Ireland calls: €14

And you have to buy special equipment for Blueface

Also you get the advantage of Quality of Service settings and capability with fax, sky boxes, etc with UPC.

On the other hand blueface have some nice all management features like voicemail to email, etc.

Just making the point that it isn't that clear cut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In addition blueface customer support appears to be top class and I don't believe I've ever seen a complaint from one of their customers, NTL on the other hand :)

Tks for info Kensington. I think I am glad the CS rep didn't go into that detail over the phone, I probably would have switched off, its just easier to read it.

BK, I didn't realise that the UPC package was for unlimited to Ireland and UK, I thought it was just Ireland. Good tip :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    BK, I didn't realise that the UPC package was for unlimited to Ireland and UK, I thought it was just Ireland. Good tip :)

Sorry IsThatSo, I just double checked and it isn't, it is Ireland only.

Really sorry about that, hope I haven't caused you any hassle, it was a cut and paste error.

bk wrote: »
    Sorry IsThatSo, I just double checked and it isn't, it is Ireland only.

Really sorry about that, hope I haven't caused you any hassle, it was a cut and paste error.

No worries, I would have only been trying to find UK numbers to ring for the craic anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭maurice1

Hi just started using Poivy on my Draytek router with ATA adaptor with NTL broadband. Works perfectly when NTL broadband works.
    5cent / min to Irish mobiles and free to most worldwide landlines makes it hard to beat.

• Advertisement

maurice1 wrote: »
    Hi just started using Poivy on my Draytek router with ATA adaptor with NTL broadband. Works perfectly when NTL broadband works.
    5cent / min to Irish mobiles and free to most worldwide landlines makes it hard to beat.

Just curios, can't find the info on the site, how much do you have to pay for credit to get the free calls for every 120 days?

Advertisement